Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Apparently you can't discuss your pay openly?

Donator — They/Them Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/23 22:23:44 )

I didn't know this. And I haven't told any of my employees about my pay vs theirs, but apparently you can't discuss your pay openly or else you could get fired. I went away for a week and had another employee take over for me, he asked if he would get my pay and I said I would ask. Never discussed amount. I sent out an email asking and my boss immediately asked me how he knew what my wage was, I explained that he didn't and was just curios if he would have a slight pay increase or not. I didn't get a response, but then that week when my boss and another boss came by they explained that I can't increase his pay or else then everyone else is going to ask for an increase, it'll cause issues (like staff will get mad that someone is being paid more and then they'll fight to replace me, etc). And it all felt so sketchy and weird. I'm rather transparent in regards to just about everything at work but I guess I have to keep this to myself. I nearly shit myself and got super anxious because I thought I was going to get fired for this tbh. I'm still fucking anxious about it bc no one has ever told me that I can't discuss pay. And I haven't! :vanora_sad:

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/23 22:29:36 )

I am not sure if that is even legal. But I do not live in your country. And people should get paid the same amount for the same work. There is no reason to pay someone lower.

Donator — They/Them Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/23 22:35:04 )
@vengeance: That is what I thought. I had this staff doing emails, phone calls, making sure staff did their jobs, picking up groceries, attending meetings and also he picked up bus tickets for our outings. I don't understand why he shouldn't have been paid at least $1 more or my pay for the time he assumed my role? That's why I was so thrown off when I was told that I'm not supposed to discuss my pay or anyone's pay, and that I can't temporarily increase his pay because supposedly other staff will get jealous, it'll create conflict and they may demand to be paid more. We already pay they above minimum wage, and I want to increase them all again because they all work so hard so like... what's the problem? I'm honestly so anxious rn, my bosses like me so I don't think I'll get fired but I'm scared lol. And I shouldn't be scared or anxious over this. They didn't even tell me that I can't discuss it! And I haven't, but if I did then how would I know I couldn't unless they told me? I'm in Canada.

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/23 22:41:13 )
Millet, spilling the tea:

Ha welcome to business politics.
An employer cannot forbid you from discussing your pay from anyone. But most states in the US are "employee at will" which basically means they can fire you for for numerous reasons so long as it isnt discrimatory. They can't fire you for sharing your pay but they can claim a different conveniently timed reason to cover their asses.

Ultimately, they don't want you or other employees to get upset if someone is making more than you for the same job. If there isn't a genuine reason for them to be making more (such as working far longer than you have. Or in general having more experience im the past making them inherently more valuable/less training.)

When I was 18 I was hired doing housekeeping. Given 10.50 an hour. I had minimal not very noteworthy prior experience. I was the ONLY white person on the housekeeping team. And every other worker had worked for the building 2 years - 5 years longer than me. Everyone else was black/Hispanic. When I found out from one of my coworkers he only makes $8.75 I told him I made $10.50

The housekeepers banded together. Went to HR. Threatened discrimatory wages and that week all of them were given $11 an hour.

I got called down and told I wasn't allowed to discuss my wage. I asked why. They said it wasnt appropriate. I asked where in the policy it said that and HR gave me a displeased look but didn't say more.

They needed me so I wasnt fired and the damage to them already been done. My first biggest example of white privilege to be honest.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/23 22:47:00 )

@nyreen: Do you work in the Public Sector? I just read those companies have to disclose their salaries.
Found your anwser here

Donator — They/Them Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/23 23:09:01 )
@Millet: Lol, that's insane. I'm glad you didn't get canned and that everyone came together to fight for a better wage!

@vengeance: I work with youth at a non-profit youth organization. I do work with the public but it isn't a government job.

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/23 23:50:55 )
You gotta @Mention me.

For some reason, in the US, it's can also be frowned upon just between coworkers to discuss wages.
I guess because some people feel like it should be private and personal info?

Which leads to employers being able to lowball their employees, because people only know what they personally make.

Join the Horde. We have bananas. 🍌
Wardrobe/Art Collection

Art by kiwi

Donator — They/Them Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/24 02:07:54 )
Honestly I'm just stressed and hope they don't fire me over this. Esp since I didn't even discuss my wage. It would be a really bad move since I've brought in more staff, volunteers and youth than there has been before and the organization is running a lot smoother. The staff and volunteers have been super consistent, like my work hasn't seen this much consistency in years. Also I know for a fact that if I get fired then all of the staff and volunteers will walk out over it lmao. I've also built a lot of bridges with other organizations, brought in more facilitators for workshops, brought in the first LGBTQ+ program in my community, etc like if I go then it might be the death of the organization. Not to sound dramatic or entitled but I've built it up. And our reputation wasn't the best before because the previous coordinators and executive directors were really racist, sexist, predatory, selfish, some committed frauds, etc so. I had to rebuild a lot of trust with the city and other community organizations.

Donator — They/Them Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/24 02:11:40 )
Also thanks for all of the info everyone. There isn't much cause to fire me. Plus my probation period is over. They would need to give me multiple warnings and then give me two weeks notice. And if that does happen then I could go after them for wrongful termination. It took so long for them to fire people who needed to go (former coordinators and executive directors and staff) so I don't see it being an overnight thing haha. I think I'm just anxious and stuff.

Donator — They/Them Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/24 02:19:33 )
@Q t e a p o n: yeah idk I'm a good employee and the staff, volunteers and youth are all rly happy and our organization has been rly involved in the community and we've just been growing like we had to ask for more funding bc we have increased needs! And we plan to use part of it to increase staff wages again + feed more youth + get more facilitators for workshops, etc so everything is growing and going well. I think my anxiety is just talking rn and I don't want to mess up yknow.
call me grem
they/them

Donator — Whatever Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/24 05:40:01 )
Are ya reddy, guyz?!
Wut

I AM BUT A MINIMUM WAGE PEON
Started in 2011 and the only "raises" I've gotten are from minimum wage going up
For the up front staff I work in a theme park even the highest ranking visible faces on a regular level don't make much more than minimum wage
And we're seasonal so no insurance or any of that important stuff either

questShop

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.