Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free
Donator — She Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/1 22:21:00 )
University starts in under a month. D= I am taking chemistry and it's hitting me how little I know about it. Ther's so much I'm going to struggle with and I'm mentally freaking out, even though I am excited to go back to school, this one class is the one that I know will challenge me the most and I can't help but feel like crying over it.

Is there any advice anyone can give about taking uni chemistry?

Donator — FluffyBoi Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/1 23:16:14 )
Like he said, it's all about focusing on what you have to do. Numbers aren't my thing, or science in general, but I always did my best to focus on whatever I needed to do to at least get semi good grades for it.
Lucifer's Pet

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/2 00:51:44 )
When I had classes that were hard, I always sat in front and took notes. I made sure to know a couple of people in that class as well.
Don't worry about not knowing a lot about Chemistry - that's what classes are for!

Donator — She Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/2 01:53:26 )
@LordLucre: Oh trust me, I have all the focus and motivation i need. I have just literally never taken a chemistry class before in my life.

@Bioshock: Yeah. I plan on taking full advantage. But since I also have horrible ADHD through the disabilities office I can register for a volunteer student note taker and being able to record lectures so I don't miss anything.

@Ixora: Yeah... But they are far more hardcore about school here. And being homeschooled I have no idea how to deal with people IRL. So I tend to like, be hesitant to talk to people I don't know.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/2 02:00:11 )
@Scribartz: I sat in front a lot cause my attention span is horrible. If I sat in the back, I'd be on my phone in minutes.
the knowing ppl in class is just cause i skipped class a lot ehe model student here
It is good to know some people to trade notes with and ask questions about.
You don't know anyone taking the same class? D:

Donator — She Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/2 02:02:59 )
@Ixora: xD Bad Ixora! Be a good student! LOL
And nope. I'm in university in a city I didn't grow up in. I don't know anybody. I have no friends up here.
I just moved here with my family last year, so if I did know somebody, it'd be a heckin miracle and I'd dance
around a fire with all the people! xDDD I don't mean that sarcastically either. I'm genuine in that statement.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/2 02:05:18 )
@Scribartz: Too late for me to be a good student. I already finished my degree
I mean... you could start up that dance around the fire party cause I bet people would be into that :D

Donator — She Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/2 02:06:58 )
@Ixora: LMAO! Oh boy, I really missed the mark on that one. OxO
I don't really party. Lol. To be honest my idea of a party is getting together with friends, having some edibles and reading or playing games. But never have I ever enjoyed an actual party. Or clubbing. I like small intimate gatherings with my fellow socially awkward nerds. <3

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/2 02:23:17 )
@Scribartz: I might start studying again this fall so... maybe... I try to be good student now.
I mean, that is party also. Party is broad word XD

Donator — She Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/2 02:24:48 )
@Ixora: Do iiit! Students being good mean successful lives woohoo! xD
I guess it is. Maybe this fall I will make enough friends to have a bonfire or a birthday gathering.
I haven't had a birthday party with friends in so long... T-T

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/2 02:40:04 )
@Scribartz: Lmao. I haven't even applied yet for the fall term I am gonna today tho
Ooooh same. My birthday is coming up too but I don't have any plans.
What do you usually do on your birthday then?

Donator — She Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/2 02:46:51 )
@Ixora: Honey, you better hurry. xD Takes colleges forever to respond up here. I applied for the spring term and just got approved and am registered for fall in the middle of summer term. But that's just my uni. Yours could be better. Lol.
I usually do nothing. My mom usually buys me a cake but since I'm gluten intolerant [just found out recently] it's harder to do that now.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/2 02:53:22 )
@Scribartz: I'm applying in Toronto I couldn't really apply yet cause it took some time for my transcript to get released and I need that for applying
Oh. Same. I'm just looking forward to eating a bunch of sweets....
I mean, there is still... ice cream :D

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/2 03:09:55 )
here’s some lengthy advice ALFKDFJ I hope it’ll make your chem experience less intimidating

• Always take notes in class. The way that worked best for me was to... scribble out everything that I found important. Didn't worry about how it looked. After class, I'd go back to my shitty notes and rewrite them nicely, which is helpful because 1) you'll have notes that are actually legible when you go back to review them, and 2) the act of rewriting helps you remember it.
  • Make summary pages (or "cheatsheets"). Ask yourself "If I was given a 1 page cheatsheet to use for the exam, what would I put on it?" Making the cheatsheet forces you to engage the material in a different way - instead of copying down facts, you need to summarize, rearrange, and condense the information in a way that makes sense to you. It's important that you limit yourself to only a small space (otherwise you might just copy everything).
  • Record lectures if you can. Rewinding and listening to it again can clear up a lot of questions you may have the first time.

It's nice to understand the concepts, but it's more important to know how to apply them to a problem (or exam question). Always do practice problems!! Whether assigned by your professor or you found them in a textbook or online, this is of #1 importance in chem courses.
  • Read the question multiple times, and underline key information.
  • If you're lost, start by writing down the "knowns" and "unknowns". Try drawing a picture.
  • Attempt every question before asking for help.
  • If the first way you go about it doesn't work, try looking at it from another angle. Don't work yourself into a corner by narrowing your view on one specific method.
  • Always write your solutions on paper, and keep it. Even if what you write is wrong or unfinished, it can help you remember for next time how to do it right. When you get the solution (from a professor, a friend, the internet, etc.) use a red pen to correct yourself. Write down all the work that was required to get there.

Definitely get a tutor if you can. Some universities offer free tutoring services too. But if you can't, there's a lot of ways that you can help yourself without spending a dollar.
  • Go to your professor's office hours. You can ask them questions about a topic covered in class, or about a practice problem you're struggling with. Even if you don't have a specific question, go anyway. Listening to the questions that other students ask can be equally as helpful.
  • If your university has Teaching Assistants, ask them for help. If you didn't understand what your professor went over, maybe you need it to be explained in a different way. Some TAs are better than others, don't be afraid to go around and figure out who's best (even if they aren't your assigned TA).
  • Upperclassmen can give you highly specific tips about how to survive that class or that professor. Ask them for their old exams so you can study off of them. (I'd advise against studying off of their notes tho.) You can meet upperclassmen in your major by joining student organizations/clubs. So if you're a chemistry major, join the chem club. Or if you're interested in x career, join a club for students interested in that career. Even if you join a totally random club like the art club, you can still meet students that can help you.

Self-study is definitely necessary. But having some group study thrown in there is amazingly helpful, and very motivating.
  • Try to make some friends in class (or find them through those clubs). It can be intimidating, but try asking the person sitting next to you "hey wanna study together sometime?". The worst they'll say is no... and if that happens, sit next to someone else next time HAHA. I find it less intimidating to ask someone who's sitting alone, because it's likely that they need a friend in the class too.
  • Don't answer practice problems together. Group study goes bad when your friends do all the work for you. Have your group focus on one question at a time, but have everyone attempt the question on their own first. Then share your answers and help each other to the final solution.
  • Teach each other the material. Assign a topic to each person in the group and take turns being the teacher. The best way to learn something is to teach it to someone else.

• Honestly I hate textbooks because they're expensive AFLKDJF but sometimes they're helpful. You don't need the latest edition, because it's likely the material you're learning hasn't changed in the last 10 years. You can buy them cheap from other students, find rental services, or borrow them from the library.
  • If there's a topic in class that you don't understand, find it in a textbook and read about it. Sometimes the authors explain things (and have nice pictures) in a different way than your professor. This is especially helpful if you feel like you need to do some review on topics that may be prerequisites for the course you're taking.
  • The internet is a great resource... youtube and Khan Academy were my go-to's.

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/2 03:12:45 )

The best thing you can do is to not get overwhelmed. You have 4+ years to learn it.
You are there to learn it not teach it to the class lol

Donator — She Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/2 04:00:20 )
@Ixora: *internal screaming* I'm applying to a tech college in toronto once i finish this 4 year degreeee. EEEE!
Tell me what toronto is like if when you get in!
I'm also lactose intolerant. xD Fun fact, if you're lactose intolerant you can end up gluten intolerant because they go hand in hand and aggravate each other. I learned this cause one day i had icecream that was like, red velvet cake. And i double over in pain a while later, more than normal, and felt like garbage. They do tag team and destroy you. 100%. But the good part is, I am getting into gluten free baking and I'm slowly mastering it. And saskatoon has a 100% gluten free bakery where i can get cakes. I still eat icecream, but either lactose freee or i take pills.

@Hachi: You are a gift. I am going to listerally screen shot and print all of that so I can have it on my board to remind me when I start to struggle at any point.

@Totalanimefan: I know... I just stress because of my weird schooling, there is so much i either have to re-learn, or I'm really going to have to grapple with. Thankfully my other classes should be mostly easy. [I'm relearning arabic, I always pass psych even with hard midterms, and studio art... That's gonna be my fuuunnnn claaassss.] I also have to find a way to be able to do some money earning with my week days full. Which is going to be hard to do. Really hard. =(

@koneko: Oh my mental health has improved since they corrected my diagnosis. I was told at 18 when i lived in the states I was bipolar. And they kept giving me like, lithium and such and i kept getting really bad reactions. Recently my psychologist said, let's put that on the backburner and do the opposite. I want to try concerta. It's for ADHD. If it stops your panic attacks and you feel better, we know we're in the right place. If not, we're starting fresh. And It worked. I've focused enough to claw my way into this university [odds were against me. I was turned down twice already and was so discouraged] and I started to feel more energetic and happened to meet the director of alumni for the arts and sciences college... I honestly think knowing I have ADHD and making a plan for strict organization of not just my time but also my room [literally redoing my whole room with hand made furniture to ensure a designated study area and play area] and getting resources from the disabilities office plus tutoring will help.
I just feel guilty when I cry. I really do, because to me, I've been going after this for so long and now I'm in a good place and it's like, why am I letting myself get worked up over this? It's just so much. And I realized how little I knew when I thought I'd read up a bit with a month to go. D=

Sorry to write a big rant but yeah... It's just a lot.

@Bioshock: Thank you... I honestly feel like a bit of a whiner. But I don't know anyone where I live and right now this is the only place where I feel like there are people who maybe understand or can give pointers or anything. And so I thought it wouldn't hurt to reach out.

And thank you everyone for all the support and advice. It's literally helping so much.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/2 04:03:36 )
@Scribartz: I've been in Toronto before - that's why I'm gonna study there now XD
Whaaaaaat? Awwwww. But yeah. How is the baking? That sounds fun though?

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/2 04:06:29 )

@Scribartz: I know. I feel you on that. School is hard, but just go with it one day at a time.

Donator — She Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/2 04:09:23 )
@Ixora: =O Is it as crazy expensive as people say it is? What are people like there? Are there any cool attractions? Are there any amazing sight seeing spots you like to go to? I NEED DETAILS! D= LOL

@Totalanimefan: I will try. Thank you! And good to see you again!
Ping me for fast replies!
https://youtu.be/y4IF2WtkgtM

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/2 04:10:20 )

@Scribartz: It’s good to see you again too <333

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.