Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Baking, Sautéing and Grilling: Who Likes to Cook?

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/10 16:13:25 )
    Does anyone else enjoy spending a little time in the kitchen?

I was wondering what everyone else's kitchen life looked like. Do you try to get in and out of there as quickly as possible? Do you enjoy hosting lavish meals for yourself? If you could only keep one kitchen appliance, which one would be the lucky winner?

I'm also kind of curious about what everyone else eats on a day-to-day.

For example, for breakfast lately I eat chicken pâté on whatever bread product I can reach. Lunch is usually something easy and premade, like a frozen beef patty or monster-sized salad with almonds. Dinners are kind of up in the air and dependent on what my partner requests. In the colder months, I make a lot of curry soups but in the summer we try to grill more. I tend to prefer more vegetarian-aimed meals, but my partner is a ride-or-die chicken kind of person.

cooking: ****
    baking: **
    eating: *****
    pickiness: **

Donator — PomePome Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/10 20:40:38 )
@blue: i work in a kitchen 🤔
~Pls Ping me~
Nothing fancy to see here!!!

Donator — he/him Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/10 20:48:20 )

I only like cooking breakfast foods--mostly scrambled/fried eggs and pancakes. Guess I'd choose the stovetop but I also really like toaster ovens.

I normally just have coffee for breakfast lately. If I'm not running late, I'll have frozen waffles or french toast. I've been eating out a lot for lunch... Usually popeyes or taco bell, but sometimes I have leftovers for lunch. Dinner is usually what my mom makes. > o> She has been making soup or stew a lot lately.

Are we giving ourselves stats too? XD

cooking: *
baking: *
pickiness: ***

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/10 21:24:29 )

I am going to answer this sometime today! I just have to think about all that I want to write about. I'm the main cook for my husband and I since he doesn't like to (It's not my fav either, but it's better for you and cheaper than eating out all the time)

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/11 01:33:57 )

After that last post I went to make fried rice for my husband and I with leftover rice I had in the fridge. I love making fried rice. ^^
I'm the type of cook to look at a bunch of similar recipes and then do my own take on the meal. I often 'just use feeling' when cooking and I will switch out things for items that I have in the kitchen and I have to leave out the onions cause they make me sick.

I would say in the kitchen my most used things are my stove with a really nice pan I have. If not I'm normally using the Instant Pot which I really recommend. It's good for making meat quickly, soups, rice, etc etc. It can pretty much do it all and it's great for those that maybe don't have a kitchen or a full kitchen. Great for dorms and shared spaces. I would say it's probably a pretty safe thing to use as long as you don't use a dented one.

I tend not to buy a lot of meat, but sometimes I will for holidays. Like on Christmas I bought a small ham and cooked it.

My go to meal that I made up myself is This is for one or two people, and you could always add to it. For example I'm sure that onions would go well with this, but they made me sick.
1-2 scrambled egg(s)
1 red bellpepper
aioli/sauce of your choosing
and a tortilla per person.
Chop one red bell pepper. Cook it in a pan on Med-low. Add salt, pepper and turmeric if you don't mind the color.
Scramble one or two eggs in the same pan add salt and pepper
Put those on a warm plate to the side.
Warm your tortilla in the pan you were just using, this only takes like 10 sec a side.
Place the tortilla on your plate. Add your sauce (or go sauce free) and then top with your eggs and bell pepper. Then fold.

Since it's been cold I have been making soup or chili. Last week I made chili with impossible meat and it was really good! I'm not vegan so I did add some freshly grated cheese to the top of mine once portioned out.
In the fall I was making pumpkin lentil soup in the instant pot. It was very good.
In the beginning of the pandemic when food was hard to get in the store, I would often make a fried egg and then have that on toast. Sometimes with an avocado if I was able to get one.
Recently I saw a recipe that was a slice of cheese and a thin slice of apple wrapped in prosciutto. It was pretty good, but I kinda like them separate with a cracker better. My husband liked it better wrapped.

I love eating baked goods, but I don't like all the calories and exact-ness in the recipe when it comes to making it at home. It's not worth it to make just one cookie, but if I made 12 and eat 12 that's a lot of calories

Out of 5-stars:
cooking: ****
pickiness: *** (Adding a star since I can't have onions lol)

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/11 02:31:48 )

Im terrible at cooking haha but I do it often bc Im on a budget and dont eat out often

Im incredibly lazy and try to keep it as simple as possible. I also mealprep and eat the same thing for days bc don't have timeeee
luckily Im also the least picky person in the world so anything is palatable

for breakfast, I had a bagel and greek yogurt
I don't really eat lunch, it's kinda just snacks? a banana, cheese stick, and granola bar
for dinner, it's always rice bc Im Asian ✌️ this week Im pairing it with miso soup with tofu, mushrooms, and leafy greens

I have a stack of frozen dinners and instant ramen for those nights when school kicks my ass

most-used appliance is hands-down the rice cooker. I enjoy pressing a button and not having to watch something cook

cooking: *
eating: **** (taking out a star bc I have a stress-starve habit)
pickiness: *

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/11 18:13:30 )

@Hachi: I love my Japanese rice cooker. I've had it for 8 years now and it's still going strong!

Voltie — Z/They Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/11 23:48:49 )
@blue: Well i like to eat n,n

cookings become hard w/ my condition. I can likely do a mean cake still.

Ping me and bring me food..=0.0=

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/12 04:20:54 )

I should minus one star from cooking because I ruined a roux tonight.

Donator — he/him Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/12 16:38:27 )

lol

Ash 8/7/19
Kate 1/9/22

by YukiThePanda <3

Twitter

Donator — whatever Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/17 03:50:15 )

I'm sorta getting the hang of cooking, slowly. I made a killer cottage pie yesterday by just looking at a few recipes and kinda winging it with what I had, and I'm really proud of that.

I'm much more into baking, though.

Please ping me!

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/25 02:15:03 )

@CooperationIsKey: That's awesome! You go Glen Cocoa!

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/25 02:16:02 )

I've been feeling like I can't remember a lot of recipes that I used to cook. I feel a lot of confusion at the store lately. Lots of things have been out of stock so then I look for a replacement or just decide to make a different recipe all together. Food prices have gotten really expensive.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.