Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Is a little peace and quiet really too much to ask?

Voltie — They/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/29 07:11:24 )
I live in an apartment building that shares a yard with some other apartment buildings. I'm guessing we're 30 apartments total, all with porches facing the yard.
I live in the first floor, which means there's a large paved area right beneath my porch.

A lot of the other apartments house families with children, and this is where the trouble begins. The children play outside in the yad and the paved area for up to 8 hours a day.
Now, I am aware that children can't always control their voices and can't help being loud. But the parents just stand there and watch, even when the kids scream their lungs out.
if this was for an hour a day, I wouldn't mind.

But is it too much of me to ask that they tell their kids to stop screaming when the kids scream roughly 8 hours a day?

I'm just saying, my mother has 4 kids and she managed to teach us to be mindful of our surroundings without hindering our sense of freedom.
Again, I'm not saying kids shouldn't be allowed to play and have fun, but I find it very rude that these parents do nothing to teach their kids to be mindful of their surroundings.

Another issue is that a lot of these apartments house dogs. I get it, dogs bark. But if your dog barks for 12 hours straight, is it too much to ask that you don't keep it on the porch? That you try to train that behaviour away or otherwise stimulate your dog so it doesn't get bored and bark for no reason?

I just feel like if people won't even do basic training with their pets/kids, they shouldn't have them.
And I get that when you live in an apartment, you have to tolerate some noise.

What I don't get is the blatant disrespect for other people these people are showing by allowing their kids and dogs to make incessant noise for sometimes up to 12 hours straight.

am I just being a grumpy old man here?

Is a little peace and quiet too much to ask?

Donator — Whatever Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/29 08:14:25 )
Are ya ready, guyz?!

What all you just explained would give me a permanent migraine
I wonder if speaking to the parents/dog owners would do any good, or if they'd flip out some generic excuse and not do anything

Put ya guns awn!

questShop

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/29 09:20:00 )

That sounds difficult. Could you have music playing, put headphone on or get ear plugs? I think that could be a good way to get through this. My neighbors have barking dogs and are loud sometimes and this is how I get through it. Having a fan on also helps and would keep you cool since it's summer.

Voltie — They/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/29 17:34:55 )
@Totalanimefan: I suppose I could, but i just don't think it's fair that I should have to wear earplugs just to be able to tolerate being in my own home during the children and dog's outside hours :/
I've always wanted to lift a large quadraped over my head

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/29 19:22:00 )

@Miika: I understand that for sure. I was just trying to give suggestions. It's like the saying, you can't control other people's actions but you can control your own.
I think the dog barking is a no no, but kids playing? Like it shouldn't be all hours of the day, but kids have a lot of energy and they do need to play to get it out and to grow as a child.
There is always a balance that needs to be found and sometimes it's hard to get to it.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — Any Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/29 23:18:12 )

》::: ✿・`.*
ehhh tbh this sounds kinda icky on ur part
Theyre kids. Let them be kids. Especially with covid, theyve been out of school and full of energy. I get that it might be annoying but that comes with apartments. Dogs bark. Life happens. You cant control others bc youre annoyed
I dont mean to sound harsh but asking people to just stop living their lives bc theyre loud.. is really a pet peeve.
again i dont mean to sound like im attacking you but your vibe is really negative and i think some self reflection would be nice.

*.`・✿ ::: 《

Please ping me!

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/30 13:59:30 )
@miika: i know how u feel id like some peace and quiet too.. i have my niece temporarily and she shouts all day lol my anxiety hates loud noises but shes my niece and shes not 2 yet so cant do much about it xD but yeah older kids that understand should be taught to keep it down when asked to

Donator — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/30 20:38:54 )
For what it's worth,I agree with you. One of my mom's dogs will set there and lick my mom's feet and legs for hours,and the sound drives me crazy. It's not loud,mind you. Just a constant lapping noise. Like,if you're gonna do that,could you at least do it quietly?

Art by the fabulous Inatlaka!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.