Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Ethical/Moral Dilemmas!!

Donator — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/3 22:53:03 )
Millet, spilling the tea:

I'm going to propose 3 Dilemmas. There is no right or wrong answer. It's simply an exercise to evaluate what angles you take/how you prioritize certain morals over others, and how strong your reasonings skills are. Answer them to the best of your ability!

1) You are captain/the one in charge on this stranded boat. You are the only person the general group trusted to make decisions, and you cannot revoke this responsibility. You also in this situation, are not allowed to jump ship. You must remain the leader for the survivors.
-The boat is not meant to hold more than 7 people.
-Somehow with good intentions, you managed to fit 21 people on very uncomfortably.
-You realize this is causing strain and pressure on the boat, and making it impossible to get the boat moving to hopefully find land.
-There are absolutely no resources or supplies, you only have enough food to feed 7 people.
-The water here is deep, and very cold. Anyone you kick off you are to assume will die of exhaustion or hypothermia.
-You have to eliminate 14 people from this boat. Thankfully everyone here listens to you no matter what so no one will argue with you on who you pick. That's your only convenience.

How would you go about eliminating people? What criteria do you set for who stays? What sorts of people do you think are a risk factor, or a benefit?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2) You fell inlove with an Alien from the Planet Zer'shuude. Together you had two babies, yay for random species being compatible to breed. First born is your daughter, and five years later you have a son. Obviously they are half human, half Zer'shudde. You love them, they love you.
-But another Alien race invades from the planet Tali'goordom. And their sole purpose is to kill all Zer'shuude blood.
-They kill your husband. They notice you are not Zer'shuude and are clinging tightly to your 5 year old son, and 10 year old daughter-scared.
-"Since you are not Zer'shuude, I'll give you a choice. You can choose one child to spare and run far away from here with. But whichever you don't choose, dies. You have 1 minute to decide.
-There is no "I sacrifice myself" option, they don't care about your blood.
-If you don't choose, both of them will die. You're allowed to pick this, but if you do, why?
-There is no fighting back. There is no hope.

Who do you choose (if either of them) and why?
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3) You are a genius chemist AND engineer but despite years of work your debt is debilitating. Your children are sickly. Your home has black mold, a hole in the roof. You get it, you're the hollywood picture of poverty-except it's real. It's war time, there is essentially no aid, as your country is losing this war and all funds/concentrations are on the military.
-You get offered a once in a life time chance to work for the government.
-They want you to develop a gas that is challenging to disipate, wind only would cause it to spread rather than thin out.
-It must be devastatingly deadly.
-You know you can make a formula no problem.
-And if you do, all your financial woes will be cured.
-Your kids could be healthy, and successful, and have a fun burden free life.
-You'll change the tide of the war, this will surely help secure your country a victory.
-But your country is the one in the CLEARLY wrong, you aren't even proud of your nationality and have dreamed of someone dismantling your government.
-And developing this means the killing of millions of innocents, who live in a country that is also innocent and didn't deserve this war.
-Not developing it, you might see the changes you always wanted in your country
-but your family will be long dead before that happens.
-and that's if they don't hire some other genius to develop the weapon anyway.

Do you take the job and go through with making the weapon? Why or why not?

Voltie — HIM Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/3 23:33:09 )
#1) They go off in this order:
Volunteers>Fat people>Anyone there alone>Families by lot drawing
Hopefully that would cover it.
Families because if you take one family member, the rest would mutiny. At least if you throw off a whole family (with some exceptions like children), then the others might go along with it thinking "at least it's not my family."
I would volunteer myself. Don't care about your rules.
I can't expect them to go along with me if I don't include myself in the victims.

#2) Die as a family. One child is not enough to restore a whole race of people, and whichever one that lived would likely resent me for letting their mother and sibling die without fighting for them.

#3)Don't do it. Try to leak info of government's attempts to enemy nation in exchange to immigrate and protection.
Wardrobe/Art Collection

Art by kiwi

Voltie — sewer rat Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/4 00:02:24 )
my answer for all thr----
"Answer them to the best of your ability!"
ee.

sayonara cheesecakes ( 0 ڡ≦)ゞ✩◄-gallery-►

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/4 03:04:34 )
My answer for No. 1 is-- eh, well, survival of the fittest.

No. 2
Both children are gonna die. I'm not going to have one child in their final moments think that I loved them less. I'd rather be there for both right until the end.

No. 3
If the wind spreads it rather than thins it out, there's a huge chance it's going to affect us too, in one way or another.
So nah, probably not.
Call me ping me if you wanna reach me

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/4 10:19:43 )
Oh this is really neat, so let me see...

Answer no.1
The ones I'd be willing to keep would be the ones in good health with usable skills such as survival, hunting or with certain professions such as doctors etc. Who knows how long we'll be stranded?
And if the situation allows it, maybe a child, as they use significantly less supplies and have a whole future ahead..
The ones who would have to go would be, the ones who volunteer, the sick and elderly (with not particular skills) and people and people that would be a risk to the group for example overly aggressive/paranoid etc or people who would, for whatever reason, take up way more of supplies than average.
I hope that that would cut it.

Answer no.2
Hmm, it would be a tie between just kill all of us. If I were to choose morals over logic/ survival.

Or idk, honestly children are interesting when it comes to their way of thinking, I might even be willing to explain the situation to them
(shame they're young so I don't know till which extent they'll be able to understand this)
Maybe one will even say they'd be okay with saving the other. And I would honor that.
(reminds me of the story of the kid who had to donate blood or something for his sister and thought it would be fatal for him but did it anyway??
not sure how much of it is true but I can see it happen.)

Do I know there would be no way for my kids to know that they would act that way?
I'd, unless there is another factor i did not take into account go with the first born and pull a '' just look at the flowers'' on the other.
I'd ask the other to leave the area and tell them to wait for me.
Or maybe go with the youngest since they won't remember as much.
I'll have to know my kids first.

Nothing personal, really tough choice though. Hard to decide if you're not actually in mentioned situation, hmm.

Answer no.3

Is it possible to make the gas, make some kind of cure in secret (I mean it was mentioned we were geniuses)
Distribute second in secret (or tell people to evacuate if it's too far fetched) and use it in our own county kill off the government from the inside out?
I mean, yes with the risk of me and all dying if they catch me but hey, if I don't my family is saved, and so is the rest, might even end the war.

It's still early idk if I'm making sense, RIP , but it was some nice food for thought, good topic!
Sorry if Reply late!
Please ping me!

Questing

Voltie — they/them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/4 13:00:33 )
hmmm
1. Sick, wounded and elderly go first. Prioritising crew (so the trained professionals) over the others and sending them off on lifeboats (if possible). Before anything try and SOS to other ships, mainland and/or marine authorities

2. Not going to lie here, this is the hardest.Both children are going to hate me because I did this so even though I thought about saving my daughter first since she is the oldest, I think it's better if I save the five years old boy because being so young this will not affect him the same way it would a pre-teen. The daughter will resent me and feel guilty and miserable for the rest of her life but the son might lose these memories growing up and that would help him understand and live a more fulfilling life. I on the other hand would probably only live for his sake since this would definitely haunt me for the rest of my days.

3. Take the offer use the first bit of money i get to take my family out of the country, sabotage my research by leaking info and something direct like blowing up the facility w me inside (make it look like an accident) so my family could live without being haunted by the gvt and my country wouldn't win
tumblr.
literally always ping me

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.