Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk So, I don't really know how to grocery shop

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2017/11/14 05:52:18 )
It's extra embarrassing because I used to be a chef. I can cook basically anything with a basic how-to guide or even figure it out as I go, but when it comes to actually shopping for myself, planning dinner and meals ... I got nothing. When everything is a possibility, I kinda freeze up and can't think of anything. I NEED GUIDELINES!

... I also am used to cooking in a kitchen with tons of spices and essentials, so having none of those makes it one step harder. Currently I have access to a kitchen, but I'm just renting a room in the house so I hate to impose and use more of their stuff than I need to...

Basically, uh. WHAT DO I BUY.

I've got a grocery list for this week:

potatoes
rice
pasta noodles + jar o' sauce
tuna (for casseroles)
cheese - slices and shredded
sliced lunch meat
tortillas
lettuce, onion

My main issue is that this is for me, just me. I can't get through most perishable things without them going back so I tend to fall back on easy microwavable things instead.

ANYWAYS YEAH UH any advice is cool and stuff. I appreciate help or ideas for easy recipes and stuff, too!
pls ping me, ty!!

TURN OFF THE SUN // PULL THE STARS FROM THE SKY

quest | etc

Voltie — Burnt Posted 6 years ago ( 2017/11/14 08:30:01 )
I like to buy things overtime to help stock up on things that are used to prepare food, so like hamburger helper or something. uhmm (campbells?) soup, like the cream of chicken or cream of mushroom can be used to make meals, but I also get the chicken noodle soup in case like my fiance or i were to get sick. that way we won't have to run to a store or something. uhhh really spices help a lot, chicken stock or beef stock, worcestshire (sp?) sauce, bread crumbs like panko or something, frozen veggies too. rice, pastas. some frozen meat again in case of emergency if you can't leave the house in event of storms or something. oh and eggs.
but we usually meal plan and buy the meat we need for the next couple of days. depending on how you feel about freezing meat, like we freeze chicken. so we'll get the bigger package because obviously we won't eat all 6 chicken breasts in one sitting, maybe 2 or 3 and then freeze the other two.

some simple recipes though can be stir fries, soups, chicken in general. As you can make it stuffed, or do a shredded chicken or fry it or bake it. then just make a veggie on the side and a starch.
I like to make a chicken ceasar pasta salad at least once a month. it is really simple.
You can either buy like a rotissiere chicken or buy uncooked chicken and bake it and shred it or cut it up or cut it up and cook it on a frying pan or slow cook it and shred it and cook some pasta (i use penne). and then mix the pasta with ceasar dressing (I use marie's) and then add the chicken and mix it in. then on your serving dish, put romaine lettuce and top with the chicken ceasar pasta and just mix it and add crutons. and then there you go

but really just look at a bunch of recipes and find what a lot have in common and just stock up on those.

Donator — She/her Posted 6 years ago ( 2017/11/14 22:47:53 )

Think about what you would like for meals that week and then only buy those things.
That's how I do it, and how I pick what I want is that I go by the sale price and what I think I would want.
Or just shop at Trader Joe's XD

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2017/11/14 23:10:16 )
Hmm I like the versatility of minced meat. Whichever kind you prefer. It can go into sauces for pasta. Mix it with veggies and you have some tasty stir fry. Mix it with potatoes and you can have a nice stewy thing or shepherds pie. Mix it with rice and you get some nice fried rice. You can use it for your tortillas too! It also molds into whatever shape you want so you can easily find space in a freezer. Hope I helped!

Always ping me please.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.