Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Glume's Collection of Irrational Fears

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/20 17:36:29 )
Hello my dears!

I'm starting a collection today, and I need your help.

I'm collecting irrational fears. So, if you're scared of something silly for seemingly no reason, share it here! I'll get us started with a few of my own.

Mannequins. Those creepy jerks just stare at you with blank, soulless eyes and a much better fashion sense. Did that one just change poses while I wasn't looking? I thought maybe I had seen some mannequin-based horror movie as a child, but whenever I look for it online I find some cheesey romance... so my conclusion is that they are actual evil incarnate.

Escalators. These modern conveniences are fantastic, unless you're always worried its going to suck up a loose bit of clothing and eat you alive. Also, how do you even dismount those things gracefully?

Big Mirrors.Turns out this one might not count for this particular collection... I've always felt uneasy around big mirrors, and never knew why. When I grew up and told my mother about this, she informed me a huge mirror fell on and shattered around me when I was a baby, but I was miraculously unharmed. Looks like I have a very legitimate reason to fear big mirrors. Too bad...

Voltie — Derpy Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/20 17:46:18 )
Spiders. I literally cannot handle them. I hate how creepy they are, and huge. We usually get wolf spiders because of all the crap plants the tenant before us planted all around the house. I’ve gotten better with tiny things.. but anything bigger than a quarter. I’m done. Done. Dooooooone. If I’m home alone, I’ll soak the floor in a can of raid, scream-crying the whole time.

.....and that’s more than I wanted to admit. LOL
...and my skin is crawling just thinking about them.

Elevators. I have been stuck inside one once. I don’t remember for how long, but it was only a small 2 story building (an old mall) and I was with my cousin and grandmother at the time if I remember correctly. They still make me uneasy. I like the ones with the glass that you can see out of, so if I do get stuck I can bang on it and get someone’s attention... but I’d rather the stairs..

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/20 17:49:06 )

Mannequins and clowns are not irrational fears. They are creepy.

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/20 18:03:39 )
@Alatariel: Oh man. I had a weird elevator once. I interned at a city building with my bff in high school, and every other time we would use the elevator, it would take us to the creepy basement. Nobody was waiting there when we got there, and it took a bit longer to start to go back to the top floor where we worked. Nobody else experienced this problem but us.

@Tuijp: True, but the probability of death by mannequin is relatively small. I assume. I've done no actual research on this, and if I did, I'd probably find out death by clown is more common than I'm comfortable with.

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/20 18:13:55 )

@Glume: death by clown would be the worst way for me to go. Anything but that.

Donator — ~love~ Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/20 18:18:58 )
Hrm let's see, when I was a kid I was scared of the quiet dark because I thought a ninja would pop off the cieling and stab me with a katana, does that count? I'm pretty much over the fear now though

awesome art by okios <33

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/20 18:19:04 )
@Tuijp: I have a love hate relationship with clowns. As a child I had the usual, healthy fear. Then when I realized I was a creepy lady who enjoyed being creepy, I occasionally dressed as a clown to just strut around town, and thats great fun... until Juggalos happened. No hate here, I'm just not one and don't want to be confused for one if I'm just trying to be weird XD

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/20 18:32:53 )

@Glume: a while ago, 2 people dressed up as clowns for the local school. I came by and they stood there and stared. They freaked me out.

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/20 18:34:44 )
@Tuijp: Thats pretty awful. I at least tried to be a friendly creepy clown lady haha. Poor guys must want to get jumped.

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/20 18:47:09 )
Bees, wasps, hornets. I was stung as a small child, and I've been a melissophobe ever since. Not quite as bad as when i was younger, but I still kinda nope away when there's one of the three less than 6-8 feet away, and I know about it. :vanora_sweat:
See what conventions I'll be at next

Final Fantasy XV: Worst. Bachelor Party. EVER.

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/20 18:52:10 )

@Glume: I wanted to give them a high five
With a chair
In the face
TAKE THAT CREEP AND STAY DOWN D<

Voltie — Derpy Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/20 19:01:03 )
@Glume: I would refuse anything but the stairs after the first time. Holy nope.

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/20 19:10:46 )
@Tuijp: I was going to suggest throat-punch, but you're idea is better. You never know where a clowns real mouth is.

@Alatariel: With my fear of escalators, I usually do opt for stairs :D

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/20 19:14:43 )

@Glume: it was that or a fun game of hit and run

Voltie — Derpy Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/20 19:41:41 )
@Glume: I don’t mind escalators so much.. I don’t like the rickety ones, and will usually avoid those.. lol

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/20 20:06:54 )
@Alatariel: Fair enough. I think the top looks like gleaming rows of metal teeth and I'm so not down.

Voltie — Derpy Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/20 20:41:48 )
@Glume: yeah- I’ve seen one when they take the stairs off and show the mechanics under. It’s creepy.
Artemis is my main

Voltie — She/It Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/21 00:20:07 )
I think my fear of clowns is beyond 'irrational', but... some of my fears feel rational when they're not. For example:

I'm a total pyrophobe. I jump just seeing someone light the stove in front of me (I can't manage to use a gas stove without a panic attack, honestly). Like, I just... I can't.

Being around drunks always make me nervous. I have a pretty good reason for the PTSD behind this, though. But... I know rationally that not all alcoholics are bad. I know not all drunk people are scary. I've seen one of my coworkers drunk and honestly it's fun as heck watching her because the only difference is she's giddier than usual at times and makes more typos. But otherwise? She's the same friend I adore no matter if she's drunk or not.

Thunder and any other loud noise literally send me into fetal position- but to be fair, I hear 10x louder than normal people so what you think of as a normal noise is already super loud to me if you're a normal person with average hearing. I blame that and my migraines.

I'm not so much 'afraid' of the sun as I am despising of it most of the time. It's too bright, gives me a headache, and I burn so easily it's insane.

And my final two: I fear my job of editing is going to be stolen by software like grammarly (though it probably won't be)... and I always fear I'm annoying people when they tell me I'm not. Like I apologize so much more than I should.

Oh... also bees. Keep them as far away from me as possible please. And mosquitoes, since I'm one of their favorite foods.

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/21 01:04:00 )
@Juneberry: I'm right there with you on sudden loud noises and *most* fire sources. I'm ok to cook, but cautious as possible anywhere else. I also despise the sun. It is far, far too bright. Too bad its so necessary for survival. *shakes a fist*
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Voltie — She/It Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/21 01:05:59 )
@Glume: I mean it's not *totally* necessary, the sun. It is, but... going out in it isn't. <- hermit
Also I fear people. That helps keep me hidden too.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.