Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Living life, being vulnerable, and Brene Brown

Donator — SIR Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/9 00:20:12 )
❄🌈 ❄ Underlying all our fears is a lack of trust in ourselves! ❄ 🌈

So during my studies I've come across this woman Brene Brown. She is a social scientist who studies some hard topics such as shame and vulnerability. Here is a take away from one of her talks or her Netflix special. I don't quite remember what I was liatening to.

The myth of: I can go it alone!

Someone came up to talk to Brown after one of her presentations and said, "You've convinced me. I'm going to try vulnerability, but I'm going to try it by myself. I'll see how it goes and then I'll try it with other people." The crowd laughs, partly at the absurdity of this declaration, but also, because we recognize ourselves in this.

We live in a culture that admires people who do it on their own. We don't want to ask for help. We don't want to ask for support. It's scary to be vulnerable with others. We could be rejected. Our hearts could break. We don't want to need others, but we do. We're biologically "wired for connection." We need other people for survival. And in addition, Brown states, "In the absence of love and belonging there is suffering."

In the end, vulnerability is scary, but it's better than getting to the end of your life and realizing that you didn't show up or be seen.

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/9 01:04:22 )

I feel like our society forgets that we are creatures that need connections. We can’t always be doing things alone. It’s not good for our mental health or our survival.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — SIR Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/9 04:09:49 )
❄🌈 ❄ Underlying all our fears is a lack of trust in ourselves! ❄ 🌈

@Totalanimefan: I agree so very much. We are a collective people. We yearn for those connections. Sadly, fear and shame and vulnerability keep some of us from being our best selves.

Donator — SIR Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/17 03:13:57 )
🌈 You gotta be bold, you gotta be wiser
You gotta be hard, you gotta be tough, you gotta be stronger
You gotta be cool, you gotta be calm, you gotta stay together
All I know, all I know, love will save the day🌈

@Bioshock: I don't know why I am just now seeing this! I agree 100% asking for help takes practice and is necessary. We are totally social creatures and require others in order to thrive. Otherwise are we even really alive? Sincere apologies for now replying sooner. I feel like a heel.
🌈 Have you ever been touched so gently you had to cry or invited a stranger to come inside?
🌈

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.