Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat My own roommate locked me out of the house. :I

Donator — whatever Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/8 04:45:17 )

This happened a couple hours ago now.

I had just commented, a couple times, that "I'm taking my trash [from dinner] and the recycling out," picked those things up right in front of roommate, and went outside.

I got just over halfway down the sidewalk when the porch light turned off, followed by the sound of the deadbolt locking behind me.

I had to go knock on my own door (to which roommate shouted at me not to open it), wait for her to turn on the light, look out the window to find me glaring over my glasses at her, and then come and unlock the dang door for me!

If I ever wondered if she was paying attention to a word I say, lol.

Donator — Am Potato Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/8 05:04:40 )
@CooperationIsKey: i have such a huge paranoia that my mother in law would do something like that to me (even though i know she wouldn't... probably.) that even if i am just running out to the car or taking out the trash that i bring my keys and phone with me. It's not that i don't trust my mother in law... but i can't shake the feeling that she doesn't like me so *shrug*

it's frustrating when roommates do things like that. Take your house key with you next time!

Why did she shout not to open it?

Donator — whatever Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/8 05:14:45 )

@Alorrena: To be fair, I don't think she did it on purpose. She thought I was in the house and has a habit of keeping the door locked and turning off the porch light at night. When she hollered not to open it, it's because she thought I was inside and didn't know who was at the door, and was just being safe.

And god what a pain, I don't want to have to grab my keys and/or phone every time I just run the trash out!

Donator — Am Potato Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/8 05:23:58 )
@CooperationIsKey: i (try to) keep my keys by the door, so it's not too big of a deal when i go out to grab them(cause i have my phone on me always). I'd rather have my keys and not need them than need them and not have them. To be fair, my mother in law and my husband don't hear the door very well anyways, so i don't want to have to pound on the door just to be let in.

oh okay, that makes sense. I understand keeping the door locked at all times, but it does sound like she definitely didn't listen or pay attention to what you said. My husband has a habit of doing that too so i have to make sure he's looking at me and listening to me before i do anything like leave because otherwise i'll get a text 10-15 minutes later from him in a panic wondering where i went.
Call me Rena (Reh-nuh)! <3 married 02/02/2020
Rena's Quest

Donator — she/her/hers Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/8 19:22:38 )
I, too, can be quite paranoid about bringing my keys with me everywhere. It's easy to lock myself out of my house (I haven't done it yet though), so I triple check that the door is unlocked to take out the trash or get the mail when I'm alone. I accidentally locked my roommate out once when she was gardening. I didn't know she was home. I was just like, "Whoa, I guess I left the back door unlocked last night." Whoops! =/
It's just your friendly apple maiden!

Donator — He/They Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/9 00:34:05 )
(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)ノ Hello there

We have a key hidden outside the door incase this happens or my gran inst home... However you can only acces that key if you get inside the apartment building... wich requiers another key... so you then need to hope one of the neighbours is home and ring to let you inside lol

。.:☆*:・ヽ(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)

♦ Gob | 23 | Taurus | Belgium ♦
Insta | Toyhouse | Gallery | Carrd

♦ My Art Shop ♦

Donator — whatever Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/9 00:54:05 )

@Alorrena: I keep my keys on my bedroom doorknob, so they're conveniently near the front door but also serve as an "I am home" sign for the roommate.

Lmao I have managed to sneak out of the house for doctor's appointments and stuff before, only for her to text me offering me breakfast or something (she doesn't like to knock on my door so she texts me instead). The other day I had to ask her if she'd be home when I got home because I ran out to my Lyft in such a rush I forgot my keys or to lock the front door! She didn't even know I'd left yet. XD

@Mathonwy: I've sorta locked the roommate out before but only for a minute or two; she'd just installed a new front doorknob and was testing the lock, so she locked it instead of the deadbolt when she left, without telling me. So, naturally, I went "oh the door's unlocked" and locked the deadbolt. Only to hear her struggle with the lock when she got home because she thought only the knob was locked, lol.

This reminds me, I should get a key made of the new doorknob.. o_o

@GoblinsAndTea: I'm not sure Roomie would go for hiding a key somewhere; she did leave one out for me when I came back from being away for a few days once, but only because I'd had to leave my key with her for some reason or other and only for an hour or two. But I think she's far too worried about people breaking in to do that on a regular basis. And having a package stolen recently, in broad daylight, while we were home, probably hasn't helped. ^^;

Please ping me!

Voltie — Baby Yoda Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/10 23:23:06 )
so i have this awful habit of locking the backdoor after my kids go out to work on crafts, forgetting they're out there LOL
they'll hear the lock and quickly run up to the door and give me the look lol.

anyway
id be awfully heated if my roommate did that to me, especially when you're taking out the trash =_=, like you're doing something nice taking out the recycling and bam. yours words went in thru one of their ears and out the other lol

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.