Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Work frustrations, ranting

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/25 23:19:13 )

My store manager sat me down to tell me that our Regional manager, allegedly, is threatening to change my schedule up without my permission as some gross punishment because I haven't sold enough adjustable bases at work last week.
??????
I've had normal adjustable base sales for the year and a half I've worked here. quotas fluctuate like with anyone.
But the entire store is down, everything is down. All quotas for the store overall is mostly down. But that's the entire region, the company even!
Foot traffic is 80% DOWN at my store, we actually calculated it compared to last year. My assistant who works My same schedule, he's same as me on numbers and he's known for being amazing at this sales thing.
So to frame this as a punishment is cruel! And when I bring these reasons up, I'm met with "that's just an excuse". My store manager said that and it really got under my skin.

They know that Mondays are important to me, so it's felt like a low blow every time they do this. they've always tried to take it away because jobs just cannot STAND a person needing one day out of the week to not be available because it's the only day I can run errands and take care of my family. The only day I'm guaranteed to see my husband. holidays take it away which is fine, although sometimes I feel like my store manager finds joy when I lose my Mondays this way. But like I'm fine working that day occasionally as needed, just need it to be my usual off day for my personal life. If they take it, I'm absolutely screwed out of any appointments (share 1 car and I can't drive here ect ect), dates, anything that I do with my partner outside of work. It's only on this day because my shifts are 11 hours, it's impossible to squeeze family time with work time otherwise. My husband CAN'T change his off day at his job, he had to fight a lot to get his Mondays off too.
My managers know how important this is to me.

This is only because I didn't sell adjustable bases for one week! I mostly sold mattresses for kids last week!!

RSM also suggested I didn't sell any Tempur/Sealy/Stearns brand mattresses. another quota we have. But in fact I sold more than anyone else, I only didn't sell any last week. The week before last I only worked 1 day because bereavement, but I still sold these brands and an adjustable in fact!! I don't understand that even when I say this, they still continue to threat. I HAVE BEEN selling these things, just last week flopped!

I'm not inadequate! Why do they push my nerves like this?

I'm so angry
no other job around here will pay what this job pays, I've been looking, but I can't afford our home if I take a pay cut. This is just the straw on top, I've been biting back on so much work stress from these managers. I wonder if they're trying to push me to quit? Maybe this is why my store manager keeps pushing extra work on me.

In desperate times, my management team is becoming rude af.
It's terribly angering :vanora_cry:

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/25 23:26:15 )

meanwhile, i see my assistant manager has been job hunting for a couple months already. he doesn't hide it from me cause i don't yap, but i really see that he goes through a lot here too.

our warehouse guy just quit because of the store manager,
a few months ago another sales person quit because of him.
the other asst lady got promotion to another store, so she did exclaim to me that she was happy to leave this store manager.

now the current asst and i are so so tired

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/26 18:57:51 )

I've seen things like this before and it's horrible. I'm sorry that they are treating you this way when times aren't good right now.
Is there anyway you could get an office job? Those tend to pay more than retail, but I don't know what your pay is like.

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/26 20:26:24 )

@Totalanimefan:
I haven't seen any ads for any job that pays even close to this one that isn't about driving a box truck. I don't have a lot of wiggle room to cut my wage until my husband gets full time (his job is being crap too so he's also hunting). or until I pay off my car.
:vanora_stunned:

I made 52k last year, this year I'll probably be around 40-45k with how inflation actually dropped our sales and foot traffic. i try to stay in this pay range. This company pays well and its not absurdly hard, but the managers can really make or break it.

With warehouse guy gone too, we're all about to add a ton of tasks to our daily load. last one we lost, it was so chaotic trying to run the floor while managing the warehouse at the same time

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/26 20:41:53 )

I just wanna be a hard workin artist
i don't do people well
but people services pay

why life be cruel like this :vanora_cry:

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/26 21:48:56 )

@Jolly: That is a lot for retail. I guess the only thing would be a sales job in an office.
Is there an HR that you can complain to?

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/26 22:28:44 )

@Totalanimefan:
sadly not, there's no one i can rely on when it comes to personal problems like this. my store manager and regional manager are expected to be as HR as it gets.
but they have such a mentality that "the job owns me" that there's no way they will listen. they cannot fathom the idea that my family is more important than this job, and why it's a big deal to me to lose the one day each week that i am able to spend time with my husband. they just know that it IS a big deal and so they'll use it against me.

but yes, it is an unusual pay range for a retail job. even with it being commission based. i don't want to sound ungrateful to that. people just suck x__x

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/26 22:37:18 )

@Jolly: That was the same when I worked retail. It's honestly BS. But it's how it is.
That kind of behavior is illegal, but there is no HR. (I'm taking a bunch on HR classes atm including Employment Law). I wish they weren't assholes. You don't sound ungrateful at all.

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/26 22:49:58 )

@Totalanimefan:
well, from an employee pov, I feel like most of these kinds of jobs post all these employee protection and labor law posters just to make the walls look good. there's a lot of preach from companies, but I've never actually been protected by any law in my former jobs. stolen cash tips, harassment, verbal abuse, even changing schedules after they've been posted to intentionally label me "late" because they didn't notify the change, to refuse employee discount, to punish for not being able to lift more than 100lbs when the job requirement only stated up to 50lbs (my current company doesn't do this, these are just old retail experiences).

but these little things that can massively affect an employee's mental health over time, no one really protects them from it. it's hard to prove. I've lost trust in "the system" to actually help.

just like i never got therapy from them when i got attacked, either.
:vanora_xd: don't think that would help me anyway, but man it was pulling teeth dealing with

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/26 23:33:02 )

@Jolly: Oh trust me. I never had anything good happen to me while I worked retail and notice that you can never talk to an HR person or anyone that isn't your manager. I've be written up for things I didn't do, I've not had injury reports filed when I was hurt, I've had managers lie about my performance to try and fire me.

But it doesn't change the fact that it is actually illegal. It just doesn't really help those in retail because corporate doesn't care about retail employees.

I do think that therapy helps when one experiences trauma. It's not an instant fix though.

Seriously look at other sales jobs. Normally there are a ton. Maybe save up some money first and then leave, but you don't have to take this. I don't recommend just doing any retail job. There are sales jobs that are in an office.

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/27 02:44:05 )

@Totalanimefan:
its so sad, really. and frustrating!
if anyone would listen, there's a lot I could say about how much my store manager is just NOT fit for his job lol
hell, he makes the trainees do his job for him while he sits and watches police videos on full volume on his phone all day. He over promises, lies, cheats, steals customers from the rest of us. among other real frustrating things.

I need therapy for existing in this society, I swear :vanora_xd:

But yeah, I have my eyes open. Kind of been grazing the job market for a few months off and on. Nothing yet. I'm "not allowed" to work for another mattress/furniture store, but I have yet to find in the system if there is actually a non compete clause or if I have signed anything. I cannot remember and my asst manager hasn't found anything yet, so he thinks its only verbal. aka, don't exist lol other sales jobs I haven't found any yet that pay the range that I need. yet!

We also have a co-manager coming in July, so if I dont change jobs, I've been holding my breath to see if he makes any improvements to this store. I hear he's really good on integrity. And... I wonder what he'll find in his time with us? The errors are easy to see, the auditors are already noticing the current store manager.
If this co-manager presence helps at all to improve the balance at my store, I would wanna see if I could follow him to the new location they're building for him! But that'll be 1-2 years later ;;;;;;

I am leaving Voltra
Find my links here

08 22 22

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/27 20:14:46 )

@Jolly: Oh maybe things will get better in July even if you don't change jobs, but yeah keep a look out. Just type into a job website your location and then sales and see what comes up. And make sure they aren't scams lol

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.