Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Role Playing The Town of Everlasting Rain - Casual RP - IC

Voltie — She/They Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/31 03:16:58 )

Welcome Back

The Town of Everlasting Rain has been here for around five generations now. Only one of the 15 founding families are still actively part of the politics in town, most stepping aside due to other ventures in business. It's got the scent of nature in the air, even in the more cobbled street downtown areas. It's home to roughly 7,500 people with a small tourist section near the nature park. Everyone knows everyone, so if you're new in town, be prepared to go through question after question from the more extroverted community members.

Here, we all take our time, and sometimes that means pushing a chore off of today's to-do list, into tomorrow's. Chatting, and being connected to others and nature is more important. Stop for a moment, listen to the common gentle drizzle, and smell the fresh bakery up the road before indulging in a bit of small-town escapism.

Her daily routine was to wake up, spend a three hours getting dressed, doting on their cats and dog, and puttering around the house. After that, to the post office to drop off whatever packages were going out that day, then to get a wonderful cup of coffee while chatting away to anyone and everyone who's there. She enjoyed getting to know folks, learning about others' lives, and of course offering her services as a broker. She had retired from her normal, salaried sales job decades ago, but she kept up with this. Selling others' beloved items online, and handling the to and fro of communications - posted and online - for others.

The warm and inviting scent hit her as she turned onto the street, and through the big, brown doors she entered the coffee shop. "Hello, hello!" Her merry voice rang, and she got to the counter already knowing what she wanted, but pausing to stare at the menu. A broad smile on her face as she looked at the barista, "Well, I don't know. I usually get the same thing, but, well, I'd like you to recommend me something! Is there a drink I should try instead today?"

Voltie — They/He Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/31 16:05:07 )

@Fellowsheep:

Chase looked up and towards the door when he heard the bell chime. Setting down the dishes he'd been cleaning, he grabbed a towel and nodded politely at the girl who came in.

"Ah, recommendations?" Chase said softly, visibly thinking about what they had on their menu. "Well, if you like something sweet, we just got more caramel syrup in and I could make a latte with it. If you're on the spicier side, we also got the ingredients for Mexican Hot Cocoa!" he explained, setting the towel aside once he finished drying his hands. "I personally go with a mocha, but I'm not terribly adventurous with my tastes. I occasionally add peppermint if I'm feeling festive." He giggled and leaned on the counter.

"So, with all that in mind, what can I get'cha on this fine day?"

Don\'t know how to use/read tone tags?
Go Here!

Voltie — She/They Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/02/1 16:56:12 )
@MaxIsConfused:
Della grinned back at the seemingly excitable barista in front, "All of those sound lovely! Then, could I get a Mexican Hot Cocoa with Peppermint?" She leaned in a bit like she had the biggest secret to share, eyebrows raised as she whispered, "I think I am feeling quite festive today." She winked and leaned back and checked behind her. Still quiet, and no one else coming in yet, "I don't think we've met yet, I'm Della. And what is your name?" She glanced for a nametag.

Voltie — They/He Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/02/1 18:24:12 )

@Fellowsheep:
Chase nodded at the order and chuckled. "Sure thing, one Mexican Hot Cocoa with Peppermint!"

He got to work making the drink, still conversing with Della. Seeing the glance, he realized he forgot to put on his nametag. "I'm Chase, new in town so not many folks know me just yet." he explained as he checked his pockets for the nametag. He pulled it out with a sigh of relief, put it on with a mumble "I always forget the nametag...", and continued to make the drink. "I came here to study the area. I heard the area has a rich history, and if there's one thing I love, it's history."

A few shakes and blends, and a pump of peppermint syrup later, he poured the drink into a cup and popped the lid on. Passing it to Della, he quickly asked; "How long have you been here?"

Go Here!

Voltie — She/They Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/02/7 16:22:00 )
@MaxIsConfused: Taking the drink from Chase she sniffed it, the scent of chocolate, cinnamon, and peppermint wafted up from the cup. "We certainly have history! I've lived here all my life," she replied with a warm smile, "I am a broker, so I help my friends sell their items online. Being so old, it can be tricky to deal with this new technology. They've got a lot of antiques, which of course a good chunk still feels like it was new as of yesterday. Let me know if there's anything you're looking for! Here," she dug through her handbag pulling out a business card. "You can always reach me via that phone number. Did you know that our town founder back in 1812 was able to see through the walls of the ice cave? Or so the stories go, he was able to. What he saw in the ice was this monstrous creature: Truly a thing of nightmares with bulbous eyes, more than two, and hands so large they could easily wrap around a large, thick, ancient tree's stump. Of course, now that cave is melted... and no such creature was found. What do you think happened to it? Did it get snatched up by some carnie? Or perhaps it's," leaning forward for effect she whispers, "Alive?"

Voltie — They/He Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/02/7 20:49:08 )

@Fellowsheep:

Chase took the buisness card, gave it a quick read, and pocketed it. He listened with interest to the tale Della told. He hadn't heard any specifics about the history of the town, let alone it's folklore.

"A monster... certainly doesn't sound like a normal animal by that description. Could be an eldrich, but the stars know they're ungodly difficult to find and live to tell the tale..." Chase talked to himself, deep in thought for a moment as he tried to think of any creatures matching the description. "Where's this cave? I think I'll take a look when I'm free from the 9 to 5."

"Also, does the beast have a name?"

Go Here!

Voltie — She/They Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/02/9 04:26:56 )
@MaxIsConfused: With a wicked grin, Della nodded her head to his theory about it being an eldrich. "Yes, well, I actually have a very good friend who runs the tour of the cave! Their name is Blair, and you can find them at the cabin just ahead of the cave. Head out east, towards the forest and mountains. You'll see signs for Elrand's Illustrious Cave. They know so, so much about the founder Elrandriss and the cave's lore. Afterall, we did start out as a ice and iron export town in the beginnings! So much ice cream, as well, since only 15 miles out of town are some great pastures." Della pondered on Chase's question for a name. Should she just choose one? It had several names by this point, and deciding it was safer to share them all. "Loaded question you've got there Chase, but, well, I do recall several names for this beast. The beast, Big Hand, um, Solvich or Sa'arak? Frozen Hind, and the silliest of the names, in my humble opinion, Elrand's Illussion. It's considered the greatest scam of all time by some local theorists." Grey eyebrows bounced up and down with a playful grin as she relayed the last tidbit. "Welcome to town, Chase."

Voltie — They/He Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/02/9 05:37:45 )

@Fellowsheep: Chase whipped out his notepad and jotted down the name of the cave and the tour guide, before shoving it back in his pocket.

"Thank you for the information, Della. I'll be sure to put it to use." he said with genuine tone, a soft smile on his face. "Make sure to finish your drink before it gets cold. It's not nearly as good cold." He let out a soft giggle before turning back to the dishes he needed to wash. "Have an amazing day, ma'am!"

Chase had to admit, Della was one hell of a personality. She gave off similar vibes to a tutorial NPC in a mystery game, but with a hint of her own mystery. She sounded like she knew more than she'd told him, but he wasn't going to push for anything more. She'd already done him a favor of letting him know where to start on his adventure, and Chase was not going to take that for granted.

He had a new quest ahead of him. Find out what this beast is and if it is real.

Go Here!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.