Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Saturday Night

Voltie — HIM Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/11 17:50:44 )
You gotta @Mention me.

omgosh food prices!
Before the price hikes, at Aldi I could get 1lb rolls of sausage or turkey for just under 2 dollars. Now I'm lucky if they're just at 3 dollar.
It really adds up when you do your shopping.
Thankfully gas prices have come down a decent bit in my area. We were up to almost 4$/gal, but in the last couple weeks it's back down to 3$/gal.

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/11 20:35:19 )

@Wildfire: my mom would shop at Publix and Aldi once her area got it before she left for PA. Like 2017-ish? I don’t know if you have one near you.

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/11 20:36:11 )

@Rallaa: good went up a ton this year! Like at least 10% and some things doubled like eggs.

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/11 21:58:52 )
@Rallaa: Gas is $3/gallon here right now too. It helps. A little. And yeah... between the increased pricing and "Shrink-flation" (where the sizes of what you are buying are smaller)... eeep!!! Even the BOGO prices are like "I'm getting two (smaller) things, but I'm still paying more than what ONE was just a few months ago" ... wherever you shop.

@Totalanimefan: There are at least 3 (maybe up to 5 or 6) Publixes within 5 miles of me (more like 3 miles). Aldi... they are not as common, but there is at least one (two, actually), probably within 8 miles (?). For some reason, I don't go to Aldi... although I do keep hearing positive things about them...

Voltie — HIM Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/11 23:09:02 )
You gotta @Mention me.

@Wildfire: I forgot to Mention the NPC for the maze game. Does it still work if I edit the post??

Art by kiwi

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/11 23:35:07 )
@Rallaa: no, it doesn't. Make another post, tagging the NPC and just let them know that you posted your answers for the maze game and forgot to tag them.

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/11 23:35:36 )
@Rallaa: They might see it anyway, but why take the chance??

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/12 18:12:34 )

@Wildfire: Aldi is great! I first used it when I was in England cause it is from Europe. I'm glad that we have them now. It's a smaller store, like half the size of a Publix but the prices are really good and they tend to have rotating stock for things. My mom really loves their chocolate (and so does my husband cause he doesn't like that American chocolate taste). I don't know if it's worth an 8 mile trip every week if you are busy?

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/12 20:26:40 )
@Totalanimefan: Well, with the rare exception, typical American chocolate sucks, so I'm 100% with your husband there! XD Yeah, it's one of those things that I keep going "I should stop" but can't because I'm on my way to some other errand or activity and forget about it or am too tired to do it on the way home... but one of these days... XD And actually, I have been in one of those stores once or twice, I think...

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/12 21:08:50 )

@Wildfire: Yeah I agree with it too. He doesn't understand how anybody can like it haha.
Keep it up and then you have less on your plate for tomorrow. My husband and I ended up helping a friend with packing for her move this weekend a lot more than we thought. So today is mostly resting for me but I did make Chicken noodle soup and it really hit the spot!

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/13 14:24:45 )
@Totalanimefan: Yeah... the chocolate and candy here is just gross for the most part - it doesn't even taste like anything other than artificial sweeteners and ... chalk? ... wallpaper paste?... something. Ick. XD

It's good that you could help a friend pack - that's such an onerous job to do, especially alone! But I'm sorry that it ended up being more than you were expecting and that you're sore as a result. Feel better!

LOL - I made some bone broth chicken soup a couple of days ago. It turned out really good too! :3

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/14 18:12:54 )

@Wildfire: 100% agree with you. You have to go out of your way to get the expensive America stuff so it tastes like something other than just sugar and like fake-ness? I guess we just eat too much 'real' food haha

I took the day off from doing anything around the house and I am feeling better. We are also helping for a few hours this weekend. Luckily she just has a studio apartment. In return she is going to help with some of our move in March. :) Probably for the same amount of time we are putting in now (but we have a 2B/2B).

That's just prefect for this time of year. Although I don't know how cold it is in your area atm. On the other coast it's been in the 70's and sometimes even 80's still. It's going to sleet here tomorrow so I'm headed to the store today haha.

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/14 18:35:34 )
@Totalanimefan: Yeah, I'd much rather eat real food than packaged stuff, including all the "goodies" that our culture seems to dwell on. :3

I'm glad you're feeling better after taking a day completely off. We all need that sometimes, and we don't seem to actually do it as often as we probably should.

The temps here have been about the same... 70s/80s. It's nice. Warm, but comfortable.

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/14 18:42:52 )

@Wildfire: Yeah I don't really miss many 'conventional' foods. I will say that sometimes I want Oreos and that's about it. Maybe like once a year.
Agreed. I wish that was more normal.
Wanna trade? I'm getting sleet tomorrow and right now it's 42 outside. No rain or much wind though.

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/14 19:28:41 )
@Totalanimefan: LOL - I'm the same way... I don't often eat the stuff that most of our society seems to thrive on. If there's dessert ordered at a restaurant, for example, I might take a bite of somebody's (we don't usually have that stuff in the house; holidays excepted... and even then, most of the time I don't eat it, or if I do, it's the smallest of pieces).. I don't drink soda... etc. We're weird. <3

LOL... uhhh... nooooooo, thank you. Do you need a winter coat? I just found an old professional-looking, mid-calf/ankle-length, lined, 100% wool coat of mine in the clothes I'm going through and trying to get out of the house. It's a leftover from when I lived in NYC - suited to those winters and environment...

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/14 19:44:03 )
    I don't mind junk food and saccharine sweets but I didn't grow up on it so it's not something I crave as often. I was always in awe of people in school who could eat fast food every day for every meal--partly in respect to the affordability of it (which it turns out, they couldn't really afford it) and partly with respect to how crummy you can feel after a few days of that diet.

I so much as look sideways at a milkshake and I will get a zit.

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/14 22:26:24 )

@Wildfire: I also don't drink soda. It's just soo sweet. You could half the sweetness and then maybe I would have some. I do like Root Beer but I wish I could find a half sweet one.
Wow I bet that coat is super beautiful! I'm sure that you could probably sell it online. Buying 2nd hand online is very in right now. :) When I moved here I got a winter coat from REI. :)

@blue: I don't know how people do it cause fast food tends to wreck me and it can make my IBS flare up. I guess it's the low quality oils and things like that? I can have things like Chipotle just fine, but ones that we tend to think of as fast foods like McDonalds, Wendys, Taco Bell, etc

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/14 22:42:13 )
@Totalanimefan:

Do you have a web site or something in mind that could be used to sell this (and other things)??

Yeah... soda... OMG it's sweet... and artificial tasting!!! I'll do like "Spindrift" flavored bubbly water, but that's about it...

@blue: so you're on pretty much the same page and me and Total. That's cool. Yeah, I don't get eating that way, although I did grow up with a largely "standard" American Diet ("S.A.D.")

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/14 23:41:20 )
    Ohh, an overcoat? I have one that I...*borrowed* from a sibling. To be fair, they left town so I adopted it. If you add a pretty or unique brooch, and maybe lint roll it or even give it a rit dye splash, you're set.

I've nothing against junk food per se but it's expensive these days (what isn't). I used to eat fast food often when I was injured because it was the easiest and fastest way to get a lot of calories without much effort. My partner likes sweet tea and soda, but oddly not the bubbles associated with them. I think if they made a bottle of flat syrup water, they would be all over it.

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/15 06:53:24 )

@Wildfire: it’s pretty. I recommend Poshmark. Are there local consignment places that would take it too?
I didn’t used to like bubbly water anything but I have slowly come to like it little by little. I like the stuff with the smaller less intense bubbles. Sometimes I mix bubbly water with flat water to get that soft small bubble mix. We were given a soda stream by a neighbor that didn’t use hers anymore.
I was also raised on that diet and I was soo addicted to sugar growing up. I did stop soda in 6th grade cause I was in choir and I learned it wasn’t good for your singing voice.

@blue I do like sweet tea but most places it’s too sweet so I ask for half sweet and half unsweetened. It’s a good combo :)

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.