Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat On the board for promotion again

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/5 15:35:14 )

At my job. I'm so nervous!

The way it works, when you promote in my company, you move to another location to do so. Its really rare to promote within the same location. So for as long as I stay at my current location, I always remain a "Manager Trainee". But the company frowns deeply upon those who wont promote.
I have already been nagged at for rejecting an offer to promote to the MIDDLE of friggin Austin, a place where I could never hope to drive in. But if I say "I'm a weak driver I can't do that" I'll become a useless item to the company, and the lowest of priority. Not a good place to be so I had to find a graceful way to slip out of that one. I managed to "redeem" myself by throwing my name in the hat for the next promotion that appeared, but I was rejected for that because I got a low secret shopper score at the time (lol). This was a relief because it gave me a reason to lay low and catch up on personal things outside of work, before considering moving again. I was "allowed" to not respond to available opportunities in the company for a while (they appear in emails to us). This gave me the time I needed to adjust and catch up on personal life stuff, but also to ignore locations that I wouldn't want to be in like those in more dangerous areas.

Anyway, I don't hate this concept of moving to promote in the sense that I'm never entirely "stuck" in an area. There are a lot of "dead end" cities I'd end up in otherwise Lol

So we have a location near Dallas (several hours from me, I'm closer to Austin) where the Asst Manager there got demoted because he has been an Asst for 10 years and never wanted to promote to a store manager elsewhere. I didn't know the company went that far still, but they do apparently! So its like we're on a time limit, but its very unusual to be laid off in this job so its not like the man is being pushed out entirely. Just deeply discouraged. Bottom of the company priority line.
Its very shitty, imo.
But this opens an available opportunity in an area that actually... looks really nice. I spent the last two days researching it, especially the infrastructure of the roads and whatnot. Because my driving is weak I gotta be sure I can do it.
I see back roads and 30mph signs and options to always go around highways or alternate routes--I need this :vanora_cry:
Tornado sirens might be a spook for me, but my husband is from Minnesota so he just goes "pffffft"

I pray there wont be animosity if I get this promotion, since the former Asst still works there. I would plan to introduce myself politely and hope to build a relationship where I can learn from the person. My current Asst knows him to be a good dude, so maybe that will be the case.
I dont wanna be a manager, but I mean
Its the "no one wants to be here so its not congested, but the area is very nicely kept up with" city that I might be looking for.
JUST THE APARTMENTS in Texas overall are getting so expensive, I'll be increasing my monthly bills ;; wheezes

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/5 15:40:34 )
    Wtf… how is this legal? I mean, good luck to you and everything but this sounds wild. Will you have to move house?

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/5 15:46:54 )

@sunny:
I know back in the day, when you promoted to asst manager, there was a contract you sign that agrees you WILL promote to a store management position within a certain amount of years (5-10 years or something). But they did recently remove that from the contract.
I'm not sure how its legal, maybe because they didnt fire him??

I hate this job but it pays a lot so, if it can help me to find where I wanna live, I'll use it for that purpose! It DID save me from a hellish life before because of its whole moving concept :vanora_sweat: And they do help with the move costs by sending $2k onto the paycheck for it to stack with our paycheck numbers and get taxed to hell lmao

anyway yeah, I would have 2 weeks to uproot everything and get into an apartment there sdjkfg

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/5 15:49:50 )

I guess I could also mention that even though apartments are way expensive everywhere
the cost of the housing where the promotion is, is absolutely more affordable than here
I'm hoping even if its rough at first, this job will help me afford a house and if I play my cards right, I can snuggle down real comfortable in the next few years

Then look into a change of career :vanora_xd:

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/5 16:10:08 )
    @Jolly: i hope everything goes smoothly for you. I hope you get the outcome you want <3 moving a lot can be super stressful, but I guess if it’s worth it in the end??

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/5 17:20:45 )

@sunny:
I hope so too! moving that quickly is so hard financially, but it might be a good opportunity.
I really love my current apartment and I'll miss it, but I also really like not living in military towns (you get some dodgy people here and crazy traffic)

hoping I get this ;;

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/5 17:21:38 )
    @Jolly: I have my fingers crossed for you! Honestly all that moving would stress me tf out but I hope you get what you want!!!! <3

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/6 15:30:31 )

Thank you!!
Yeah I'm stress :'D

The drive to that city is like 3 hours, so if I get this position we may just make a long day trip out there to check out apartments in person.
I did more searching last night and I found two surrounding cities that would also be a good fit for temporary home. The closer the better of course, I am not a strong driver :')

I am leaving Voltra
Find my links here

08 22 22

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.