Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Some help if you don't mind:D

Donator — Artist Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/25 09:56:54 )

Hi all so as you know I'm an artist and I've been drawing since as long as I can remember really. I've been in search of a drawing tablets that you can draw on the actual screen. Now I've looked up some stuff online and I've narrowed it down to either the Windows Surface Pro and iPad Air / iPad Pro or any other type of iPad I don't really know what the differences are if someone could help me distinguish the difference is between those that would be great. And the Wacom cintiq. I was really wanting to get the iPad Pro but that's just way too much out of my budget at this time. I already own drawing tablet that plugs into the computer via USB cable but that's not what I'm looking for right now. I tend to draw kind of big so something that has a big screen is kind of what I'm looking for as well as a decent amount of storage because I don't want it crapping out on me or being a slow as a snail like the one I have now... Any and all tips especially from artist would be great thanks so much for reading!:-)

PS sorry for the run on sentences I'm actually using my phone's voice recognition LOL

Donator — she/they Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/25 10:37:05 )
I'm currently using a brand I had previously never heard of because I was insistent that wacom was the begging and end of tablets. I'm using an XP-PEN artist display tablet and its the best tablet I've ever had. It does use a USB cable and a power cable, but I don't know if you can avoid that sense you essentially have an advanced computer monitor on your lap... but the cord it comes with is long enough I could almost sit anywhere in my living room. It also boasts portability, but I have not figured that out yet. The screen is HUGE but its lightweight and comfortable. It can swap between pen and finger activation. My only gripe is it gets so warm when I'm using it, I sometimes have to take breaks so I don't overheat.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/25 17:02:59 )

Ipads are good, You can get the newest ipad for like 300ish dollars and it's pencil compatible.... But you need to buy a good art program usually I find. Like I personally love photoshop and procreate on it. I don't have an ipad or anything any more but it's not a bad option when looking for an alternative to the cintiq (because like that's hella expensive to get if you are unsure you would like drawing on it or not) Huion has some great cheap options as well...
Hangout || Questing
Please ping me if I don't reply.

Donator — Artist Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/25 18:14:40 )

Let me first say thank you so much for all the resposes everyone! I really appreciate all the insight. =)

@Glume: That's an interesting idea.. I will look into it. Do you know if it has palm recognition? Cuz that really sucks x'D Do you have any experience dealing in the ipad realm? *o* Thanks so much ^w^

@SirLionelNigelConrad: Yes, I've been told that the ipad is one of the best options for on screen standalone drawing devices. Which model have you used? (There's like a kagillion)

Donator — she/they Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/25 22:54:31 )
@Rayon Declaire: I hate i-anything as a matter of principal, so I'm a bit biased. But yeah you can turn off the touch when you use the pen, and there is no interference.
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Donator — Artist Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/26 03:13:42 )

@Glume: oh that's awesome I'm really interested in getting one now! Where did you buy yours from the actual website or I'm ordering for Canada because I'm Canadian and naturally are dollar isn't worth nearly as much as the US dollar is. Where do you think would be the cheapest place to buy one if I was to online and not on their website? I know with Cyber Monday coming in a few hours actually LOL that there's going to be some pretty decent deal so I want to take advantage of that but I'm not quite sure where to shop would have the best deals.
Ping me if needed

I do pixels. check my shop

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.