Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Getting Into Shape!

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 15:33:08 )
Staff Memo:
This thread was locked due to inactivity, if you wish to unlock your thread please issue a ticket. Instructions to unlock thread found here.

I've decided to use this summer as an opportunity to get into shape. I'll be working at a sleepaway camp with no access to any sort of junk food. It just seems like the best time to kick some habits.

I get three meals a day there and I'll be outside constantly engaged in activities that include hiking, swimming, canoeing, kayaking, sports, etc.

I also want to get some exercise during breaks, at night before bed and in the morning. Anyone else here working on themselves and have some advice to share? I don't even know where to begin.

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 15:41:12 )
So, I was a size 18 and went to a size 9 without trying to lose weight. I mean, I did things that were definitely in line with most people's recipe for success, but it was not my original goal. The things that ended up changing my body type were quitting soda, minimizing sugars, and just POWERWALKING through my work day.
*reads @SirLionelNigelConrad: 's post*
yes, that! Obviously there can be other factors, like metabolism and lifestyle... I wish I knew what a nutritionist does... (I'm pretty much winging it through pre-diabetes and hoping for the best.)

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 16:01:39 )
@SirLionelNigelConrad: I've been doing that. I cut out most junk food, including soda, chips, candy and chocolate. Drinking lots of water and started walking to work and home. My main weakness is fast food right now. As bad as it is I crave salt super bad sometimes and sometimes a fry from McDonald's or a burger from Wendys is sooooo satisfying. But I haven't touched fast food for a week so.. so far so good.

@Glume: Yeah, I've been winging it myself. I mostly just have to work on staying away from dang fast food and walking more.

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 16:13:35 )
@nyreen: For me, home cooking is the best way to stay away from it... (I know, "no duh, glume!") but time and money are always factors that make me go back. I just want to be a little spoiled and not cook one day of the month, ya know? But as far as taste goes, I can make healthier and tastier versions of my favorite fast food choices at home with the help of youtube. If you want to swap recipes ever just let me know!
*hides recipe for brownie pie*

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 16:26:08 )
@Glume: Thaaaat's true! I can just look up homemade versions of my favorite fast foods. Also I've been eating vegetarian way more when cooking at home so I'm spending less money on groceries. Meat can be so expensive.

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 16:39:30 )
OHMAN, @nyreen: I found a great alternative for when that fries/chips craving hits me. Dry some chickpeas/garbanzo beans and slap 'em on a cookie sheet with some whatever oil and whatever seasonings, bake at 300/400 until they're of a fantastic deliciousness. Garbanzos are great for all sorts of things.
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 16:47:22 )
@Glume: What the heck. I never thought of that! I'll have to try that!
call me grem
they/them

Voltie — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/26 01:08:50 )
I'm not trying to lose any weight as I am, but rather trying not to put any more on, and all I've been doing to avoid that is walking in the mornings and evenings, keeping track of water and limiting snacks. I can't go without any junk food, I'm too weak for that, but limiting it is the key (in my experience). It sounds silly but things like counting how many chips you're eating and making sure not to go over the single serving is proving to be really helpful (because we all crave sugar sometimes...).
If, however, you're looking to avoid junk food altogether (for which I must applaud you - that is a brave action and something I could never will myself to do) then I recommend trying out things like Glume mentioned, try to satisfy that craving with something more on the healthy side that still tastes really good.
Ah, I would also be careful with fruits."Fruits are chock-full of nutrients like vitamins, minerals, dietary fibre and phytonutrients, which help us stay healthy and even reduce the risk of disease" so please remember to eat them haha, but also keep your fruit range wide and don't stick to one type, because that could potentially be bad for you. Apparently.

My advice is only from experience, and from what other people have passed onto me, so if anything doesn't work for you I want to apologise in advance.
"Let the past die. Kill it, if you have to..."

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.