Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Grandma has coronavirus

Donator — He/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/25 20:05:32 )

And I live with her... still... because I don't make enough money to live anywhere else. So now even though I don't have any symptoms (we've been trying to keep our distance, despite sharing a house, and sanitizing surfaces), I had to go get tested and can't go back to work until I come up negative. And the place told me it would take "3-5 days" (this is after already having been out of work for 2 days just waiting for the chance to get tested).
I already had to go, come back home empty-handed, and come back again the next day because they refused to test me until she got her positive test result back. Despite us being certain she had it because she was exposed to it directly at work by people who did test positive, and had all the symptoms, just like everyone else at her job.
Meanwhile, I have no symptoms but I'm stuck in the house with someone who does... not that I'd be any less at risk going to work, being surrounded by gross coughing customers who refuse to wear masks. Good thing my state finally decided to make masks mandatory, since my store never did. At least that should be in place by the time I go back.
And thanks to my health problems and medication, I have more to fear from potentially catching this thing than my grandma does. In case y'all are wondering why I'm sitting here fretting about my situation and not over hers. She hasn't been feeling great obviously, but she's always been healthy and her symptoms are comparatively mild. She's working from home, so she's not even losing money over this. Unlike me. I can't bring the grocery store to my house.
All this just serves to really rub it in my face that I'm living somewhere I don't want to be, with someone I don't want to live with, in a situation that could have been so much better if only I could just get out of here. But I can't, I'm stuck here, and now it's not just costing me what little money I make, but potentially a good bit more if I should actually get sick.
And I have never seen her wear a mask. I'm too tired and angry to be scared. I'm just so sick of my life, if you can even call it that.

edit: Oh, and let's not forget that whatever this test ends up costing me, I'll be paying for it myself because insurance in this country is such a joke. On top of now paying 5x what I used to for my regular medication. Nice. Goodbye, money. Not like you were going toward a home of my own, anyway.

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/25 21:31:55 )

@Count Trashula: Wow damn. That's a lot. I would say if you have your own room stay in it as much as you can with the window open as much as you can. Try to keep her in her own room? I don't know how well she listens.
I can't even imagine the stress and anger you are feeling. I would be beside myself. Keep drinks for yourself in the bedroom so that you only have to go out to eat and use the bathroom?
How much does the test cost with and without Insurance?

Donator — He/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/25 21:49:35 )

@Totalanimefan: I stay in my room most of the time anyway, since she kind of takes up the whole rest of the house. Her work from home setup is in the dining room right next to the kitchen, and she tends to linger around there and the living room. I just don't go into the living room at all, so it's pretty much limited to the kitchen (with lots of hand washing of course) and the bathroom (thankfully she has a bathroom in her bedroom so we don't have to share one). The biggest issue with keeping a distance will be the kitchen, really. So far though, no symptoms so maybe that's enough. I have been trying to limit my trips to the kitchen as well.
As for the cost, I honestly have no idea. It varies from place to place, insurance to insurance, facility to facility. I know my current insurance has not had the deductible met, so unless they're required to cover the testing completely without charging me the deductible, I guess I'll find out how much it costs when I get the bill.
thewell.northwell.edu:
According to major insurance carriers' websites, the screening and clinic visit are free, but the lab cost depends on your insurance policy. We did an independent study to verify this and found a wide range of scenarios where the patient was charge $100 by the lab or up to $2300.

So I may or may not be charged and it may or may not be a lot. I still have to contact my work and let them know I got a test done, not sure if they cover anything related to testing or not since the insurance I would be getting through my job doesn't kick in until August. Until then, I'm on a marketplace plan that's eating up over a third of my income every month and not covering anything until I meet the deductible on top of that. Very aggravating.

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/25 22:03:35 )

@Count Trashula: Oh I see. Good thing that you have your own bathroom! I was worried about that part. My house is a one bed/one bath that I share with my husband so I didn't know if you had your own bathroom.
Maybe wear a mask when you go into the kitchen? It's good that you are washing your hands a lot.

You can call them up and ask them I believe? What's the price with my insurance and what's the cash price? I hate how health Insurance in the US. If you are poor you get fucked.

Donator — Any Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/26 01:02:26 )
@Count Trashula:
Oh, this is a lot, I'm so sorry you're going through this.
Living somewhere you don't want to be is very hard and even more now and with your health issues.
I understand you just being tired at this point, is she unreasonable? Could you start a conversation about her wearing a mask?
All in all, I'm hoping you don't have it and that you'll be leave this situation.
Not to make it about me, I've just been there but not in such a situation as this pandemic. It took me very long but now I'm living in my own space my own way. There's some hope. At least, I think so.
Feel free to rant about anything else to me, I'd like to help if I can.

Donator — He/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/28 21:23:24 )

@Totalanimefan: tbh I'm kind of in the mindset of "If they're gonna charge me, they're gonna charge me and calling to find out how much it'll be ahead of time won't change it" ...i guess I'm just burnt out lol it's one thing like this after another

@Pyuukin: tbh she's never been easy to talk to; she takes any suggestion from me as some kind of "disrespect". So I just try to stay out of her way as much as I can. I am glad you've got your own space, though. Hope things are looking up for you!

On the bright side, grandma just got cleared today to go back to work, and I got my test results (negative) today as well, so I am also clear to go back. Just waiting to see what my schedule will be, since the one I had only went up to today.

ALWAYS PING ME

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/28 22:34:18 )

@Count Trashula: No, that's totally understandable. :( -hugs-

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.