Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat I'm probably not a psychopath after all

Donator — he/him Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/24 16:43:03 )
I think I'm just autistic. This has been a revelation. Between learning I'm transgender and recently researching autism and applying it to myself, it just explains every single weird thing about me and my past. It's a lot to take in, and thinking about how it will affect my future is daunting, but it's good to know. I guess. At least when I get discriminated against now I'll know why exactly lel. Idk if this is tmi; I just needed somewhere casual to post about it.

Donator — He/Him Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/24 17:06:53 )
Have you been like... diagnosed with anything?

Ping me!

Hangout

Donator — Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/24 17:26:25 )
Were you convinced you were a psychopath this whole time??

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/24 17:48:34 )
Perhaps see a psychologist or psychiatrist before self diagnosing. Helps a lot. Perhaps you're none of that and just a bit odd like the rest of us:)

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/24 17:55:22 )
Yes, do yourself a favor with an official diagnoses, but....
@SirLionelNigelConrad: Gender dysphoria is in fact not a mental illness, thats kind of hate speech. Check out what the American Psycological Association has to say about that, as I feel they would be the experts: http://www.apa.org/topics/lgbt/transgender.aspx
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Donator — Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/24 18:39:39 )
@SirLionelNigelConrad: I was asking the op. I don't know what behooved you to reply to me as you are not capable of answering my question.

And just to add, sociopathy and psychopathy are two closely related but different constructs in the field of mental health research. It has nothing to do with trying not to hurt other people's feelings.

I ask that you kindly mind your own conceit.

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/24 18:45:35 )
Just because you're not directly referring to someone in your comment, does not mean that someone cannot comment on what you said...it is a public forum.

Donator — Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/24 19:01:41 )
@Majesticles: Yes, and I replied to their comment pointing out the fact that they didn't and can't directly answer my question. Do you have a problem with that?

I seem to be having a lot of trouble with people misunderstanding what I asked today. And it seems to be the same people over and over again.

Donator — Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/24 19:12:28 )
@SirLionelNigelConrad: And why should you be giving advice? Did op ask for your advice?

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/24 19:13:01 )
If a lot of people have problems understanding you, then you should look to yourself for the cause of the misunderstandings, perhaps the way you form your sentences means something different to you than it does to others....I don't know. I just say it as I see it.

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/24 19:15:16 )
@Eruca: The op can freely ignore Nigel's advice just as Nigel can freely give his advice...why would he be prevented from doing it just because someone didn't actually ask for it? Any sort of input on a situation such as the op's might be beneficial, or detrimental, depending on what the op chooses to do with said given information.

Donator — Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/24 19:25:56 )
@Majesticles: By the same logic, Nigel could have ignored me and this whole thing wouldn't have happened. A conversation goes two ways, buddy. Don't try to put it on me.
Ping me

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/24 19:31:24 )
@Eruca: And you could have ignored him commenting on you....you see where this is going right? In circles. Just because he commented on something you said does not mean you needed to respond, but you did, and thus engaged in conversation. It is how you initially phrased or understood something that was commented on, as you seemingly chose to disregard one aspect of the DSM, while acknowledging the other. But yeah, action and reaction is the cause here, and if you felt like participating in this discussion regarding you is beneath you in someway or is not related to the topic at hand...you should not have responded?

Admin — He/Him Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/24 20:00:02 )
Hey Volties, It seems that this thread has gotten way off topic. I ask that you return to the topic at hand and treat one another with respect or I will have to lock this thread. Thank you!

Admin — He/Him Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/24 20:03:07 )
@keef: The way I see it, everyone is weird! xD Just do you. But if you are really concerned, I agree, an official diagnosis is always best! Heck, If an official diagnosis didn't matter, I'd have cancer or some other horrible illness I stumble upon every time I google symptoms of my cold. lol Thank you for sharing - we all need to vent sometimes. ^^
If you need assistance or just want to chat, you may contact me anytime by ping or PM.

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/24 23:25:39 )
@keef: Hey, keef. I'm happy to hear that you're making progress on your own journey to self-discovery.

I encourage you to see a medical professional to determine what exactly could be going on and to not self-diagnose too much! Self-diagnosing defs helped me with my own struggles but doing it too much can make things harder.

What you can do is purchase and keep a journal specifically for your health. Note changes in your mood and other potential concerns. Meet with a doctor and let them know your concerns and go from there. It'll be a long process but it'll be worth it! See if you can nab a family doctor so your visits are more consistent and not constantly from scratch.

If you need anyone to talk to then hmu. :vanora_smile:

Donator — he/him Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 00:27:50 )
Yeah I know ppl in the diagnosis field so I’m going to talk to them about a diagnosis. If I ever have energy again.

To clear things up, I don’t consider autism a bad thing. It’s how “normal” society reacts to it that is unfortunate, just as being trans isn’t bad but makes life more difficult because social norms are shit. I do have many symptoms and people I know with autism or who know an autistic person think I have it as well. I’m not so much considering it a shitty diagnosis as I am glad and relieved to have a label for my weird shit. I’m not a “little weird” or “a bit odd” — it’s more like “near debilitatingly strange to the point where most people can’t interact with me.”

I’m very different offline. I have trouble verbalizing and don’t talk nearly as much as I write in forums. Speech is a chore. A sometimes painful one.

Idk what else was said bc the first page is a mess, but yeah. Whatever.

Donator — he/him Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 00:30:45 )
And yes, I did genuinely think I was a psychopath of some level because of the way I think and my lack of emotion/interest in things. But autism is a more accurate diagnosis.

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 00:36:42 )
@keef: That's good and I know how much relief finding a label can be. I'm sorry that you had a difficult time figuring out what was up. It's really scary not knowing what is going on with yourself. I was really scared that I had a few mental illnesses but relieved to know I didn't ( not that having the others would be necessarily bad yknow ). You're on the right path, keep doing what's best for yourself and go at your own pace!
call me grem
they/them

Donator — he/him Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 02:05:30 )
@SirLionelNigelConrad: yeah that’s where I’m now. A few years ago I did view people as useful (or useless) idiots for awhile but I was going thru some shit and I’ve mostly chilled with that working at McDonald’s doesn’t help. Maybe it’s a mix.
previously keef with a k

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.