Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat I've been pronouncing ramen wrong

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/13 20:33:00 )
LOL that's an interesting reason to switch pronunciations for things. XD
I never knew if ramen was pronounced ra-men or la-myun. I'm still iffy about it now lol. I never bothered to look it up since it's not something i eat regularly in my life.
Waiting for more pretty long hairs~ ' u '

Questing :: Alice

Donator — - Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/17 05:00:10 )
@Pessimisticat: You're welcome. : ) My name is Anglicized as well. Gaelicized, it resembles Sean. Seamus. Irish spelling vs Irish pronunciation is extremely weird though. I find it hella more difficult to grasp than English.

Voltie — they/them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/17 18:54:10 )
My name is Sean. You'd think it's a common enough name that everyone knows how to say it, but no. One of my friends was convinced it was "seen" for months. ._.

To be fair though, Irish names are weird... Siobhan is "sha-von," Aisling is "ash-lin," and Saiorse is "seer-sha" somehow?

Donator — - Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/17 22:26:20 )
@Theory: Irish pronunciation is wacky. June is written as "meitheamh" but said as "me-hev".

Voltie — they/them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/17 22:41:12 )
@Shamrock shamus: Oh sure, "mh" makes a "v" sound, that makes perfect sense. :|

Donator — - Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/17 22:46:12 )
@Theory: Lol I know right? I am a linguistics nut and I usually can pick up languages easily but I can't seem to do my country's own native language. They require it in school and I moved right after my junior infants year, which is the equivalent of preschool in America. So, I skipped out on being required to study it. Which is good because this damn language makes no sense.

I also find Icelandic hard to do. My late wife was Icelandic but it's as chaotic as English.

Voltie — they/them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/17 23:03:07 )
@Shamrock shamus: Oh no, Icelandic seems pretty messy too. I enjoy linguistics too, but nearly all European languages are incomprehensible to me. I think it's because they use similar character sets to English so I think I know how they should sound but I'm always wrong. x_x

I've been studying Korean, which uses a phonetic alphabet, and once you understand how it works, it's like damn why doesn't every language just do this? lol
Sean, 25, they/them

Donator — - Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/18 22:27:57 )
@Theory: Ah, I have studied Korean a bit. I know the writing and stacking rules. I know the sounds of Japanese as well. It's very easy, pronunciation wise. I am a Mandarin teacher and...it's fairly difficult. It's very tonal. Má, mà, mǎ, mā and ma are all pronounced in different tones. So you really have to pay attention to how you say things. I usually give a set of vocabulary words each week. On Fridays, they have a quiz on how to write the characters but I also give them a pronunciation test. I drag my chair out to the hall and call them out one by one and have them shut the door behind them. I give them the word in English and have them say it back to me in Mandarin. I wouldn't really be doing my job if I focused all on writing and not speech.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.