Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat I got a shiny new thing

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/27 15:45:09 )

we've been wanting to get a second computer for a while so that we can play FFXIV together, or so my partner can work on his music WHILE I draw on my desktop. We've just been sharing my computer all this time. (he has a "gaming" laptop from before I met him but its a Lenovo. They're a scam, dont buy their computers. He didn't know)

I've been hesitant on buying a whole new computer at the price they cost, for my partner who is also still just learning how to maintain them. So I gotta like, inspect it every so often to make sure its not crammed with malware :vanora_xd:

We decided finally that I will simply buy myself a new computer and he can use my old alienware!
By old I mean I've had it 4 years, but its a pretty strong one and runs actually better than day 1 (originally had a broken software for the lights on it that I had to stomp into oblivion cause it caused more problems than good lmaoo)

So, behold

I pick this baby up after work today!
I've only messed with iBuypower pcs briefly in the past and I only hear good things about them. My job has made me s i c k of Dell, so I didn't really wanna spend the price for another alienware, even if they're good. I rather try something new this time :D
i7, 16GB, RTX 2060 (my alienware is 1070), SSD+HDD. Really, everything is almost the same as my alienware, its just a bigger graphics card!

I M E X C I T E D

Donator — he/him Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/28 04:20:41 )
@Jolly: whaaaaaaaaaaa congratulations!!! It’s so pretty and that’s so great you can both play at once now!

I haven’t heard of iBuypower; let us know how it works for you.

I also weep because I have a Lenovo “gaming” computer I got relatively recently and it started to die and slow down right away :vanora_stunned: it’s my first gaming pc and I thought maybe it was because it’s a laptop, that’s too bad it’s a Lenovo thing. I almost bought an Alienware instead too but thought the Lenovo was a better deal TT__TT still better than my old one and plays what I need it to but I’m just waiting for it to die suddenly lol

Edit: fixed a million typos, sorry

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/28 21:01:17 )

@Synth:
Oh nooo D:
I'm sorry you had to experience Lenovo at its best. Although I'm glad if my warnings can help prevent a repeat the next time you get a computer!
I have experienced their tablets and my partner's laptop before finding a chaotic amount of reviews stating that they are, in a nutshell, a scam. Its almost like they are made to break if you use them for any gaming purposes!

Alienware is great, but it IS full of fluff software that isn't necessary and its more expensive. And also, they're Dell. I dont like Dell.

So far I'm pretty impressed with my iBuypower. They have great feedback that I've seen for being a good competitor at a lower cost. If I got another Alienware or Acer, I'd end up spending a lot more on their names and fluff softwares. But this one is pretty straight forward for the most part. The most jarring thing is I forgot we're past windows 10 now, I didn't expect to boot up to a whole new OS :vanora_xd:

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/28 21:05:10 )

OH BUT
I forgot that my cintiq (drawing tablet) is super old and didn't think to check the ports on my new pc before buying--

I cant plug it innnnnnn
cause there's no dvi port

thought of getting a simple adapter, but i know that those can cause glitches and such
decided to just.. get a new tablet update too. Its on order, but I grabbed a Huion kamvas 22 plus!

Its a work in progress until my kamvas comes in to replace the cintiq :D

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/29 00:08:44 )
That's a really nice setup! I've bought a few computers with a very similar case to that. You should be able to play most games with that GPU. Any games you are really looking forward to trying?

Donator — he/him Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/29 07:11:18 )
That’s really nice to hear iBuypower doesn’t have all the extra garbage on it. I’ll look into them next time im getting ready to buy (although we’re probably stuck with the Lenovo laptop for the next little while).

Ahahahahaha and yeah about Windows 11. They keep trying to get me to download it but I’m putting it off because I don’t have the energy for anything new, and the computer is working as desired right now. I’m sure they’ll force it on me at some point.

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/30 00:03:53 )

@ElQueso:
Ironically, the first game I tried playing it was GW2 but its like the only game I play that apparently has not caught up to windows 11 yet :vanora_xd:
Aside from that, I cannot WAIT to sub FFXIV again! Its our main obsession and we finally get to play it together!

And yeah! I see this tower style a lot. I wonder if its just efficient enough that companies like it lol
its spacious and the fans work real well in keeping the temperature cool

@Synth:
I'm not sure what it is about Lenovo devices that just inherently crap out so quickly. I wonder if it is something that can be tinkered with haha

windows 11 feels like a tip-toe step toward windows 8, but still not as bad. On first launch its like it tried to look like a mac with the weird centered layout too. But with some tinkering in the settings, I got it to look almost identical to what 10 was like. Just gotta get used to the slight differences

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/30 00:08:10 )

OH BUT I CAN ADMIT it pissed me off how many times I have to login/create accounts just to access standard shit
like its always been like this in windows 10 too but I had found ways to have everything just sorta auto log in without prompting me (including PIN to unlock the computer)
so I kinda forgot
but so far I cant figure out how to make windows 11 not FORCE me to have a locked system, like let me just boot my PC and see my desktop i dont want a lock screeeeeeeen
:vanora_tired:

Donator — he/him Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/1 23:59:38 )
@Jolly: ahhhhh I hate how controlling windows has become. Right now my Windows 10 is locked and I couldn’t figure out how to make it not require a password on startup.

And I hate the required accounts! When they first started doing that I wasn’t living somewhere with regular internet and had to to to the library just to start up my new computer, like wth I paid for it so let me use it.

I might not mind Windows 11 if it’s like a Mac. I very briefly had a Mac and liked some parts of it.
ping me for best results

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/2 00:16:15 )

@Synth:
It was really tricky, I cant exactly remember how I did it on windows 10. But eventually I made it so I could log in without password, but I'd still have the lock screen. I'd just hit space bar to log in. Maybe I just had it remember my PIN idk :vanora_sweat:
been so long

its probably not at all like a mac, just the task bar looked like it on first impression :'')
idk how macs operate. I have one at my job but I avoid it cause its either broken or doesnt like me..

I am leaving Voltra
Find my links here

08 22 22

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.