Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat My latest hyper fixation

Donator — Am Potato Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/09/9 11:19:42 )
So lately (as in the last couple days) i've been thinking about the quilt project i was going to do earlier this year that just kind of kept getting pushed aside until i ended up moving. Mostly cause i kept making excuses for things i wanted/needed to make cutting fabric easier. Well, i got everything (except a big enough table, still don't have that, but i'll have one that's going to work well enough hopefully and isn't covered in my husband's stuff), and then we decided to move (ended up being a bad choice). Well now we're getting ready to move back to where we were, and i want to pick up where i left off. So now i've been watching quilting videos and making up ideas on how to make my own patterns and what not, and it's making me lose sleep because i'm hyper fixated and my brain won't stop thinking about it because i can't scratch that itch that my brain decided to have.

Oh, i have ADHD, Which is probably why i'm so hyper fixated on this right now. I'm sure once i finish a quilt (or maybe i might surprise myself and make 2 or 3!! that would be neat...), the itch will be satiated enough for me to lose interest and not do it again for a few years. But also, maybe it will become something i can actually do!

It's also not like sewing is a common hobby for people my age/younger, so it's nice because i don't get imposter syndrome anxiety about my finished projects, like i do with drawing or writing or cooking.

What are some of your hyper fixations, how long did they last, and did you ever hyper fixate on it at an inconvenient time like when you're trying to go to sleep?

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/09/9 17:08:53 )

I lose sleep over hyper fixations ALL OF THE TIME! Even when I do fall asleep I'll dream about it too and I think my muscles get twitchy so I don't rest properly
my husband says I twitch a lot in my sleep lmfao

This sounds so much fun though, I recently hyper focused on wanting a sewing machine so badly to learn how to use it so I can make quilts and holiday garlands. Thankfully I'm frugal enough with my money that my temporary obsession didn't follow through with it lmao

I hope you're move goes smoothly!! Show us when you start your quilting! Id love to see

I am leaving Voltra
Find my links here

08 22 22

Donator — Am Potato Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/09/10 09:36:54 )
@Jolly: i completely get the twitching in your sleep thing. My husband says i do it a lot as i start to fall asleep, and i know i do cause sometimes i'll twitch myself awake lol

I have 3 different kinds of machines, and i have bought none of them. My first one was a pretty simple brother. It works well enough for basic sewing. i got that for a wedding gift from my mom, and then the other two are a serger that looks like this one (i don't wanna pull it out to find the exact one). And an embroidery machine that my grandma paid $3000 for forever ago (like over 10 years ago). i asked for just the surger since she said she didn't use hers, and she was all, "okay, i'll send it to you." And sent both. I was happily surprised lol

I've never made a quilt before, and i have a habit of jumping off the deep end with minimal knowledge and skills, so i've been watching a ton of youtube videos. Also i decided i was going to make my gf a sunflower quilt so i looked up sunflower quilt blocks to see what i could come up with. Should be interesting.

Donator — Am Potato Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/09/11 05:25:29 )
@Borealis: I get that. I have a hard time getting a cleaning hyper fixation, because it's so easily disrupted by other people. i can do it if no one is home and i have company coming over that day or the following day. Otherwise, i can't hyper fixate on cleaning to save my life.
Call me Rena (Reh-nuh)! <3 married 02/02/2020
Rena's Quest

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.