Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat ☆Posting Prizes☆ →2021 edition← CLOSED

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/31 17:31:54 )

@totalanimefan: Thank you! ❤️❤️❤️

Asian art? Sounds very interesting! 🙂

As for plants...

I have some plants I took from the wild, meaning I collected them from paths, sidewalks and outside fenced gardens, of which: an oak sapling, a geranium, a couple of ivies, something that looks like a castor bean, a blackberry, a rose, some borage, a nettle, and a few assorted succulents I either found growing wild, rescued from a nearly dead pot that was going to the trash, or collected pieces that had detached from the bigger plants and fallen to the floor at the nearby supermarket 😎

The ones that were bought include a couple of small cacti, a pot of roses, a spruce, and a chrysanthemum. Also a "jar-garden", meaning a few plants in a sealed jar, and a cherry tree 😊

Then there was a net-like bag of beans just laying here, and some of them decided it was time to sprout. So I patiently separated all the ones sprouting and planted them in several containers. I have a forest of beans now 🤣

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/31 17:43:40 )

@Merynia: Yeah they had Hokusai art!
And then there was a room with lots of jade works, then a Buddhist room with art that is based or showing off Buddhism. ^^ ]
Oh and a wood block art room too. And there was a pretty courtyard in the middle.

That's cool. I feel like I would be unlucky and bring the bugs and disease with them lol. I think that's what happened to my mint plant that I killed.
Have you gotten any fruit from your plants? Wow so many beans haha

Have you seen the new event? You should check out the forum. ^^

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/31 18:31:29 )

@totalanimefan: Wow it sounds really interesting and worth to be visited! Is there a website? Maybe there is a virtual tour or something for those who can't visit in person 🙂

Oh no... Maybe you could get some succulents/cacti? They are very resistant and mostly just require a fair amount of sunlight and a bit of water.

I did find some green bugs eating a few of my new plants but I washed them away and also I saw a couple of spiders and a ladybug nearby so hopefuly they ate any remaining bugs 😄

I find that plants from supermarkets are usually on the brink of death, from thirst, overcrowding and handling, and have had some that died, and others that almost died but then recovered.

The ones from the wild were suffering a bit at first but almost all have recovered. I'm still not sure if the blackberry is dying or simply going dormant. Same with the oak sapling... But if feels like Autumn already so the plants may be slightly "confused". I'll wait to see what happens.

Not any fruit yet, I just started this a few weeks ago. Before that we had bought a strawberry plant hoping to get some strawberries, but it died 😐 The cherry tree had a couple of flowers but they fell off, however it seems to be doing well, maybe next year we'll have cherries!

Yes, I separated and planted 48 beans! 😄

Ah yes, I have noticed that the event has already started, yes! I'm delighted with the theme! 😊

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/31 20:16:25 )

@Merynia: Let me see if there is a website. ^^
Website here

I got some hardy plants that were pet safe from a plant pop up in DC. They are doing well so far. :)
Good that your plants are pretty much pest free ^^
When did you get your blackberry plant?

Oh no, poor Strawberry plant. Maybe you will have cherries next year. I think it takes a few years before they bare fruit.

I like the theme too. It seems pretty fitting for you ^^

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/2 07:16:49 )

@totalanimefan: Aww thank you very much for the link ❤️❤️❤️

Great! Yes, need to be careful if you have pets, plenty decorative plants are toxic. Me, I like simple plants, like the ones usually considered weeds, such as nettles, dandelion, mallow, brambles... 😅 They are usually hardy and useful, not requiring special care 🙂

Well I picked up a blackberry (bramble) cutting from the mother plant a few weeks ago, made a clean cut, let it be in water overnight, then planted it in a pot and watered it, hoping it would take root. Its leaves were up and firm for two or three weeks, and then started to fold down, haven't dried, just started drooping. Only after that did I read that they are biennial and the new stems bear fruit in their second year. Some stems had fruit but this was a new one so I'm not sure if it is dying or starting to go dormant 🤔 I'll wait and see. If it dies I'll go back to where I found it (a stretch of wilderness behind some abandoned buildings), dig up a piece of the rooting system and put it in a pot 😊

Yes, cherries will take a few years to appear 🍒

I know, I was really surprised at the theme! 😃

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/2 16:04:06 )

@Merynia: Those are nice ones, except for Nettles they can hurt you lol
What do you do with them? Do you ever make tea from any of them? Or do you just take care of them?

Maybe you can get another cut next year and see how it goes, or maybe take one of the berries and plant it, since they have the seeds in them. Yay for cherries next year. ^^

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/4 20:04:08 )

@totalanimefan: Well the nettles are both good for tea if properly dried or in soups/stews if fresh. They are rich in vitamins and minerals. Yes, they sting but if we use gloves it is safe to handle them, and the handling will end up breaking all the hairs that sting anyway 😊

Mallow can be used as an external antiseptic, boiling it as a tea and using the water after cooling down to clean/wash whatever body part may need to be cleaned. It helps with conjuntivitis, for instance, when used to clean the affected eye.

These days it is best to try to grow herbs in pots rather than harvesting the leaves from the roadside, due to pollutants that may be present.

Today we harvested some of the bigger bean leaves. They are edible 🙂 and into the cooking pot they went, with rice. They are pretty good! 😃

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/5 23:40:44 )

@Merynia: Do you use what you grow in that way? That’s pretty cool. I knew that Nettle could be a tea. It’s semi-popular in England and I lived there for two years.
Yum sounds good. My plants are just house plants. No eating them lol

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/7 10:43:09 )

@totalanimefan: Yes, we use them as needed. And today I had to harvest more bean leaves to let all the plants have access to light. Although I rotate the pots regularly, some of those beans can get trapped under all the foliage 😊

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/7 15:54:41 )

@Merynia: I didn't know that about beans.
I did grow some green beans in middle school. Just over the course of 9 weeks. I harvested them at the end of the course. They were soo good. They tasted fresh and sweet. I wish store bought tasted like that.

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/14 19:13:59 )

@totalanimefan: Oh sorry, I missed the ping 😳

Yes, home grown things always taste better than store bought 🙂

And today we ate bean foliage again! 🤣

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/14 20:36:30 )

@Merynia: Don't worry about it. I do the same thing lol
Yummy that sounds really good. How did you have it?

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/16 06:19:29 )

@totalanimefan: They were just stewed with some other vegetables, like carrot, peas, fava beans... They taste yummy indeed :)

~ I like cats ~

~ Timezone GMT +1 ~

*°•.•°*~ My Wishlist ~*°•.•°*

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.