Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Games Gaming Pc's

Voltie — Moody Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/09/23 12:53:09 )
For all the gamers out there, I am wondering what works best or at least
does an efficent job with barely any lag if any at all.
I do not game very much and I don't really know much about gaming, computers or technology in general. :vanora_sweat:

So I am making this thread and figured it would help me to know what to look for when I get a job and can get a new computer as I know my ASUS notebook is not the best to game on[though it does a pretty okay job minus some lag issues].

I play MMO games such as Blade & Soul, TERA and Revelation online and would like to know computers that work best. Headsets that work best among other gaming technology are also wanted.
[Laptops that best work for art and storage I'd also love].

Donator — they / he Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/09/23 14:58:59 )
I mean, my laptop isn't the best, but it works pretty well. I have an HP Pavilion, but it's about 2 years old? I've used it for TERA, Blade & Soul, and a few other games and haven't had lag issues. Granted I also don't have my graphics up at the highest either (usually the mid settings area) but that's mostly due to habit from my previous laptop which wasn't built to handle any type of gaming... I also use it for digital art.
It mostly depends on your budget as well though, and I find that's usually the most limiting factor in figuring out what PC is right for you.
If I recall your graphics card is the main thing to look at when getting a laptop for gaming, though I could be wrong... It's been a while since I've done my research ^^;

As for headsets, I've used a turtle beach px22 for a while but have recently switched to an antlion modmic and a good pair of headphones. The modmic was $60 when I bought it + the mic/headphone adapter, but if you have a good pair of headphones already I highly recommend it since it will turn literally any pair of headphones into a headset. My friend doesn't seem to have any issues hearing me either, which is always important of course.
My friend uses an old afterglow headset and I don't think they've had any issues with it? I know there haven't been any when gaming with me at least.
Always @ me
DATHIGTwitter

Voltie Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/09/23 20:20:33 )
If you play a lot of MMOs, I would highly advise against an AMD graphics card because they have known issues with Tera, Blade and Soul, and other graphically extensive games. I had one in my old computer and it was a nightmare, and then I read up on it when I was buying parts for my new computer.

There are a lot of great budget builds if you're interested in building your own, but if not, here are a few tips:

1 - Think about whether or not you want to overclock. Overclocking is useless in today's technological world unless you're running a VERY old system and need to get as much juice as possible out of it.

If you're not overclocking, look for processors that don't have a "K" after them. A "K" means the processor is unlocked and you can overclock. You might be able to save some money if it lacks that capability.

2 - When looking at processors, most come with a stock cooler. The cooler is the main fan in your computer, or the liquid cooling system that helps lower the temps.

Since most cases come with fans that help in that, and graphic cards have become so advanced in their capabilities, you don't really need a brand cooler anymore and can stick with the stock cooler to cut costs.

3 - The video card is one of the most important parts for any gaming computer, and I highly recommend a GTX 1060 or 1070. I don't know your budget or anything, but the 10xx series recently released and SHOULD be cheaper than the 9xx series (older models actually get more expensive as their stock is diminished and they stop being made). If not, look for 960 or 970. 950 is a little on the aging side, and 980+ is definitely something you don't need.

For the video card and other parts, don't get too engrossed in brands. EVGA, Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI all offer more or less the same video card, so get whatever's cheapest. If you're looking outside of these big four though, air on the side of caution and professional reviews.

4 - Games these days are having more and more optimization issues, and memory leaks are quite common. You can help compensate for all these issues with 16 gigs of RAM. It won't eliminate the need to shut down the game every once in a while and/or restart, but it will certainly help. You can still manage on 8 if cost is a concern, and you bought a good video card.

5 - SSDs are overrated. I bought one recently after using harddrives for years and... they speed up how fast your computer boots by a lot. You'll load into your desktop instantly. Outside of that, though? I don't think they do much. You also usually need a harddrive for storage, anyway, since SSDs offer very little storage and get crazy expensive as you go up the ladder.

If you do want an SSD though, the Samsung 850 Evo is a great choice for price/performance.

Random stuff - The type of motherboard is very important when starting to build or buy a computer. There's a TON of different models and some may not be compatible with other parts you buy (such as the processor). Don't get too stuck on reviews for them, though, because they all have crap reviews from people who received DOA (Dead on Arrival) pieces or people who messed up in building and blame the motherboard.

Generally, a cheap (50-70$) motherboard is fine, and you're only paying for additional - and entirely useless - features in most cases as you ascend the price ladder.

That was long... and probably entirely unnecessary to post. But hey! If you feel like it helped or if anyone has something to add/debate, feel free. >.>

You can also message me if you need help in this department.

Voltie — Moody Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/09/24 10:36:36 )
@Dowan:Well I doubt I will be building my own computer because I am unable to do that
and honestly it would be a waste of money for me who does not have the intelligence of building one.
Especially when I know nothing about computers, so buying it is my only option.

Also, I currently have no budget, meaning I am unemployed.
So I am not buying this anytime soon.
I am making this thread though so that I know what I should and can look for though in the near future.
But I am sure I will be contacting you when I do buy one because all of this pretty much sounded like gibberish. :vanora_sweat:
But I will keep in mind what you said..even though I don't really understand a lot of it XD

If you need my attention for any reason please ping me.
[My Website]

Voltie Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/09/24 20:52:57 )
@FuucChan: Haha, no worries! I was in your exact boat before I built mine. No knowledge (I wouldn't be able to understand my post either) or funds whatsoever, but you'd be surprised what you can achieve when your back's up against the wall. :vanora_sweat:

That being said, though, you can still get a damn good pre-built comp from a well-known distributor. It's usually a price difference of about a hundred or so. Do you have anyone who could help you with funding at some point?

Also! Computer prices for what you need will constantly be dropping as newer technology is released. You may find it more manageable to buy one when you have the financial ability at a later time.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.