Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat My superhero (villain?) name is "The Retirer"

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/23 03:00:07 )
I have been teaching for 4 years.
Through those 4 years, I've had 3 different partners retire.
I am younger, so my admin does usually put me with older people to balance things out I guess.
I am very energetic and teach in a newer style while my partners are usually more traditional, sit down and shut up types. So, it really is a pretty decent balance.
BUT it really wears you down when you get a new partner every year and they just retire.

Need to get rid of someone? Make them my partner!

Donator — Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/23 04:26:39 )
I was just thinking that you were the best superhero ever. But. That... kinda sucks. :(
Gotta find somebody, young, traditional and stiff. lol

What kind of teaching do you do that needs a partner??

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/23 04:38:14 )
@eruca: XDD I teach elementary Math and Science and my partner(s) teach Reading, Writing, and Social Studies. We share 2 sets of classes. I have one group in the morning while she has the other and then we swap.

Donator — Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/23 04:45:52 )
@Mousy: Oooh, I see! Make math and science cool for them! Still a superhero!
Is it just hard to find new elementary school teachers? I heard that new teacher numbers are dropping.

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/23 05:06:31 )
@eruca: I try my best! My students and I have a lot of fun! I make as many things interactive as I can.
There are more people retiring than going into the teaching field, but I don't think our area has struggled to find teachers. Other places have definitely, but I work for a large district that has very competitive pay. I moved 4 hours away for this job and I'm making 15k more than I was previously doing the same work. Schools with less competitive pay do struggle with hiring though.

Donator — Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/23 05:13:19 )
@Mousy: You're like the elementary school teacher I wish I had. lol. My math/science teacher didn't care much about them because he preferred teaching reading and writing... Because I guess one teacher had to teach us everything. That's probably pretty tough.
Wow, sounds like a sweet deal. I mean, you deserve the extra pay for having to deal with so many partner changes, imo.
Ping me

Donator — nyan? Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/23 05:13:44 )
neko says;
Maybe they give them to you on purpose!

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/23 11:40:21 )

@Mousy: those different partners, were they DADA teachers?

Donator — she, her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/23 17:13:04 )
I know how frustrating and hard it is to balance work when you have a high turn over.

On another note, I’m happy to hear that you enjoy your job and it sounds like your kids really enjoy learning from you!
Foever in my heart
Spookums 11/25/18
Angus 6/23/19
Mom 6/29/19
Dad 11/29/2021

Donator — Trash Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/24 02:53:45 )
@Mousy: 3 parapros in 4 years? That is honestly impressive. Soon you'll have retirement age teachers lining up round the block to be your partner just because they heard the rumor.

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/25 02:23:03 )
@neko: I'm sure they did that with at least 2, but the one this year was a new hire. They didn't know what to expect with her. XD

@tuijp: ELA,but... that's pretty much the same thing right? They both read books? "Turn to page 394"

@lithium: I wouldn't mind it so much, but it means that I have to change systems every year.
Petty Example time:
This year, my partner demands all papers to be given to her to pass out in alphabetical order whereas the teacher last year didn't care and the teacher before didn't want any papers at all.
Also, I have to learn new discipline and new quirks every year. It's just annoying. I'm really easy going and I'll do whatever they want, but consistency would be nice.

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/25 02:24:26 )
@sasha: I hit send before I was done with that message.
These are full fledged qualified teachers that retire, not paras.

Donator — nyan? Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/25 02:35:21 )
neko says;
@Mousy: A new hire may break your devastating cycle!

sell me rigs please♥

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/25 02:40:23 )
@neko: Fingers crossed!! I won't know if I get someone within the school or a new hire until mid May. So you're going to need to cross them for a while....... BUT I believe in you!
Please ping! I get distracted easily.

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/25 11:50:14 )

@Mousy: just don't kill them

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.