Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Favorite Apple Varieties

Donator — #Roy4Mayor Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/10 20:17:44 )
I knew there were a lot of different kinds of apples, but I haven't heard of most of the ones you listed!

I used to really love Red Delicious apples, but I haven't had a truly good one in a long time =( Used to love Golden Delicious apples too, but I've found myself getting more into tart apples lately. I really like Granny Smith, Spartan, Macintosh, and Gala apples. Galas are probably my favourite, actually.

I remember I didn't really realize how many varieties there were before I worked as a cashier in a grocery store, and even more so after I moved to Produce. We got so many....Jazz apples, Pink Ladies, Honeycrips, Fuji, might've even had Jonagolds at one point. I can't remember if there's a difference between Gala and Royal Gala.

Apples are yummy, and now I kinda wish I had apple slices xD

Donator — she/her/hers Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/11 02:22:58 )
@alchemists fire: Hooray! It gives me great joy to hear people say that they get a craving for apples because of me! Gala is an amazing, solid variety, I really enjoy them. And Golden Delicious is one of my favorites! If you find Macoun, you should try them! They're a bit tart and sweet and you can often find them in the store.

Donator — she/they/him Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/11 03:41:08 )

@Mathonwy:
I shall have to keep an eye out for it!

Donator — #Roy4Mayor Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/11 06:28:31 )
@Mathonwy: Can't say I've heard of Macoun, but I'll have to try and remember it and see if we ever get them up here =)
Currently dressed as: Christmas Maple

Donator — He/They Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/11 22:49:22 )

Went to a different store than usual and they did, in fact, have Autumn Glory apples there, so of course I had to get some. They were not quite the same as the ones I had before, though. Bigger and not quite as strong of a flavor, but still better than the usual grocery store apples we get.

Donator — she/her/hers Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/12 01:41:21 )
@count trashula: The larger apples are often the least flavorful, though it's not always the case. Like, if I grow some Lamb Abbey Pearmain, the best tasting ones are hardly bigger than large crabapples. It's like the flavor is concentrated in the smaller fruit specimens.

Donator — He/They Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/12 02:03:23 )

@Mathonwy: So I've noticed! Hopefully one day I'll come across smaller ones like the first time I tried them. They tasted just like caramel and cinnamon, it was wild. The bigger ones had a hint of that, but were almost more floral than anything else. Still unique compared to what I'm used to, but not nearly as impressive. The hunt continues...

ALWAYS PING ME

Donator — she/they/him Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/12 04:50:01 )

@Mathonwy:
honeycrisp and cosmic crisp seem to
be an exception to that rule
i get the HUGE one's and they taste amazing
better than the smaller size ones

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/12 09:34:46 )
Honeycrisp!

Donator — she/her/hers Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/12 14:41:50 )
@justice: It definitely depends on the apple and the season! Last year (not this past season, but the one before) here in New England, we had a very wet summer, and the apples were all huge and very flavorful. I ended up with some of the largest Golden Delicious apples I'd ever seen hanging on a tree, and they were quite good and flavorful. Some apples are also just larger as a variety, so "big" specimens of them are actually just normal. Mutsu and Jonagold are great examples of this. They are almost universally huge because they're triploid varieties, so they just come that way. Honeycrisp and Cosmic Crisp are on the larger side, and it also helps that they have less dense flesh, so if they swell with extra water then it's kind of just how they already are. Cosmic Crisp is great because it's a keeper. They bred Honeycrisp with Enterprise to get it, and Enterprise can last nearly a year in storage, so apples that are good for long storage will keep more flavor as well. This is one of the reasons apples are so special to me: so much can into how they taste, and there's this simultaneous possibility for heartache that you had a terrible year of work, but also the possibility of triumph that you worked hard all year and the crop came out great!

@feralgaythem: Try MN55 cultivar! (It's marketed as Rave or First Kiss in the U.S., I'm not sure about elsewhere.)

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/12 19:08:47 )
@Mathonwy We get ours from a smaller farm so we don't have them here

Donator — she/her/hers Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/12 20:23:25 )
@feralgaythem: No worries! I just like telling folks about apples they might also enjoy based on their favorites.

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/13 22:07:39 )

I adore any apples, but of course grannysmith will always be my favorite. A second would be the honey crisp ones!

bloop

Donator — whatever Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/16 10:01:30 )

This honeycrisp apple I have tastes great, but something about the texture is murder on my teeth, omg. Like biting through sand.

Donator — she/they/him Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/17 06:06:19 )

@Mathonwy:
that's awesome!
and i'm in NE too
c:

☥ "Think of me when you look at the night sky" ☥

leave me msgs here

The Crooked Dog Inn

plz ping me!

Donator — she/her/hers Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/20 21:04:05 )
Texture seems to be really important for a lot of people, but I honestly don't feel that picky about it (unless it's really unusual or unsatisfactory: very grainy varieties like Mollie's Delicious, or ones that are too watery and feel like biting into watermelon more than apple).

@justice: I love it here!
It's just your friendly apple maiden!

Donator — whatever Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/22 02:36:56 )

I HAVE DISCOVERED AUTUMN GLORY APPLES AND THEY ARE AMAZING.
Please ping me!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.