Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat I got an interview tomorrow

Donator — He/They Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/4 18:20:26 )

After 6 months without work, most of which has been spent in and out of the doctor's office, I finally got a call. Job would only be temporary, but at least it will give me something "in the meantime" while I look for other work, try to get moved out, etc. There is no job security, no benefits, and it won't pay enough to put food on the table... but it's a job, and not a moment too soon, as I'm quickly running out of savings. Hopefully I can land this one and find something more stable in the meantime.
But hooray, one small step. Plus since it's a Halloween store, I get to be around spooky stuff and help customers put together outfits. ...If they hire me, that is. I won't count my chickens before they hatch. But I'm hopeful, at least.

Voltie — Overlord Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/4 18:23:14 )

Oh! Exciting! I hope you land the job! Something is certainly better than nothing.

Donator — He/They Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/4 18:27:01 )

@AshTheAlien: Exactly. And this at least looks fun. Much as I need money, I also need to watch my stress for health reasons, so a smaller store with a theme I like seemed like a good idea.

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/4 18:28:10 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

I wish even temporary, small positions paid a livable wage, and that medical problems didn’t drain our money. )’:
But I’m glad you found something, and it’s at a Halloween store! I’ve always wanted to work at one, but I always miss the application period. :D Good luck at your interview~

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Voltie — Overlord Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/4 18:30:33 )

Your health is always more important than money

Voltie — Overlord Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/4 18:50:24 )

I am hoping to start subbing an doing aftercare this week. I sure hope my background check comes back clean

Donator — He/They Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/4 18:53:32 )

@Tsundererra: I thought for sure I'd missed the window, but I saw they had posted a position only a few days ago, so I went ahead and applied. I guess they still need people even after the initial setup phase. And I completely agree about the other stuff. Life has been a very bumpy and tiring road. I hope whatever comes of the next election sees at least some improvement. More and more places are raising their wages, so that's a good sign.

@AshTheAlien: aye, too bad govt and employers don't tend to see it that way. But we do what we can.

@koneko: That sounds nice, though. I wanted to do something like that in my "downtime", but problems ended up being worse than I realized and by the time I was ready to get back out there, I felt like I needed to make getting paid a priority. But maybe once I do get a job--this one or otherwise--I'll have an easier time scheduling things and see what volunteer opportunities are out there. You're lucky to have a cast rescue nearby! Not that I don't love dogs, but I'm a cat person and this city is dogsville. There is a cat cafe nearby and I'd kill to work there, but they're only hiring management and don't have volunteer positions. I doubt the people who do work there will be leaving any time soon to give me an opening, not that I blame them lol.
Halloween stores are great, though. I applied here because not only do I love Halloween, but I figured a temporary position would be easier to get into since they need to fill positions very quickly and take people with less experience. One benefit of temporary jobs, I guess, is they're not hard to come by.

and thanks everybody. Fingers crossed!
gonna be a heck of a time getting up so early; good thing I couldn't sleep last night. Maybe I'll be tired enough to go to bed :Y

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/4 19:06:06 )

Good luck. I hope you get the job.

Voltie — Overlord Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/4 19:10:23 )

For sure. You aren't able to get on disability? Have you looked into it?

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/4 19:11:37 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@Uncledaddy: Whoa, you made the right decision to apply then. I’ll check to see if there are any recent job postings near me, because I still want to work at one. xD
And seriously, our health care system just has to reboot, and I hope we end up with a president progressive enough to carry out those changes. Not long ago, I read an article about a guy who’s selling the world’s best collection of X-men comics to help pay for his cancer treatments. We shouldn’t have to sacrifice everything just to want to be healthy and live. ):

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/4 21:26:37 )

I’m very happy that you were able to get this. Were you unable to get unemployment?

Donator — He/They Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/4 21:38:48 )

@vengeance: thanks, i hope so too.

@AshTheAlien: I've looked into it, but even so my condition can qualify, my symptoms aren't "bad enough". I could potentially fight it if I had a disability lawyer, but that takes time and money I don't have, especially with no guarantee of getting approved. Never mind the stress involved. I actually tried this once before after I first got diagnosed (was in hospital for 2 weeks and having a lot of issues for years surrounding that) and it got repeatedly denied. Got a court date, didn't have a lawyer, brought a file with my doctor's notes which was ignored, got told that as long as I can move my arms and legs, I can work, left in tears feeling like an idiot for trying. So I'm a little wary of trying again either way tbh...

@Tsundererra: Yeah, jeez. Our healthcare is in such a sorry state. Hopefully it changes for the better. But get on them Halloween stores while they're still open!
I bet working at a haunted house or something would be even more fun, but I might be too shy for that one... maybe next year.

@Bioshock: thanks. I was starting to worry they wouldn't call, but considering the long weekend, it hasn't been as long as I thought since I applied.

@koneko: I've thought about that tbh, maybe next time I find myself alone in there I'll try to strike up conversation with the "cat wrangler" lol

@Totalanimefan: aye, after several previous failed applications, I'm glad somebody called me back. I have looked into disability, but they have very specific (and if you ask me, very extreme) requirements for my condition which I don't meet. So I'd still be deemed able to work, even if my ability to do my job duties was diminished. I don't believe I could go back to my previous job, but I think I'm well enough to do something a little less physically demanding. So rather than go without work for several more months trying to battle it out and paying a disability lawyer, I'm just gonna do whatever work I can for now and hope things get better instead of worse. I'm on a new medication as of very recently, so it hasn't really had time to kick in yet, but if it works out, I should be fine at least for the next few years.

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/4 21:40:23 )

@Uncledaddy: I’m sorry that you are going through such a hard time. I hope this job turns things around for you.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie — Overlord Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/4 21:42:26 )

That is horrible :C

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/4 21:43:51 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@Uncledaddy: I worked at a haunted house when I was like 18 and 19, and I was a zombie in a trampoline cage my first time, and an alien chasing people through a corn maze the second time. xD Wish I had the stamina to do it now, but I would probably help out with the make up/blood now. You should try to work at one at least once in your life. There are lots of behind the scenes stuff to do to help out too. ^^

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Donator — He/They Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/4 21:45:56 )

@Totalanimefan: thank you. It's been especially rough, not gonna lie. Not much else to do but to just keep going. I wasn't really comfortable applying to temp jobs because I need an income in order to move out, but having any job at all will make it easier to find another one down the road, so if these are easier to get, I'm goin' for it.

@AshTheAlien: It is. Wish I'd had some kind of support to know what the hell I was doing back then; things might have gone differently. But it is what it is. My top priority now is moving, which should help me get on my feet a little better. Then maybe I can tackle this stuff from a better angle.

@Tsundererra: That sounds great, especially behind the scenes stuff. Part of me always wanted to make Halloween decorations and props for a living, or be a scene setter or something. Turns out that's a lot easier said than done...

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/4 21:50:58 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@Uncledaddy: It definitely takes a lot of work making some of the items, but you can learn from the pros of a haunted house attraction. One of the guys who made a lot of our stuff learned welding and woodwork, and he even makes stuff for his LARPing crew. And a lot of the finished props need to be assembled, painted, and positioned, so you can def help out with that to start~

( ) DERE DERE DERE

The truth behind Reaping Ritual 2019

Art by the rightful Mayor, Kiwi

Donator — He/They Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/4 21:52:52 )

@Tsundererra: I need to find a way to look into this. It's hard to even know where to start without having the right words to search for it, you know?

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/4 21:53:47 )

I feel you on not being able to do certain work. I cannot do physical hard/heavy work because it turns out my back isn't strong enough for that. However I get rejected for all not physical hard work I apply for.

Donator — He/They Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/4 22:00:15 )

@vengeance: Yeah, this is exactly the problem. Low-tier retail and physical labor jobs are all I have, so it's all I'm really qualified for. If you don't have a ton of experience, the less physical jobs will turn you down. People keep saying "just go to school and get a skill" but that takes time and money, too, and I still would have to work in the meantime. What's your previous work like?

AKA Count Trashula

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.