Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Ugh I need a new laptop~~~

Donator — Bunnies! Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/31 13:40:33 )
So I've been pretty much living off my phone for over 3 years now. I do have a mini ASUS laptop/tablet which has a keyboard attachment but it's just not the same as a full laptop or desktop. For one thing, it has 32GB of storage that already comes 1/2 full without anything installed. Which means I can't install anything except the most basic apps and it's mostly used for simple Word or Excel or online. It's also dying so I need a new laptop anyways.

If I need to do anything else like photoshop, I drive 30min to my parents house. I've just come from there and OMG it's soooo nice to have a normal screen again that's not a cellphone.

I'm so out of this technology thing, any recommendations for what I should be looking for in a new laptop? The most taxing thing would probably be photoshop or Painter or like... YouTube. I'm not a gamer, I don't particularly need speed. I'd probably like a budget about $1k but it's flexible.

I had done a bit of research about half a year ago but now I'm assuming that's all old information, and anyways I've forgotten it. Any help would be appreciated

Donator — She/Her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/31 14:35:08 )
Well most like dell I do anyhow, some like hp not I, but acer is a good brand. But if you want your computer to be built a certain way for that much. I say try looking into company's that build computer, and let them know how you would like it set up. And compare. I am a bit tired. So I am sorry ahead of time

Donator — She/her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/31 21:03:53 )

@eliechan: It's hard to shop around because there are a lot of Laptops and brands, I say just continue to search online. I've had Acer ones, but their customer service is horrible if it breaks in anyway. If you wanted to buy an Apple Laptop you can use Martin's discount no prob (Not trying to get you to buy one, I just wanted to offer it to you).

Voltie Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/31 21:57:51 )
Check sites like newegg, too. You could probably find a refurbished model or something like that for a song.

Donator — Bunnies! Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/11/1 00:19:33 )
@onsenmark: I'm not exactly sure how I feel about refurbished but thanks, I'll check it out anyways!

@SirLionelNigelConrad: Ah that's really helpful! I haven't decided yet between i7 vs i5 but those specs are good to know. Solid state, got it. And yessss thanks, I'd be open to any recommendations!

@Totalanimefan: unfortunately Apple drives me crazy (sorry Martin!! OMG!) My previous 2 mini-laptops were Acer, they worked fine for the price.

@Unicorn: Custom build, that's a good idea too but might be a bit overwhelming at the moment. Will look into in tho! Thankies too Unicorn!

Donator — She/her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/11/1 00:29:14 )

@eliechan: No it's ok. XD We aren't offended.
Acer's worked fine for me, but when my laptop fell of off my hotel bed and didn't wake up when it smashed on the floor....I called them and they were horrible on the phone about it. Ugh.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — She/Her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/11/1 00:45:17 )
@eliechan: your welcome and good luck.

Donator — She/Buns Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/11/1 08:04:56 )

I use Asus laptops.
I've never really had a problem besides my motherboard on one dying ; u;
but i had one for 5 years and its still great.
and this one is an asus.
it's a rog though, its fucking HUGE and fits in no bag lol it's for gaming.
i'm shopping for a smaller laptop to take with me when i go places.

asus is a good brand and so is lenovo.
bf and i swear by those brands.

ping me
Art in sig by Seo
Art in post by Cedes
Hangout

Voltie Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/11/1 09:26:01 )
@eliechan: I got my current desktop as a refurb from newegg about three years or so back, and it's been pretty good.

Only downside is if I want to play anything demanding, I'd have to upgrade the video card and power supply. So no FF XIV for me, lol. :vanora_sweat:
See what conventions I'll be at next

Final Fantasy XV: Worst. Bachelor Party. EVER.

Donator — Bunnies! Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/11/1 11:54:56 )
@SirLionelNigelConrad: Oh wow that actually pretty reasonable even if add on a 500gb ssd. Thanks for the link, I'll take a better look in a bit

@pixiebuns: Thanks! I've heard that too, I do like my ASUS tablet but my cousin did recommend Lenovo too.

@onsenmark: oh OK good to know! LOL well luckily for me I'm not a gamer so I'd live xD

@unicorn: thanks I'll need it!

Donator — She/Her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/11/1 12:00:09 )
@eliechan: glad to help if you need anything else just ask
If you can’t say something nice, Don’t say anything at all!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.