Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Facebook Pay???

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/7 22:32:38 )
Does anyone have experience with or knowledge of Facebook Pay?

Background = I have a truck posted for sale on Facebook Marketplace (among other places) but I know nothing about this feature (or app?) and I'm so tired of people being sketchy and scammy and weird about making offers that I am highly skeptical of this dude's suggestion to use FB Pay instead of just giving us cash $$. He first wanted to give us a CC /eyeroll/ I told him to get a cash advance from his CC. He came back with this as an option (which raises some red flags for me). He hasn't asked to see the truck or test drive it (which might just be him not wanting to waste his time coming to see it if we won't take his payment options, but it could also be another big red flag)

Obviously, I don't want to open myself up to being scammed, etc., but if it's a viable payment option and a real offer for the truck it would be good to know about.

Do you know of any reason why he'd be pushing to use FB Pay? Are there benefits to him for wanting to go this route? Or are there opportunities for him to be scamming us through this app (or feature)?

Any information or experience?

Other ideas? TIA.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/7 23:45:02 )
update: I'm still interested in learning whether or not anyone has experience dealing with this app/feature but concerning the truck that we have posted for sale, I've told the guy "no" (for a number of reasons - not the least of which is my skepticism concerning his true agenda).

Donator — UWU/ Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/8 00:27:27 )
@Wildfire: its a yes and a no

yes its safe and it has some explanation on site on how to use facebook pay

https://www.merchantmaverick.com/what-is-facebook-pay/

its also a no too

only if you got your facebook account get hacked.

https://www.facebook.com/help/community/question/?id=10212788733767142

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/8 00:52:39 )
my facebook account is secure at the moment, but yes, that's one of my concerns - that this is another way of hacking my identity and finances.

Donator — UWU/ Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/8 00:53:56 )
@Wildfire: i recommend sticking to paypal

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/8 00:55:38 )
@Kairu: and Hi, btw. Thanks for the reply <3

Sticking with paypal is what I was thinking too. So, do you think this is a potential scam (from him) opportunity? Is there some breach in the FB software that he could be trying to access?

Donator — UWU/ Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/8 00:58:02 )
@Wildfire: no not really. if it may.. it is double jeopardy on your end. I do recommend separating link of your social links to your credit card links. its at least a little more secure that way.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/8 01:02:19 )
@Kairu: Yes, that's our current situation - our financials are completely separate from our online accounts, unless it's a legitimate business type situation, and even then, we are wary and tend to keep everything as separate as possible. We guard ourselves as much as is possible while still being functional in this day and age...

It seems like you suspect this guy has some other agenda...??

Donator — UWU/ Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/8 01:05:45 )
@Wildfire: he may yeah

but sticking to what you know is always the safe option. you weren't wrong from trying to do it your way.

paypal fees exist for a reason. fb may have little to no interest but paypal have em for immediate backing u up in case a potential hacking is happening.

you can call it paypal tax xD
月の兎 ☆★☆ 鹿の光
カイル • WISHLIST

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/8 01:15:43 )
ROFL! <3 That is one way of looking at it. Usually, I groan at the % Paypal takes from transaction fees, but at least at this point it's a "known" and they have established some legitimacy. And Paypal doesn't try to integrate with other aspects of your identity (like FB)... which is a recipe for disaster, IMO

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/8 02:55:30 )

@Wildfire: FB Pay payments can be reversed. It’s a red flag that they didn’t want to see the truck. Says my husband who uses FB marketplace. I had him read your post and update.

Voltie — they/them Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/8 03:34:19 )

Idk anything about Facebook Pay, but even if he wasn’t scamming, I wouldn’t make the deal with someone who was making me feel that uncomfortable.

If they’re giving me that bad of vibes online, I definitely don’t want to have to meet up in person.

please @ me if you want a response
art by blinkini

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/8 03:59:42 )
@Totalanimefan: THAT is exactly the kind of thing I was questioning. Not knowing the software, it's hard to know what's possible and I didn't want to jump in, naive... thank you

@decomposer: yeah, exactly. A lot of flags with this one.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/8 04:41:59 )

@Wildfire: no problem. Also my husband works in tech. Haha ^^;

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/8 14:58:41 )
@Totalanimefan: Yeah, so does mine, but it's impossible to stay up to date with every piece of software out there these days. Thanks again.

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/8 21:50:56 )

@Wildfire: Tell me about it haha. And you're welcome :)

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.