Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Anyone good at Science?

Voltie — She/Her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/24 01:46:28 )
This is Candy Corn.

Hey I am struggling with trying to type up a Science essay and was hoping you could help. It needs to be a page long.
Here is what I have so far:
Hello, I’m Carbon, and I was discovered by Lavoisier in 3750 BC. Yes, I am super old on the outside, but still young on the inside. I am the most versatile element, and my name comes from the Latin word “carbo” meaning coal. I have 3 naturally occurring isotopes. I know you want to get to know me better, so let’s talk a little bit more about me. After all, I do admire myself.

I can be found just about anywhere in living cells. There are some rude people out there that think I am boring, but I can do so many things. I absolutely appreciate the people that do love me for what I can do though. My natural sources are decomposition as well as ocean release and respiration. This is not all there is to know about me, continue to read more about me!

My density is 2.2670, and my electronegativity is 2.55.

What else I need to include (can include whatever else as well):
Provide the following physical properties:
atomic and ionic radii
electronegativity (You will find that there are several scales listed. Describe the system and list the values.)
first five ionization energies
What is the distribution of this element in the human body?
Is the element toxic? at what levels?
Does the element play an important role in biological systems? the petroleum or polymer industry? pharmaceuticals? the food and cosmetics industry? the pain-killer industry? the electronics industry? etc.?
Identify at least 3 compounds containing this element which are commercially available. Most chemical manufacturing companies have on-line catalogs these days.
Why did you choose this element?

Voltie — She/Her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/24 01:48:18 )
This is Candy Corn.

Oh forgot to include this:
Write a 1 page essay of an element of your choice, and write this as if you are the element and you are telling about yourself.

Donator — ILOVEPUGS Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/24 01:51:25 )
I am not super smart but I will lurk this thread to educate myself XD

as for the last question why did you choose carbon?

Voltie — She/Her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/24 01:52:41 )
This is Candy Corn.

@Luffer Nutter: I chose carbon because I took a quiz my teacher gave me and it said I was most like Carbon lol
So how am I supposed to answer that??

Donator — ILOVEPUGS Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/24 02:03:01 )
@rainbowpanda: lolwat? I thought you teacher tought real science that's like a quiz from a magazine (which I want to take) XDD

hmmm I mean what's wrong with answering it honestly and just saying that? ;;>.>

Donator — ILOVEPUGS Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/24 02:04:12 )
@rainbowpanda: lolwat? I thought you teacher tought real science that's like a quiz from a magazine (which I want to take) XDD

hmmm I mean what's wrong with answering it honestly and just saying that? ;;>.>

Voltie — She/Her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/24 02:08:08 )
This is Candy Corn.

@Luffer Nutter: Hmm I don't know....He could make my grade go down...

Donator — ILOVEPUGS Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/24 02:11:00 )
@rainbowpanda: lowers you grade for honesty? X_x Why'd he even make you take that quiz then? XD

eeee ee eeee smoke weed everyday
(legitimately googled if this was pg-13 appropriate because I try to be a respectful stoner. So like you're welcome teenagers)
Working on a new signature.
PS-I LOVE PUGS

Voltie — She/Her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/24 02:12:01 )
This is Candy Corn.

@Luffer Nutter: He said we could if we wanted to if we didn't know what to write about. So I took the quiz and got Carbon. I really want to get this done today. ( I am currently working on some math work as well)

Donator — bun Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/26 09:21:24 )
@RainbowPanda: Ohh look, you have a thread for it. :vanora_xd:

Atomic and Ionic radii
Atomic radius – 70pm (empirical), 67 pm (calculated)
Ionic radius – C4 29pm

Electronegativity
Electronegativity refers to the power of an atom within a molecule to attract electron density to itself.
- Many factors, including other atoms within the molecule, number of atoms corradiated to it, and the oxidation number for the atom.
Electronegativity has no units, however, is often measured by “Pauling Units”, as indicated by units mapped via the Pauling Scale (a range of about 0.7 (Hydrogen) to 3.98 (Fluorine)). Carbon has an electronegativity of 2.55 on this scale, putting it at roughly the center.

The first scale, and most widely used, is the Pauling Electronegativity Scale (χr), invented by Linus Pauling in 1932. (The concept of electronegativity existing between elements dates back to the early 1800s, however) Pauling proposed that the concept of electronegativity is based around the fact that covalent bonds between two different atoms (represented by (A-B), is stronger than expected, by taking the strengths of the A-A and B-B bonds.

Mulliken Electronegativity was proposed by Robert S. Mulliken, theorizing that the arithmetic mean of the first ionizing energy (represented by Ei) and the electron affinity (represented by Eea) should measure the tendency of an atom to attract electrons. This has also been termed “absolute electronegativity”, using kilojoules per mole or electronvolts as measurements. 2.48 (sp^3 orbital) Pauling Units.

Allred-Rochow electronegativity, proposed by A. Louis Allred and Eugene G. Roschow, was based around the idea that electronegativity should be related to the charge ecperiecnced by an electron on the “Surface” of the atom – the higher the charge per unit area of the atomic surface, the greater the tendancy of that atom to attract electrons. 2.50 Pauling units.

Sanderson Electronegativity proposes that there is a relationship between Mulliken electronegativity and the atomic size, creating a calculation based on the reciprocal of the atomic volume. This allows estimation of bond energies in a wide range of compounds, as well as being used to calculate molecular geometry, s-electrons energy, NMR spin-spin constants and other parameters for organic compounds. This theory is also part of the concept of electronegativity equalization, suggesting that electrons tend to distribute themselves around a molecule to minimize or equalize Mulliken’s electronegativity. 2.75 Pauling Units.

Allen Electronegativity, proposed by Leland C. Allen, suggested that an element’s electronegativity is related to the average energy of the valence electrons(the outer shell electron associated with an atom) in a free atom. 2.54 Pauling Units.

Ionizing Energies

Molar ionizing energies:
(kJ/mol (KiloJoules/Mole))

Human Body
Six elements (Oxygen, Carbon, Hydrogen, Nitrogen and Phosphorous (O, C, H, N, P)) make up approximately 99% of Human body mass. Carbon makes up 18.5% of this mass, making it the second most abundant element in human body (O being the most abundant at about 65%) *The remainder of the body (0.85%) is composed of another five elements: potassium, sulfur, sodium, chlorine, and magnesium! (K, S, Na, Cl, Mg)*

Toxicity
Elemental carbon is of low toxicity, health hazards being indicated by Carbon compounds, such as carbon Monoxide (CO) and Cyanide (CN). There is also Carbon-14, a radioactive isotope, with a half-life of approx. 5,730 years and is primarily used in Radiocarbon dating methods. Carbon can form a vast amount of compounds, outnumbering any other element, with an estimated almost ten million to date!

Biology
Biological system, yes, Carbon makes up 18.5% of human body and is responsible for regulating the temperature in biological systems (Global Warming? That’s Carbon! CO2 levels causing temperature increases). Carbon transports Oxygen through these systems as well. Carbon is found in ALL organic molecules, often being said that all life on the planet is based in Carbon (hence the term “Carbon-based lifeform").

Petroleum Industries
Petroleum industries, yes. Petroleum is made up of several Hydrocarbon (Hydrogen and Carbon organic compounds) of varying weights.

The rest of that list LOL
Pharmaceuticals--absolutely. Charcoal face masks? Carbon, baby! (Activated) carbon is most often used as a means of purification and absorption (oils in the skin/hair) and moisture control. Also a big factor in hair care and dental products (again with the charcoal – people LOVE the charcoal toothpaste because of its ability to supposedly “attract” the stains from teeth and leave them sparkling white). Carbon is used in painkillers, such as Asprin (CO2H). Electronics, yes! Also used in structural bodies, such as carbon fiber. Also, diamonds! Plastics! What can’t carbon do, honestly?

Availability
Availability kinda included above, buuuut…Charcoal masks, charcoal for grilling, carbon fibers, petroleum, plastics, diamond jewelry, etc. etc.

Voltie — She/Her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/26 09:35:53 )
This is Candy Corn. and this is Gala

@chai: Should I just re-write my essay and include bits of what you said cuz omg u r so smart xD
I feel stupid.

Donator — bun Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/26 09:56:33 )
@RainbowPanda: Haha, I had to research the different electronegativity stuff...had no clue about any of it honestly LOL.

but hopefully this helps you!

Voltie — She/Her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/26 10:13:42 )

@chai: Thank you, it does. Still gonna take me a long time to write my essay though. How do I make all of this sound like carbon is taking xD
And do I keep what I have so far??

Donator — bun Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/26 10:30:11 )
@RainbowPanda: Yeah, keep what you have. :>

As far as making it sound like carbon is talking, like, in the electronegativity part, probably be like "Scientists use various methods to determine elctronegativity between me and my fellow elements. Talk about the science part of the scales, maybe throw in some "isn't that interesting? it's even better because it's about ME!" and end with the "I measure in at [measurement] in this method."
So like, for the Allen theory, it'd be like "This is the Allen theory summarized. Obviously the most important part about this, though, is that I measure in at 2.54 Pauling Units!"

Your idea of making Carbon sound kinda full of itself is wonderful, since it plays such a huge role on Earth and everything! :D

Hopefully that helps with that question, haha!

Voltie — She/Her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/26 10:59:04 )

@chai: It really does, tysm for your help!!
Might ask again lol
Wish I could do the assignment rn but can't because it's on my laptop and I should be sleeping

Donator — bun Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/26 11:32:05 )
@RainbowPanda: No problem, haha. Glad to help out!
Ohh yes, go to sleep!

Voltie — She/Her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/26 11:35:52 )

@chai: I will after my watch later list is empty

Voltie — She/Her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/26 20:22:29 )

@chai: Hey! For electronegativity did you put that into your own words or are they the exact words from a site?

Donator — bun Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/26 20:24:32 )
@RainbowPanda: They’re my own words :o

avi site survey

Voltie — She/Her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/26 20:26:54 )

@chai: Wow how in the world OUO

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.