Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free
Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 02:36:20 )
So I never watched Avatar: The Last Airbender when it originally aired or The Legend of Korra. I recently watched both and fell in love. They're re-releasing Avatar: The Last Airbender on Blu-Ray and I'm going to have to pick that up. I'm also starting to read the comics. * u*

Did you watch/read either? Who is your favorite character? Favorite episode/Season? What's something that you wish had been done differently? Least favorite character/thing?

This thread was locked due to inactivity, if you wish to unlock your thread please issue a ticket. Instructions to unlock thread found here.

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 03:22:32 )
@nyreen: I watched both of the serieses and I can say I like The Last Airbender better. Its hard to say why though.

The Last Airbender has a younger more, upbeat cast with a coming of age story and beautifully written character development and believable bonds of friendship. The Legend of Korra series was also a coming of age story but abit more on the serious, more grownup side, dealing more with problems like political extremism and overcoming depression.

The world is definitely engaging and makes you wanna live there just like in Harry Potter or Narnia. I think Toph the earthbender might be my favorite character from both of them. She is a strong, no nonsense, blunt character who is unyielding as stone, but has a heart of gold.

The animations are also extremely well done, both fights and chase scenes. They are a really talented team.

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 05:58:04 )
@Saeyra: My problem with Korra is how much it focused on relationships and drama at first. I'm glad that in the end that Korra and Mako recognised how unhealthy they were together but a more in depth moment between the two would have been better. It could have been a great teaching moment for the viewers.

Another issue I had was Bolin interrupting really sentimental moments with his humor. I get it. They were trying to have someone like Sokka but.. It fell flat sometimes.

Also Asami just kinda fell into the background a lot and didn't do much for a while up until her relationship with Korra. I felt so bad for her. It felt like she was just "the girlfriend" while she was with Mako.

I really loved Korra's growth in the end though and there were a lot of really sweet, touching moments like when they discovered that opening up the spirit world crated more Airbenders.

I also loved the animation and how Korra was the opposite of Aang. Aang is awesome himself! I think my favorite character from The Last Airbender has to be Zuko tho. Crazy well done character development. I'm happy they didn't end up putting him with Katara, I read they originally wanted that but then her relationship with Aang was super organic and real, so they went with that. I wish we could have seen more of the original gang in another season or an actual well done movie.. but at least there's the comics!

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 06:53:14 )
@nyreen: Zuko is probably my second favorite haha his relationship with Aang is the best bromance ever. The way it evolved from sworn enemies to friends, realizing they are both just people and even if they grew up differently they had much more in common than they thought. I loved how they ended up fighting side by side and I was rooting for them the whole way! It felt like Zuko needed to be reminded it was safe to be himself and have his own beliefs. And also sometimes be a kid and act his age. I have met many kids that grew up too fast like Zuko and he was portrayed really well. :vanora_smile:

Also you are right Asami had no development of her own most of the time and felt like an afterthought, or a piece to create drama. But I have an issue with Korra herself she wasn't as engaging as Aang. Her personality was rather bland...she didn't have likes and dislikes and you know..people things. Like what is her favorite food, color, hobby, pet etc. Simple things like that would have made her more relatable to me at least.

Another good point you made is that yeah I wanted to see more cameos of the original cast and what they are up to and they came up very short on that end.

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 07:17:58 )
@Saeyra: Yes! The growth between Aang and Zuko was amazing. I'm suddenly reminded of the amazing relationship between Iroh and Zuko. When they were reunited I burst into tears haha. I think I cried at least every few episodes with The Last Airbender.

You're right! Korra could have expressed herself more authentically. I think she was stiff, guarded and abrasive because she was incredibly insecure. She was also really naive in trusting so many times and impulsive. Really stubborn. I know she loved Nala but even then her companionship with Nala never went too deep. I feel like most relationships in Korra were just scratching the surface.

Edit: There was for sure character development but it could have been way better. Asami was poorly written an forgotten. Even Mako was pretty weak at times. Bolin too. They just didn't feel like they had super strong personalities sometimes.

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 16:06:44 )
@nyreen: Iroh and Zuko was the father-son relationship he should have had. I like how Iroh keeps telling him to relax. Iroh has a very fun way of taking care of Zuko while making Zuko think he is the boss. Its a very hands off approach but still guiding when he needs it the most. I cried at the part when Iroh went to his son's grave.

My favourite new characters in Legend of Korra were actually Aang's grandkids. They had so much life! But yeah lots of missed opportunities for character development.

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/26 15:06:27 )
@Saeyra: I looooove their relationship. Iroh singing to his deceased son broke my heart! I'm remembering how well written most of Avatar: The Last Airbender is! It's such a good show. Another favorite relationship of mine is Zuko and Katara.

I like Jinora the most haha, I think the grandchildren had some of the best character development.

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/26 21:01:51 )
@nyreen: Yeah would have preferred if the story was completely about Jinora XD. Oh I forgot Bumi! Love him both in the first series and the second series! Gosh why couldn't we just have stuck to Aang's family. It was a pretty awesome family. The Legend of Jinora and her family. Even though I didn't really enjoy the Legend of Korra I still hope they make more serieses about the world of the Avatar. Like maybe go back in time instead of forward. Or just go back to follow Zuko around while he is learning to be a good king and Aang learning how to be a grownup in general XD

Always ping me please.

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/27 01:35:20 )
@Saeyra: It would have been great to see a series about Aang, Zuko, Katara and Sokka first before going into Korra's story. And Korra's story should have been better written ughhh. I still love it but it needs work! At least there is going to be a new comic about the original Avatar gang. :)
call me grem
they/them

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.