Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat I just had my first real visit to the hospital.

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/1 02:31:52 )
Hypertension. What a thing.

So since I got diagnosed, I had to go to this new midwifery twice a week to monitor my blood pressure and a few other things. The first three visits I had, I was reading normal. My last visit, on Monday, was a bit high. Todays visit it was so high they sent me next door to the hospital so I could get quicker test results. It was speculated that I might have to stay the night, that I might need a steroid shot to get my baby ready to be delivered tree weeks early, and that I might need medication for the blood pressure until the labor was induced.

That was a lot to take in, and they sent me over right away. I was and am still pretty nervous about the whole thing. Good news is they so far are not inducing me, and I didn't have to stay the night. I was hooked up to machines for about three hours, got my blood drawn (which I'm used to) and got the first of two steroid shots. I'll have to go back tomorrow, but at least I get to stay at home tonight.

I'm pretty scared because three weeks seemed like too little time to prepare for my Chance to be here, but now it may be even sooner. I'm about to have a baby and I have no idea what I'm doing lol. Not to mention induction sounds a bit scary, as does C-section (which is more likely with induction). I also planned on having a natural birth, so I'll be feeling the whole dang thang. Ugh, wish me luck guys.

Donator — Divine Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/1 03:11:04 )

@glume: I was induced because they said I had high blood pressure. The induced pill didn't work so I had a c section. Hope all goes well! Sending you lots of love! You can do this!

°<°art by Keturah🖤🦖🖤

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/1 03:18:12 )
@inatlaka: What did they do for your pain during the cesarean? My friends mother had to be completely knocked out, but my midwife says they usually do an injection to numb you from the waist down... both options sound so scary to me. I haven't even had a broken bone before so I'm a bit weary of hospitals and procedures....

Donator — Female Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/1 05:42:42 )

@Glume: I'm not a mom, but from what I've heard... epidurals are your best bloody friend. Lol.
It's, as far as I'm aware, basically a mild paralytic from the waist or so down.
And yes, I think they use them in c-sections when Mom's awake.

Also, high BP while preggo? Geez.
I can completely understand why they want to induce you potentially. Pre/Eclampsia is NOT a fun thing to deal with.

♫Born of graves and left below ♪ Painted ashes, painted snow♫
My Youtube. I upload Tuesdays

Ping me. always
ALWAYS looking for art of my Characters
If you do art, PM me

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/1 09:17:45 )
@Amber Lynne: I know a few women who have permanent back problems from poorly done epidurals. I already have back problems from being needlessly tall lol. I'm also the girl who never takes pain medication, even for chronic migraines. I'm really hopeful that I can just take the pain. Having a catheter shoved in my spine and left there for my entire labor sounds somehow worse than the pain. For the cesarean, I'm told its *similar* but its a one and done thing, they don't leave it in you. My mother had to get an epidural twice because the first one just didn't work. Thats twice the risk. Super scary. But who knows what they'll talk me into when I'm in that headspace.

Donator — PomePome Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/1 13:42:33 )
@Glume: good luck honey! You will make it through and dont worry too much just think about your pretty Baby! :D *holds hands imaginary* if i can do you can as well *nods*

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/1 13:52:49 )
@Miss Sandman: Aw, thanks dear. I dreamt about having her last night, and things must have went well because I was super happy.

Voltie — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/1 14:08:11 )
My condolences on the need for a visit to the hospital, but at least its something managable and not uncommon. Congratulations on your joy coming however and of course best wishes along the way!

You have more just my little admiration for your pain tolerance. I like to think I am pretty good about being tolerant, but I have limits. I hope things turn out as well as your dream had!

Have a good day!

Donator — PomePome Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/1 16:20:06 )
@Glume: you will be Happy :) je you want or need to Talk about this Theme just writhe me dear, post partum is hard :0
~Pls Ping me~
Nothing fancy to see here!!!

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/1 18:01:52 )
You guys are so supportive. I'm so lucky to have found Voltra, it kept me from going crazy quite a few times

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/1 18:46:24 )
Hi glume I went through something similar.. it does seem scary especially when it's your first baby it was the same for me.. being induced isn't so bad.. nor is the C-section.. I was always petrified at the thought of surgery but I never felt a thing .. If I can do it so can you :) .. it will all be over in no time and it's all worth it when u see you're wee bundle of joy

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/1 18:49:00 )
And also if I had a chance to have another baby I would deffo not get the epidural again .. my back hasn't been the same since ..

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/1 20:24:20 )
@LilMissKushy: Epidurals sound shady, thanks for confirming that for me! I already suffer from back pain and I couldn't be lugging around a tiny human if I hurt any worse. I'll just have to work on screaming no at doctors lol. I'm metal, so that should be easy XD

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/1 22:21:25 )

Induction isnt overly bad, or that scary, initially yes, but once you begin, it all kinda goes from there. It is fairly painful in terms of contractions, I've been told by others who have both had natural and induction that the induction contractions were much worse than natural. (I was induced for my daughter and had epidural, along side I think it was fentanyl for pain management? Foggy times for that entire like week from going in and to leaving the hospital)
In terms of epidural, yes, here is a good risk of having issues after the fact, a lot of times it depends on who you have for the doctor administrating it/epidural. Some are really good and know what they're doing, others not so much. Mine told me to tell them when the contractions settled, and when he was doing it, the contractions where not stopping, it was a constant flow of ouch and tension, however he did manage to pull off putting the epidural in properly. I was really thankful. (And who knows, I might actually have back issues, but I've got enough issues all around I dont think I'd notice even if I did LOL)

Long story short, research and follow your gut if you're worried. (Added fact, I've got hypotension! Essentially the opposite of what you deal with. I have incredibly low blood pressure naturally, most doctors and nurses are terrified when they see my numbers and ask if I'm okay. "Oh no, that's normal, I'm fine" with a "oh, welp" in response)
im a space cadet who's lazy with typing 90% of the time
pls ping me

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/2 01:02:16 )
@Glume: yeah it's such a weird sensation getting the epidural as well I didn't like it.. some people who don't get the epidural would sometimes take gas and air or an injection in the buttcheek xD if you already suffer back pains it probably wouldn't be a good idea to get it.. I got contractions in the Base of my back was weird not what I expected lol yeah they can't make u do something you don't want to.. you'll do just fine :D

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/2 02:27:49 )
My follow up appointment was the worst. This is why I wanted to give birth at a midwifery. I spent all night and all of today collecting a jug full of urine for them. I watch the doc put a label on the jug, and send it off. Then I watch her tell a nurse she has the wrong labels. Forty five minutes of testing later she lies to me about how they can't use my sample because "the label fell off" rather than admitting her mistake. Then they make me give more blood and wait another hour for those test results. We had to just leave without the results because it was taking so long and they just assured us it was because they were making sure I got the best care possible. Lying doctors are absolutely not the best care possible. I'm so upset.
EDITED to add that she also didn't even numb me for my steroid shot this time so it hurt quite a bit.
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.