Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Aspergers vs Autism

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/26 21:02:29 )

*edit: I understood faster than I thought I would! ty

Hello hello
this is actually not intended to be a serious topic, but it can absolutely be a sensitive one so I felt this the best forum to put it in. Also a place to avoid the subject if it makes anyone uncomfortable. Please let me know if that is the case though and I can happily erase it! I by no means intend any disrespect, I am really just oblivious to the social expectations.

I moreso wanted to understand the common opinion and negative implications surrounding the label Aspergers

What brings this up was a happy little chit chat in a discord server where someone started to assume I was autistic. They had innocent intentions, it was moreso referring to a kind of hyperfixation that I have on things sometimes. To give credit to their thoughts, I mentioned that Aspergers was suggested when I was young but not officially documented (I take it as not truly a diagnosis, doctor didn't want me to lose rights later in life by being "less than ordinary" on paper--the world sucks a bit). All in all, I leave it open as possibility but I'll probably never have it confirmed. No need to.

But by saying the word, the chat exploded as if I just said hail h*tler or something. Before I could get any explanation as to why "Aspergers" has become such an offensive word, mods silenced everyone :vanora_xd:

I did some quick google searches but couldn't find anything concrete I guess. The only information I got was that aspergers is now just merged into autism. That was alarming to me because I could've sworn I read about Aspergers in DSM-5 as still being a separate thing. There are distinct differences in the two even if they share similarities--!

What do you all think about this?
Of course, I'm open for corrections! I guess my concern was that I understood differences, and it feels like a mental disorder has been essentially erased for some reason. But I'm 30 now so I'm a boomer who dont understand

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/26 21:06:40 )
    I hate the term "Aspergers", for obvious reasons. There is no such thing as high functioning, or less severe autism, or anything like that. It's a spectrum. Aspergers is an old term for what is now called ASD. It makes more sense that way. Someone with so called "Aspergers" could have high support needs in one area, but low support needs in others. It's just a spectrum. ASD is the correct, up to date term for what used to be called Aspergers.

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/26 21:08:46 )

@sunny:
Gotcha gotcha
actually the way you explain it makes a lot more sense. Perhaps I wasn't understanding Autism spectrum correctly all along!

(also your post style is the cutest thing)

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/26 21:11:11 )
    @Jolly: yeah it can be hard, especially as the spectrum is a relatively new concept. And it sure is a varied spectrum. Low support needs and high support needs are the accepted terms for either ends of the spectrum. There's plenty of decent info out there that can explain it better than me lol, just as long as you stay away from Autism Speaks.

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/26 21:15:00 )

@sunny:
Oh, I think I've heard about Autism Speaks before.
I have a hard time finding trustworthy info online when comes to these kinds of things. There's a lot of this and that. That's why I came here, I tend to respect the minds of the people on this site. Conversation helps me pick up on context too TvT

Donator — He/Him Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/27 15:03:59 )
My roommate has used the term to describe herself for many years, so I only just recently found out why it was bad myself >_<

Ping me!

Hangout

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/27 16:07:38 )

@Stinky:
OH
Oh this makes it make so much more sense why people got angry
shoot I wish I knew this :vanora_cry:
I guess you dont know what you dont know until it slaps you in the face sometimes~!

Thank you!

@Shark:
Yeah my mom and I always used this term because that's what we were told I had, but this was back in like the early 00's or late 90's. It was probably still being figured out back then.
I never 100% believed the diagnosis cause it can very often be misdiagnosed, and was never even documented. But now I know to uh.. correct the terminology if it ever comes up again!

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/27 16:57:31 )
    @Jolly: oh sorry, I thought you knew about the Nazi thing, or I would have explained :O sorry!

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/1 03:21:18 )

@sunny:
No you're fine! Its something that everyone should know, honestly.
WW2 is such an important deal, I really ought to refresh my memory on a lot of it. My schools never brought it up when I was a kid (90s FL schools, yknow), so what I know just comes from internet and museums x__x

@Stinky:
Oh, is it common that schools dont teach about WW2? Or just about that dude specifically?
I do recall on another website, a few years ago, some kid was bein real nasty to me because they insisted that the events never even happened and it was all some made up legend! I had to log off after that one :vanora_stunned:

Psychology is so very interesting, very helpful, but can also be very annoying at the same time.
It makes a lot of sense what you say though. I get a bit narrow minded at times, so when I was handed DSM5 and told "this is phsycologist bible, it is law" (I'm exaggerating, but this is how black and white my brain gets lmao) I really take it too seriously when I shouldn't.

I am leaving Voltra
Find my links here

08 22 22

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.