Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Panic Attacks

Voltie — They/Them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/04/24 16:45:38 )
There's something foul about the air here...

I have anxiety, which comes with panic attacks. What really sucks is that I also have epilepsy (not photosensitive, mine is triggered by a lack osfsleep). When I have panic attacks I feel like I'm having a seizure and it's one of if not the most terrifying things I've experienced outside of going to the er one time after a seizure
After panic attacks like that I can't talk/focus well, I have a migraine, and generally am still scared even though I know it was only a panic attack

Now that the setup's done, how do you handle panic attacks? What do experience when you have them?

...ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/04/24 16:55:54 )

@grost:
Aw I'm so sorry this is happening to you. About a year ago I was suffering with constant panic attacks which lasted for months. I even went to the hospital with it. I didn't eat for weeks. The only thing that worked was distracting myself. So, reciting random lists in my head, like listing all the US states in alphabetical order etc. I also liked rain sounds, there are several playlists on Spotify and it's so relaxing. In the end I tried a new medication which really worked for me, I am 99% better now I'm on these meds.

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Donator — SIR Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/04/24 18:37:21 )
@grost: I have had anxiety for over a decade now. it gets much better in time. i have learned new coping skills, grounding, breathing etc. but i also have panic attacks. those are different. i was once house bound for over 2 years because of acute agoraphobia. but with help and treatment i overcame most of it. back on subject, i recently, or in the past few years have come to realize i have seizures at times. mine are brought on by stress and lack of sleep. i do not shake, nor do i have symptoms of grand mal type seizures. i simply go catatonic, black out, and then wake up. sometimes i fall, sometimes i don't. but i wake up with total confusion, headache, brainache, no real concept of date nor time, and chunk of memory gone. i do my best to keep my family and friends educated. try and notice any warning signs, any indicator that something isn't quite right. and sometimes that is all i can do or say.....something isn't quite right. I'd suggest grounding work, breathing exercises, and coping skills. planning on what to do if you feel one coming on, and what to do when you come to after an attack or seizure. and keep your circle informed no matter its size. you need the support. we all do. if you'd like additional information i do not mind sharing resources.
🌈 Have you ever been touched so gently you had to cry or invited a stranger to come inside?
🌈

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.