Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk I need to write this out before I explode...

Donator — Trash Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/10 05:34:31 )
I'm Sasha. I make art, stories, and bad decisions.

I graduated with a 2.7 GPA in a field of study that I don't like. I work a pretty cushy corporate job for a business that gives me no sense of pride or satisfaction and doesn't require the degree that I'm in debt for (or a degree period, for that matter). I feel like my life is just ticking away and that I'm selling my soul by the hour for a meager paycheck.

I want to change that.

I love writing. I love drawing. I have since the 4th grade. I need to create or else I might just scream.

But I'm scared.

I'm scared that I won't be able to finish anything. I'm scared that I won't have enough money to live. I'm scared that if I try to live my dream of being a writer and an artist and find out it's not all it's cracked up to be, that I will have lost my dream- and part of myself along the way.

I'm scared that I won't go through with it at all. That I'll keep working my dead end job that I hate and die before I can ever pay off my worthless degree that I didn't want.

I'm stuck in a spiral of self-hatred and pipe dreams and fear, watching days of my life fall away.

...And I really need a fucking therapist.

Donator — They/Them Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/10 10:35:56 )
I think you and I have a lot in common. I graduated with an art degree and as a result I have a pretty lackluster office job - but climbing the ranks! - and it's definitely not fulfilling.

The one piece of advice everybody gives me, though? Just DO IT.

MAKE STUFF.

Let's make stuff, both of us?

Voltie — she/her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/10 10:45:01 )
*hugs* I know it's hard. I'm trying to follow my dream of being an artist right now while dealing with fear and doubt. It's amazing, it's so great, but it's also awful. I hope you're able to do what you love, and most of all, to be happy and carefree.
dear Lord I need a new signature someone help me

Donator — Cat Mama Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/10 20:59:24 )
Hey. Just posting on this thread to let you know that you're not alone. Our situations are a bit different, of course, but I can still relate.

I too want to be a writer someday, but I know I can't just dive right into it, like I need some sort of income before I can do anything. And well...I have terrible anxiety and I suffer from depression too, which makes even just going to a job interview difficult for me.

For drawing, maybe you could always try starting out by selling a few commissions to at least get some extra money, and maybe someday you can switch over to that.

Donator — She/her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/10 21:38:06 )
What Sir said.
You can work yourself up to a better job. In the meantime just start writing anything and everything. Doesn't matter that it's the greatest or not, but it should be typed, or written out. Over time you can look back and see ideas that you had, or writing styles that you had. It will help you grow slowly as an artist while bringing some happiness at the same time.

Donator — Trash Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/11 05:16:08 )
@Addy: You're right. Just make stuff. Even if it's small, just start.

@superbearwars: Thank you. I knew I wasn't alone in feeling like this, but it's really helpful to hear that others are experiencing it, too. I hope you're able to fulfill your dreams, too.

@Lithinel: You sound exactly like me- anxiety, depression, difficulty with interviews... I hope you do finally land a job so you can get some money in your pocket.

@SirLionelNigelConrad: @Totalanimefan: My job isn't terrible and there's room to climb, it's just not what I want to do with my life. It, nor any other position in the industry, is what fulfills me. It pays more than minimum wage and offers health benefits, so I'm not going to jump ship straight away. I just want to ease into creating more in my free time. Weekends. Holidays. A few commissions at a time. Writing that no one will see until I'm ready for someone to see it.

Maybe one day I'll have enough business where I won't need that full time job that I hate. I could find something more bearable part time and take commissions part time.

My dream is to live off my creations. I know that isn't going to be immediate- or hell, even in a year or two. It could easily be 10 years down the line. I just want to start on it.

Thank you guys so much for your support :vanora_cry: This community is so sweet and so encouraging. And I feel so much better. I've been in such a dark place for such a long time, and I'd kept everything inside for so long... I'm glad you listened.

Donator — They/Them Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/11 05:18:48 )
@sasha: Anxiety and depression are a hell of a combination and they make it a lot tougher. But just.. rebuilding that habit. I'm in the same position and just sorta "quit" art every now and then.

We're here for you! I wanna see everybody succeed in art. The world's definitely big enough for all sorts of artists to flourish.

Donator — She/her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/11 12:01:56 )
@Sasha: Of course we listen and are supportive. That's what this forum should be all about
By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — A.I. Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/12 03:14:20 )
If you're really serious about pursuing art as a means of sustenance, then it's honestly good to have a job as a safety net in the beginning. There are sites out there like Freelancer that are more catered to artists, but I can't quite remember what they're called. Browse projects, see what other people are selling / bidding, and ask yourself, 'do I know what to charge for my product?' 'Will the time / materials involved be worth it?' 'Can I keep up with demand if this item becomes popular?' etc etc. Several websites also let you upload pre-made graphics, vectors, designs, photos, etc. that others can download for a flat fee -- it can take a while for these things to catch on, but in the end, a clever product could become popular and end up as a steady source of income, even if it's only a few bucks.

I'm only throwing examples out there because nobody can tell you what path to take, but, if you really want to live as an artist, I say go for it. And I also say save up for 6 months to a year beforehand, if you can. Just in case.

Donator — They/Them Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/12 09:49:57 )
@Vii: Is Patreon the website you're thinking of? That one can definitely help an artist just as a tip jar at first.

Donator — A.I. Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/13 00:16:23 )
@Addy: It's not Patreon, but that is definitely another good one, for as you said it can at least be a little tip jar to help pay for gas or materials or whatever. It's frustrating the heck out of me that I can't remember what this site was! Ah, well. I'm sure I'll either come across it again or remember randomly. xD

Donator — They/Them Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/13 08:16:17 )
@vii: The only other one I'm familiar with is Ko-Fi! There's probably a bunch of others, though. I'll keep an eye out!

Donator — Trash Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/13 09:07:44 )
I spent the last couple of nights setting up deviantART, Twitter, YouTube, Patreon (not live), Redbubble, and Twitch. I'm definitely not going to be able to use all of this right away, but having the profile ready for when I am is probably a good idea.

Next I want to learn how to do audio/video recording for speedpaints on YouTube o uo

@Addy: Ko-Fi is another I'll put on my list for later on down the road~ I'm amazed at how many art sites there are, honestly.

@Vii: Yeah, I'm not quitting my day job just yet, lol. It's decent pay and offers benefits, so it's a good safety net. And if I'm doing art on the side, I think it'll be a bearable main source of income :vanora_smile: Commissions and other art income will really help build up my savings, too.

I'm so excited @u@;;

Donator — They/Them Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/13 09:22:47 )
@sasha: I SEE SOME GOOD STUFF HERE ~ but now I wanna see more!

You're off to a good start and it's slow-going at first on social media and the like, but people LOVE consistency. I don't .. follow this very well myself.. haha. But it can make a big difference in followers who love seeing new shiny things.

I don't have a ton of followers but I'll promote any commission posts and stuff I see, as well!

Donator — A.I. Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/13 20:27:15 )
@Addy: It's Upwork! I finally just looked it up and lo and behold, Upwork was the first result. c': It's just like Freelancer but I think more catered towards art / graphic design.

@Sasha: It's good you have a decent job to help get you started ^-^ and it's great to see that you're really excited! A couple more sites to maybe look into (when you have the time!) are Upwork and Fiverr. You may be able to find small jobs or at least a springboard into the right direction from Upwork, and Fiverr is a place where people buy and sell services for $5. c: Not enough to break the bank, but it can help to fill in the cracks and every little bit counts!

Donator — They/Them Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/14 08:48:51 )
@vii: Ohhh! I was thinking more short-term stuff. Ko-fi is more just for random donations, haha.

Fiverr is a good idea, I should consider setting up one of those again, too. :o
pls ping me, ty!!

TURN OFF THE SUN // PULL THE STARS FROM THE SKY

quest | etc

Donator — A.I. Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/14 20:11:06 )
@Addy: Yeah, I almost had a stint on Fiverr when I couldn't find a job, but I wasn't desperate enough to sit there and make a pittance every task. c':
[ often multitasking unsuccessfully ] | [ I may take a while to respond, but haven't forgotten you! ♥ ]
qu'est-ce que tu vas chercher?

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.