Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Entertainment The Matrix: Resurrections

Donator — A.I. Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/2 16:58:53 )
// AI-COM MNRVA : activate MIDNIGHT EXIGENT(aurora knives)

Alright gang, goes without saying that this thread will probably contain spoilers so please direct your eyeballs elsewhere if you don't want to be spoiled. c:

ANYWAY

Has anyone else watched the new Matrix film yet? What are your thoughts?

I liked the execution of a lot of the ideas, but not the content of the ideas themselves. Wasn't a fan of the meta-storyline. Or the way everyone acted like digital Morpheus was the real Morpheus.

With all the clips from the original film....the entire time, it felt like Wachowski was shoving all this stuff in our faces as if she didn't trust us to notice it or pick up on it ourselves? i.e. All the parallels and nods between the two stories. It often felt like too much, or felt corny; like the entire film was built upon the back of the very first one. Imho a subtler approach would have been more satisfying.

All in all, it seemed like a lot of preamble for a little action. As soon as the film started to really feel like The Matrix, it was over. I smell another two films coming; here's to hoping they pack a little more punch.

I gotta say though that Keanu is a better actor now than he was back then, so I guess there's that lol

The Matrix is one of my all-time favourite franchises, so I'm torn between excitement and sadness. Is this how the original Star Wars fans felt when the prequel trilogy was released? Because now I appreciate their pain. xD

// AI-COM : return [ Virtual . Integrated . Intelligence ] // end of line
[ often multitasking unsuccessfully ] | [ I may take a while to respond, but haven't forgotten you! ♥ ]
qu'est-ce que tu vas chercher?

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/2 22:50:12 )

I had my husband read your write up (cause he watched it while I was studying) and he said I agree.
Lol

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/9 17:28:40 )
    The dialogue in the Matrix felt like what a Boomer believes a Millennial in a professional industry talks like. Because, O-M-G, can you believe that? Totes rad.

I think that with any loved series or franchise, you're going to have to remember that the nostalgia of what you love will rarely be met with the expectations of what is new. I say rarely because I felt that Dune was widely well-received. There are just some fans you aren't going to please.

As a movie on the whole, just taken at face-value, I thought it was fine. There was nothing particularly memorable and I had to look up extra information after viewing so that I could understand what was going on. The expositions in the film were blurted out so quickly and mixed with acronyms so I personally didn't understand. In the end, when Smith changes, I didn't understand. I had to look up to understand that he "vacated" the body he borrowed and wasn't just somehow patched out/purged by the Analyst (Neil Patrick Harris).

For me personally, it was interesting to see the contrast between what was viewed as sleek cyber punk back in the 90s--all that shiny pleather and trenchcoats--versus what is fantasy/cool today. I guess chartreuse, mesh crop-tops and Manic Panic! are what makes you a fantasy character these days.

That being said, I did like the brief glimpses in reflections that didn't match the characters. When I first caught it with Neo, I wasn't really sure if I had seen it and that was enjoyable. The costumes the neo-Morpheus wore were so flamboyant and interesting (especially in the sparring sequence) but I would have appreciated an explanation as to why the new Morpheus and Smith were combined into this new character? Or, as you said, why he was suddenly treated as the original? We get this long-winded and cocky explanation about why the Analyst/N.P. Harris is running the show but then zip on anything else.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.