Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts I always found these Avatar-based websites Fascinating. How Would I go About Making My Own?

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/21 05:45:23 )
Just curious.

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/21 10:29:07 )
You'd need a forum code (phpBB or something similar), a coder to work on this code as well as code the additional things like the site appearance, avatar system, currency, events etc. and artists to make the items.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/21 14:35:14 )

You would need a front end and back end developer and then artists and uploaders. Probably also writers. It’s a big staff even for small sites.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/21 15:01:10 )
You need coders and technical people, artists & manager-types. You need the software. You need a way to collect money to support the site. You need a hosting company. You need some kind of marketing to get the word out there to draw people in. You need dedication and time and money to pull it all together, and you can not do it alone. Another option is you could always buy a pre-existing, but floundering, avatar forum if you really wanted to have your own but not build it completely from the ground up. They take a lot of effort, imo.

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/21 19:22:18 )
Thank you for all of you all's input. I am from Gaia and I have been on that site since the first days it opened. However, after 18+ years, after much time and money was wasted on the site and following all of the rules like a good little loyal Gaian, I was banned for no reason and of no fault of my own, seriously. I didn't do anything and they won't look at my appeals. Turns out I am not the only one they have treated this way. I am obsessed and possessed to make a Gaia-like site to ultimately take them down and make them pay. I already know what worked for them and what didn't and what the Gaian people want, I've been spending some time questioning and researching. Gaia's overall laziness and blindness to their own practices that once worked for them, but they no longer expand on them may be to my advantage. This is kind of like my own Kill Bill quest. I am an artist, designer, and writer, so that's out of the way at least. But yes, I will need coders and site developers, obviously.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/21 19:25:04 )

I'm sorry that happened to you. I've heard of that happening. I hope that you will be able to find peace on another avatar site.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/21 19:26:51 )
Whimsy:
You'd need a forum code (phpBB or something similar), a coder to work on this code as well as code the additional things like the site appearance, avatar system, currency, events etc. and artists to make the items.

I can plan the site appearance, currency, and avatar items. However, the events would need to be someone else.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/21 19:31:30 )
Totalanimefan:

I'm sorry that happened to you. I've heard of that happening. I hope that you will be able to find peace on another avatar site.

Thanks a lot. I will only find true peace when I'm able to take them down though. The thirst for revenge is too strong.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/21 19:44:02 )

@The I: Good luck. I feel like at this point nothing can take them down. I wish you well.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/22 01:03:50 )
Totalanimefan:

@The I: Good luck. I feel like at this point nothing can take them down. I wish you well.

I'll find a way.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/22 03:15:03 )
Stinky:
with the sponsorships they get, user cashflow and the workload that goes into managing a site of any size i think it would be hard to compete without some significant capital at the outset. starting an avatar site these days is quite a bit different than in the internet of the early 2000's. many have come and gone and none really captured gaia's userbase, even as it has sank below its prime.

however as a potential user i would not be against someone running another avatar site regardless. to me the more the merrier. it would be neat to see something that stands out against others, gaia included. the problem i have with many of these is that theyre very similar, there must be something that will keep me logging in daily that others dont offer. users dont want to log into the same site over and over if that makes sense, theres got to be a niche. i think surveying people on various sites what stands out to them about each might paint a picture of things that would make it successful, things that bring it down, and things that you can do differently.

whats the average age of the userbase you intend to cater to? is it going to be child friendly? adult oriented? all-ages with a forum divide? this is important because it impacts the terms of service and the rules youll have to apply, not just the content of the site itself. is your moderation staff going to be paid or on a volunteer basis? where do you find them and what standards do you hold them to in their approach?
you don't have to answer these questions to me but theyre the sort of things that youll find yourself needing to answer on the way.

theyre not quite the same but petsites (ie neopets, aywas, flight rising, etc) can also provide a source of research material for an avatar site since there is quite a lot of overlap between these sorts of communities, the style of forums, events and the way sites are run is similar. you dont have to emulate them but you could survey people who use them as well. users of both sites will easily volunteer the gripes they have.

anyway hope that helps with your research.

Thanks so much! You have given me a lot to consider, but to answer one question, if I were to create an avatar-based site, it would be catered to 15 and up.

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/22 11:40:03 )
@The I: other than recolor, the one existing avatar site i can think of that caters to that more mature age group (15+ instead of PG13) is trisphee. they are in need of pixelists/artists/designers, and their avatar layering system is really quite special. if you would want to work with a site that already has developers and coders, then this is an option and it's easier than starting a site from scratch. on the other hand, starting from scratch would enable you to make something exactly like your vision if you have one, so it's your call.
roleplay search | tarot readings | buying ohms (pm me) | questing: styr

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/23 03:04:32 )
Whimsy:
@The I: other than recolor, the one existing avatar site i can think of that caters to that more mature age group (15+ instead of PG13) is trisphee. they are in need of pixelists/artists/designers, and their avatar layering system is really quite special. if you would want to work with a site that already has developers and coders, then this is an option and it's easier than starting a site from scratch. on the other hand, starting from scratch would enable you to make something exactly like your vision if you have one, so it's your call.

Thanks! I'll have to check that out!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.