Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat I saw the Cherry Blossoms! (With pics)

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/30 21:28:24 )

In DC there are hundreds of Cherry Blossom trees (Sakura in Japanese) giving to us from Japan just over 100 years ago. Yesterday I went to see them with my husband. They were so beautiful. I wish we could have stayed longer but there was a bunch of people and I actually didn't feel that well. Here are some of the pictures I took.
Twitter Link to Pics.

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/30 21:49:01 )

@Totalanimefan: they look beautiful. What a lovely sight. I bet it was nice to walk underneath them!

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/30 22:27:43 )

@sunny: Thanks~ I kinda wish I got more photos but I wasn't feeling that well. My husband and I rented bikes from a bike share (it was only $2!!) and biked from the national mall to the tidal basin (not that far, but probably like 20+ mins by foot) we parked the bikes and took the photos. Then we biked to the water and docked them there. Hung out on the water for a little bit then we went home.

@Nephila: Oh no, that's no fun getting snow when it's spring (even if it is early spring). Hopefully you guys won't get anymore snow after Easter. I'm liking your avatar by the way. ^^

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/30 22:33:06 )

@Totalanimefan: That sounds nice and relaxing tbh. Why couldn't you use your own bikes?

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/30 22:35:21 )

@sunny: I don't live that close to the tidal basin, so I didn't want to get my bikes out of storage and then cycle and lock them back up again. I took the metro to a stop near the mall and then got the bikes and biked the rest of the way. ^^;
I did think about using my own bike but I was like not today haha. Maybe this weekend I'll take my own bike there and back?

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/30 22:38:23 )

@Totalanimefan: oh that makes sense XD it's pretty cool that they had bikes you could rent. They used to have bikes for rent in Nottingham but I think they stopped it because people were stealing them/vandalising them.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/30 22:41:19 )

@sunny: That's awful! I'm not surprised at the same time though. We have a wonderful program/company called Capital Bikeshare and they have hundreds of stations. It's $1 to start and like $1 or $2 dollars for the first 30 mins. https://www.capitalbikeshare.com
I've used them a few times now and each time has been a good experience. The bikes are docked and locked in place until you pay and unlock them in a smartphone app. So I guess that's why they don't get stolen?

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/30 22:47:10 )

@Totalanimefan: oh wow I saw the map, that's a lot of stations! I guess DC is pretty big though. Having an app is a cool idea, in the ones here you just had to insert a coin and they were unlocked. And then people just didn't return them :/
I searched google and apparently they still do have bikes to rent (https://www.citycardcycles.com/). so that's cool. I should do that when lockdown is over. There are only like 8 stations as opposed to the hundreds in DC lol but obviously DC dwarfs Nottingham.

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/30 23:02:27 )

@sunny: And not all of the stations are in DC. There are also stations in the two neighboring states, Virginia and Maryland.
Yeah DC is a little bigger, plus I think this bike share has been around since 2010 or something like that. So it's not like it's brand new. It's been growing for 10 years.

Donator — He/Him Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/30 23:27:08 )
so pretty!

Ping me!

Hangout

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/30 23:33:20 )

@Shark: Thanks they were! I would love to be able to fully experience them next year when we don't have to worry about Rona. I'm thinking about riding the trails this weekend and seeing some of them that way.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/30 23:40:25 )

@Nephila: lol that's a good meme. Sorry that you still have snow! In my region there is a chance for snow in March, but it didn't happen this year. Might reach freezing temps on Friday morning before the sunrise, so we will see.

Donator — She/Crazy Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/31 06:53:59 )

Very pretty! I love to see Cherry Blossoms, but there are not a lot around where I am.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/31 15:48:16 )

@Ava: I wish I could have gotten the whole experience this year. There aren't any gift shops, or parades or festivals this year because of Rona. I want to find a Cherry Blossom Metro Card, but I don't think they are out yet.

@dragoness129: They are so beautiful. I think they are even prettier in person than the photos show. It's amazing to just be surrounded by these trees.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/31 20:00:18 )

@koneko: Those pictures are so beautiful! I want to go and see them like that one year. I heard it's an expensive time to fly to Japan though.
That's cool. Cherry Blossoms + water is a classic combo.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.