Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Friend Breakups.

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/19 03:17:59 )
Staff Memo:
This thread was locked due to inactivity, if you wish to unlock your thread please issue a ticket. Instructions to unlock thread found here.

I need to vent, I'm feeling a bit sad and exhausted by this. I've only spoken to a couple people about this and I feel like getting it down somewhere will help with the healing process or whatever.

If you want to share your friend breakup experiences too then feel free to.

I decided today to spend less time with someone that I've known and been friends with for the past four years. We don't talk often anymore anyways since we've both moved onto new jobs and have grown into two different directions. Honestly, it was bound to happen and the friendship should have ended years ago.

I'm going to call this friend L. Some years ago we became slightly intimate, but it wasn't anything beyond the occasional smooching and cuddling. It was made very clear from the start that I wasn't interested in pursuing a romance with L. I communicated this multiple times. L was dating two other people, who also had their own second partner.

I met my now partner one night, we went on a couple dates, and around the same time both of L's partners broke up with them. L wanted to know if he, now partner, wanted to be exclusive. We had been going on dates for a bit and I really saw our relationship going somewhere. I asked and he wanted to be exclusive.

I knew L was going to be hurt but at the same time we were NOT a couple nor were we ever going to end up being a couple. I made it really clear and they told me that they understood. I know that people still develop feelings and all but felt confident that there wouldn't be issues.

After finding out that I was going to be exclusive with my now larger, L seemed to use me as their outlet and seemed to target me. L's reaction to their two partner's breaking up with them was entirely different. The were upset but never once took anything out on them. I think L knew that I was more passive and less likely to stand up for myself. I am guilty of doing this but have improved since then. L lashed out and placed the blame entirely on me, they even went as far to ask why they were always second place in relationships. Since their two partners had left them. I honestly didn't know what to say to that.

It made me spiral into this extreme anxiety and guilt. I kept trying to reason with myself that I was clear from the start. They wanted space and I respected that by not contacting them. They even implied that because I wouldn't make progress romantically with them that there was no point in a relationship. As they felt they forced our interactions and didn't want to feel like they have to put in so much effort us.

This event in our friendship was never properly addressed and instead quietly faded into the background. L continued to be very odd, and particularly extra affectionate, when I was with my partner. Then L would turn around and be randomly snappy with me. Once I brought them something, forgot to give it to them, called them so I could walk back over to hand it over and they gave me attitude. As if I was bothering them. I said nevermind, hung up and just went home. There were other issues too. They even refused to let me talk about my partner with them because they were bitter. This was also a reoccurring thing, even when I dated other folks they didn't want to hear about it. Maybe they liked me for a while and when I was single saw an opportunity that was then taken away when I didn't reciprocate feelings.

Despite this I still maintained communication with L and spent time with them. We even planned to be roommates with another friend and my partner. It didn't seem like a bad idea at the time, things between us had calmed down. This fell through when our friend could no longer move out due to finances. I then couldn't move out because the expenses would be too much without a fourth person. While L was amiable with our friend. L sent me a very condescending message telling me that if I intended not to move out that I should have told them earlier. I felt as if I was being entirely blamed for them not being able to move out. But knew my budget and knew I wouldn't be capable of supporting myself with only three of us. I didn't even respond to them. That's when I knew I never wanted to live with them.

L eventually moved out and got a new job. I got a new job and I'm aiming to move out next year. We haven't seen each other much since and honestly... I've felt better. I started reflecting on what happened and realizing that our relationship just wasn't healthy for a while. I use to smoke a lot, especially with them, of course I'm responsible for my habits but that's all we did. Smoke then sit around. When I went over and no longer smoked I felt ignored and weird. L didn't spend any time with me, they worked on whatever. If I suggested going out they weren't interested. I haven't smoked for 5 months and overall I've been a lot more positive, happy and calm.

I still don't have closure for all of the times L was weird with me and I don't think I ever will. I don't think I can ever approach them about what happened. I'm going to get over it eventually and forget about it, but it's just sad. I guess. I really appreciated them and adored them despite everything. I guess I have a bad habit of sticking around people who are toxic for me.

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/19 15:01:20 )
It's always good to get rid of toxic people. I have a tendency to want to be everyone's mother/best friend, so when I see a loser that I know could be a winner with just a little help, I make it my duty to lift them up. Sadly, not all of these people want help, they just want another long grift. I had a friendship (I say friendship, but it was more like we were supporting and raising this full grown adult) of 4 years end because when we confronted said friend/roommate about doing something really morally questionable in our house, he decided to attack three people, one of whom was a small woman. I now have a restraining order against him, and it sucks, because we could have worked past the problem, but I'm not about to work with someone who resorts to violence.
A year later, I let another friend crash on my couch forEVER and he up and does THE EXACT same morally questionable thing in our house, even though we discussed it at length with him. He, at least had the decency to disappear into the night instead of assaulting three people.
The moral I take away from that isn't to not try to help people out, but to not have roommates :vanora_sweat:
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Voltie — She/It Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/21 00:27:24 )
I've had to deal with a lot of friend break ups in recent years. The most notable one I can think of is... I had a friend on an RP site who had a bad habit I wasn't aware of for many many months of friendship and writing together. But then, they got in trouble with the site's admin and decided that me, a random person uninvolved with staff etc, would somehow fix it. They persisted in telling me their punishment was proof they deserved to die and they started making suicide threats and ignoring me when I said they needed to get help. Then they basically said it'd be my fault since I couldn't get them no-longer-punished when I wasn't staff and I wasn't involved. The more they said they wanted to die and pushed it as because of being banned and me being not able to lift it, the more my mental health began to go down the garbage. I have personal issues that made it even worse for me- including a past in suicidal thoughts and mental hospitals. Finally, I went to staff to get help and had to block said friend. They tried getting their offline friend to get me to give them another chance, and I explained i needed time (also, they told me I could block them if they were hurting me as badly as I told them they were). They started getting snippy with me through the friend, and later on, through mutual friends that were already part of the site who weren't aware of the situation and ended up needing to be told why I was ignoring that person.

Let's just say that wasn't even the most toxic friendship I've ever had. But it was a horrible end- it had been fun and fine up until then. Seriously... I still don't fully get what happened. ;-;

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 14:48:05 )
@Glume: Woah, I'm so sorry to hear about that! It sounds like you've been through a lot. I also sometimes take on that role with people. I do it less now, if at all. I'm just safer that way. I've had a lot of people take advantage of my kindness and support.

@Juneberry: That honestly sounds exhausting. Them trying to put all of that responsbility on you is really unfair and not okay. You can't do anything, what are you supposed to do? Then getting upset with you when you can't do anything and being snippy and rude... I'm so sorry that you had to deal with that.
call me grem
they/them

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.