Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Literature Stephen King

Voltie — alien Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/09/17 23:22:36 )
Locked due to 6+months of inactivity in the thread. If you would like this thread unlocked, please PM a mod.

So, after seeing the remake of IT, I decided to once again try and read the novel. I tried several times as a teenager, but I really hated his writing.. Found it dull and rambling and literally could not get through one damn chapter. However, now, at the age of 23, I've found that I am enjoying this book a ton. I'm already three hundred pages into it and I can't stop reading.

Has anyone else had this happen to them, whether it be with Stephen King or another author?
I mean, I know tastes change, but I'm just a little amazed that it's coming so easily for me now. I'm really relieved, because I thought it might be an issue with me, since everyone praises his work so heavily.

Please @ me to get my attention. C:

Donator Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/09/19 09:20:37 )
Stephen King is a really good writer :) he's pretty cool because like you said, you get a different experience reading his stuff depending on how old you are. I loved reading his books as a kid but now I love them for a whole different bunch of reasons. He's pretty good at shifting his register towards adults without totally isolating younger readers.

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Voltie Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/09/22 07:04:36 )
Literally my experience with King. I could NOT get into him at all as a teenager because he was too wordy and it all felt unnecessary, but I read IT last year and looooove it. If you need to talk about that book, I AM HERE FOR YOU.

Voltie — they/them Posted 6 years ago ( 2017/11/6 03:24:04 )
I feel the same way you did about Stephen King when you were younger, only I never grew out of it.
I've tried reading so many of his books thinking it may change my opinion, since so many people seem to love him, but naw.
I just can't get into it.

I haven't re-read many other authors that I once hated reading, so I'm not sure how I'd feel about them today.

please @ me if you want a response
art by blinkini

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/5 09:57:53 )
I've read the first few books in his Dark Tower series and really enjoyed them, although I've also read a collection of his short stories and very much disliked several of those stories.

I'd like to give IT a try because I loved the new movie.

Donator — Female Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/6 03:51:20 )

@Sheree: The first bit of the dark tower series if freaking win.
I haven't read many though, 4 or 5 I think? And that was years ago.
They just started to get really weak, I found =(

Also, don't shoot me but I prefer Dean Koontz over Stephen King.

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/6 09:23:15 )
@Lady Luna: I've never read Dean Koontz, but I've heard good things! What would you recommend for a starting point for reading his books?

Donator — Female Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/6 19:29:44 )

@Sheree: Good question. Lol. I haven't read anything of his for years, buuuttt
iirc, Sole Survivor is a pretty good one.
I gotta go through my Mum's books and seew hat she has, because I know I read like all of hers.
XD

My Youtube. I upload Tuesdays

Ping me. always
ALWAYS looking for art of my Characters
If you do art, PM me

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/7 04:15:15 )
@Lady Luna:
Sweet! I'll add that one to my to-be-read list. Thanks!

Voltie — they/them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/06/16 15:38:32 )
my story is going to be a little backwards, as i Loved King as a teen and i feel he was one of the most influential when it comes to my own writing style. I absolutely adored his way of writing, found the gimmicks he put to use to be very clever and refreshing. I think "the stand" was my favourite book of his, but i also loved classics such as and carrie, the shining or misery.
However, i think i was around 20 when my love for his work withered. What actually did it was 11.22.63, which i dont think is a very well known novel of his and even though the plot was interesting enough to keep me going, what happened is i had this sudden epiphany.
I felt that he wasn't writing for me. And obviously he doesn't even know me, so there was no way he was thinking specifically at me when writing or anything. What i felt was completely disconnected from his world perspective, beliefs and ideas. His character types no longer resonated with me, and I know it might have just been that particular novel, but I felt like i wasn't enjoying his writing anymore.
I have yet to open up another Stephen King novel, but I think at some point i definitely will.
tumblr.
literally always ping me

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/6 01:23:48 )
Stephen King is very hit or miss for me, but when he hits, I love him.

I guess I would say I do think he's overrated, but I envy his success.

I'm a big fan of Misery, both the book and film.

I love the 90s miniseries of IT but I did not love the new movie. I mean, it was enjoyable. But it was more funny than scary. In the theater I was in, everyone kept laughing the whole time. I thought it was hilarious. But the 90s version with Tim Curry, I can't even watch in broad daylight by myself.

There was a Netflix film of something he wrote that was a big hit in the early summer, but I hated it. A husband and wife get kinky and he handcuffs her to the bed, then dies of a heart attack and she can't reach the keys. But she pretends he's really there and talking her through survival. I found it very frustrating and annoying. I also felt that way about A Good Marriage, but it was a better movie.

Loved The Langoliers movie but I think most people do not. Hated Rose Red (is that what it's called)?

Love, love, love the TV series Haven, but hated the book, which is called The Colorado Kid.

I read 11/22/63 and watched the TV miniseries and I loved both so much. I just adore James Franco, for whatever reason, and he was so good in that show. Some things in the show worked a lot better than the book, but there were things I liked better in the book as well.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.