Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts Chat with me while I write?

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/3 21:13:46 )

@Nephila: Five isn't really a lot. When you're sending stories out for sub (submission) it's common to send dozens at once, and sometimes the same story to different magazines. I send them to sci-fi and fantasy magazines, like ClarkesWorld, Fantasy & Science Fiction magazine, Asimov's Science Fiction, Lightspeed, etc. There are A LOT.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/3 23:32:23 )

@Nephila: Yeah unfortunately a lot of them are exclusively online. A lot of the newer magazines run that way. Idk if any of them actually produce paper copies anymore tbh.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/4 00:14:06 )

@Nephila: It makes it easier tbh, everything is automated except the actual picking of which stories to publish. I prefer submitting to digital zines anyway. & thanks for the offer, that's sweet of you to offer!

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/4 08:33:38 )
════════════════ ∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘

@sunny: how's your writing going ^^
are you doing camp nano?
i hope one of ur stories gets accepted soon :-)

∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘ ════════════════

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/4 22:38:58 )

@xvz: It's going well thanks, although I'm taking a break today. I never do NaNo lol I cannot handle the stress of it lmao. Do you write? Thank you!!

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/5 02:17:29 )

@sunny: your current avi is so cute omg

breaks are good!! gotta sharpen that saw
i've never done nanowrimo but i was thinking of attempting it this year :0
i have a, shoot for the moon land in the stars mindset about it - it's ok if i don't finish or it ends up being short, or it evolves into something experimental, etc.
it's just for fun and maybe learning !

i've written fiction and poetry in the past, i've never tried something novel / novella sized but want to ^^

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/5 20:55:13 )

@xvz: oh thank you!
Yess breaks are good but I'm back on it today!
NaNo can be good for some writers, very good. It can act as a decent motivator. I know someone in your position who had never written longform before and decided to give it a go for NaNo one year on my urging, and now (like ten years later) she's getting her book published so it definitely can work.
What kind of genre do you like to write?

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/7 21:43:21 )

@sunny: yay nice, so disciplined :-)
what do you usually write with? / do you have a typical process?

oh wow! that's impressive
hmm i think my favorite genre is magic realism or surrealist fantasy - i like the element of not knowing for sure whether something that happened was real or not
i would love to read something you've written if you post or share your pieces anywhere :-)

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/7 21:51:08 )

@xvz: I use Google Docs to write, I find it easier than Word. I don't have Word lol. I don't have much of a process, though I do have Spotify playlists for each of my projects, and particular songs I like to listen to while I'm writing. I also play a lot of rain sounds, just for some background noise.

Oh I love Magic Realism!!!! So much. It's such a cool genre. So fun to write/read. I love Spec Fic in general tbh. I find it really opens up a story and gives you more avenues to go down/explore.

I highly doubt I will post my stuff online (lol) but that's really sweet of you to say, thank you! <3

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/7 22:04:04 )

@sunny: yeah i don't have word either lol :-( i used to use libreoffice (it's free/open source word) before google docs became a regular thing
the spotify playlist thing is such a cool idea!! i would love to try that sometime!
i used to work to asoftmurmur for background noise too

yes!! i'm reading iq84 by murakami rn - honestly bc i didn't think i'll ever finish it lol
speculative fiction in general is my favorite <3 have you read anything by carmen maria machado (her body and other parties) or alyssa wong? you might like their writing :-)
i'm always down for recs too if you have any favorites you feel inclined to share!

haha no pressure! i know there's a whole song and dance too for getting published so it makes sense why people wouldn't post online

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/8 20:26:42 )

@xvz: I listen to MyNoise a lot in the background, I play it at the same time as my Spotify playlists for extra atmosphere, I especially like https://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/thunderNoiseGenerator.php.

I've really tried to like Murakami's writing style but tbh I find it really inaccessible and... annoying? Idk! I'm not a big fan. I haven't read either of those authors, but I will definitely be checking them out! As for recs, have you read anything by David Mitchell? He's my favourite author bar none, I especially love Cloud Atlas, I've read it at least a hundred times! It's so nice to meet another fan of spec fic, I feel that it doesn't get enough attention tbh.

I guess I'm just not one of those writers that has a desire to share my stuff with others. Like, I write mostly for myself. I submit to short story magazines because I sometimes crave the validation but as for sharing my novel with others... the thought gives me goosebumps tbh. Idk. Maybe that's something I have to work on lmao.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/8 20:40:26 )

@Nephila: I'm doing good thanks, went for a nice walk in the woods with my dog and now I'm working on my novel again. How are you?

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/8 20:54:44 )

@Nephila: Was it a job interview? Good luck if so!!! 1000 volts a day is a lot tbh, I make 100 if I'm lucky. You'll have to do a lot of chatting to reach that goal! What kind of art do you do?

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/9 21:17:40 )

@Nephila: Good luck with your next interview then! I know how nerve wracking they can be :O

What's your comic about?

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/9 22:54:50 )

@sunny: oo that's very relaxing thanks for sharing!
having a writing prep routine (like playing specific music/sounds) helps so much too, both for focus+atmosphere but also i feel like it conditions your brain lol, like it hears the sounds and it's easier to snap into writing or working mode :3

oh interesting! something i think abt w his writing is that it's been translated, so i usually focus on the paragraph/plot level than on the individual sentence style. i haven't read much of his other fiction, but i feel like the writing / plot shape isn't like roller-coaster-y but is more level? (not sure if this description makes sense) - it's great for like subway reading, like no single sentence/paragraph is too intense or attention-demanding. but i can definitely see how it might not appeal to everyone!

i haven't read cloud atlas but i'll check it out!! are you being literal when you say you've read it at least a hundred times ..... :0
spec fic is the best!! ^^ i think talking to you about it is inspiring me to start writing more :-) i was looking into spec fic writing groups the other day haha

i definitely feel you! i think a lot of art/writing that i do, i don't feel like i need to share with anyone and it's mainly for my own enjoyment. i think sharing and getting feedback is the best way to improve, but trying to improve as fast as i can isn't always the goal, sometimes the point is just because it's fun and i like it! it's impressive that you have a whole ass novel though lol i hope someone will get to read it sometime if you ever feel like it :-)

⠀∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽⠀ {⠀art shop⠀·⠀gallery⠀·⠀closet⠀}⠀☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘

∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽⠀ {⠀buying / questing: capricorn ⠀}⠀☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘

art by kiwi and koneko <3

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.