Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat ❀ Voltie's Favorite Recipes -- Tell me yours!!

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/2 00:31:27 )

Tell me your favorite dishes to make! Walk me through them in your words, as if I were a child eager to learn how to fend for myself~!

These must be dishes that you have actually made! Not something googled!
Because that is what makes it a special Voltie recipe!

It can be weird stuff too!
I once ate a whole ass green onion that was wrapped in cream cheese and salami. It looked horrendous but tasted AMAZING!

Bonus points if you include a photo or doodle of what the dish would look like!

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/2 00:33:17 )

I love the art that you made for this thread, it is just too cute! As for the recipe this is one that I often make

This is for one or two people, and you could always add to it. For example I'm sure that onions would go well with this, but they made me sick.
2-3 scrambled egg(s)
1 red bellpepper
aioli/sauce of your choosing
and a tortilla per person.
Chop one red bell pepper. Cook it in a pan on Med-low. Add salt, pepper and turmeric if you don't mind the color.
Scramble one or two eggs in the same pan add salt and pepper
Put those on a warm plate to the side.
Warm your tortilla in the pan you were just using, this only takes like 10 sec a side.
Place the tortilla on your plate. Add your sauce (or go sauce free) and then top with your eggs and bell pepper. Then fold.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/2 00:34:25 )

This is not a quick or easy recipe, but this is my Butter Chicken Recipe
Butter Chicken/Paneer

You will need:
1 lb Chicken Thigh (Or Paneer)
1.5 lb Can of Diced Tomatoes
1 Tbsp of Butter or Ghee
1 Stick of Butter
8oz of Heavy Cream
1 Tbsp fresh Ginger
1 Tbsp fresh Garlic
2 Tbsp Ground Cumin (just use feeling)
3 Tbsp Garam Masala(just use feeling)
2-3 Tbsp Chili Powder blend (just use feeling)
2-3 Tbsp Turmeric powder (just use feeling)
Few cracks of Black Pepper
Salt to Taste
1 Tbsp Brown Sugar

Optional only if you pick Chicken:
2 Tbsp of Plain Yogurt
1 Tbsp Garam Masala
Salt

If you are going with Chicken cut the thighs into bite sized pieces add to Yogurt + Spice marinade. Put in fridge for at least 30 mins up to 8 hours.
-Add the marinaded chicken in batches to a hot pan and let them brown 2-3 mins each side. Take the chicken out of the pan and in a new bowl.
-In a blender add a large can of diced tomatoes, fresh ginger, fresh garlic and 1 Tbsp each of of Ground Cumin, Garam Masala, Chili Powder blend, Turmeric powder, Salt and a few cracks of Black Pepper.
-Blend until smooth

-Add 1 Tbsp of Butter/Ghee and 1 Tbsp of Cumin and Garam Masala. Let spices sweat while getting the fond off the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon
-Add the blended mixture to the pan. Get more fond off the bottom if you couldn’t get it all before.
-Add one whole stick of (Salted) butter and melt while continuously stirring.
-Cook on Medium-Low heat for 7-8 mins. Stir occasionally.

-Add the rest of the spices, sugar and heavy cream.
-Taste for salt levels and spices. It should not taste like a spiced tomato soup. It should take like a blend of spices in a smooth base. If it tastes like a good tomato soup add more Chili Powder Blend. Taste, if not add Garam Masala.
-Add half cooked chicken (or Paneer) at this stage. Stir and leave for 10 mins. Taste for flavors and salt levels after the chicken is fully cooked.

-Simmer until ready to serve with rice or Naan (or both).

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/2 01:10:25 )

Ah

I am already quite hungry
I hope to see a lot of people join in with their recipes
Meanwhile I'm thinking if I have any special kind.... Usually its my partner who's cooking these days
:vanora_yum:

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/8 02:27:01 )
If anyone's looking for a relatively simple recipe I have one, my moms recipe for rice pilaf. Bit time consuming though.

I don't make this terribly often just because it's kind of time consuming and probably not the healthiest but it's good.

Ingredients:
-1/2c to 1 cup of rice, uncooked
-1 stick of butter, can use half if it's too much
- whatever vegetables you want to use, I usually use Shredded carrot, Celery, and onion
-1 box of chicken or vegetable broth
- whatever meat you want to throw in, I usually do
cooked chicken or smoked sausage. Haven't tried it but I'm sure tofu would work well in this recipe for those that don't eat meat

Directions
1. Melt butter in pan and add your uncooked rice, toast until its a nice golden color

2. Add in your vegetables, cook for a bit more
3. Add your broth, bring to a boil, stirring occasionally
4. Reduce heat slightly and let simmer, stirring occasionally, add in meat & whatever seasonings you want to use about halfway through cooking; continue to simmer until rice is cooked. Depending on how much rice you used you may have to add a smidge more broth or water occasionally

I also like to throw in a handful or two of Shredded cheese once it's done but you can leave that out if you want to.

Donator — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/9 22:06:51 )
    My current favorite recipe is homemade chicken noodle soup.
    I use rotisserie chicken instead of cooking my own and that
    helps give the recipe more flavor without having to add more
    seasoning and spices.

Ingredients:
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 cup carrots
    1 cup celery
    1 cup vidalia onion
    2 garlic cloves
    64 ounces chicken broth
    2 bay leaves
    1 teaspoon fresh thyme
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    salt and pepper to taste
    12 ounces egg noodles
    2 cups shredded chicken

Instructions:
    1. to a large Dutch oven or stockpot, add the oil and heat over medium-high heat to warm
    2. add the carrots, celery, onion, and sauté for about 7 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften
    add the garlic and sauté for another 1-2 minutes
    3. add the chicken broth, bay leaves, thyme, oregano, pepper and salt and bring to a boil
    allow mixture to boil gently for about 5 minutes or until veggies are fork tender
    4. add the egg noodles and bring to a boil for about 10 minutes or until noodles are tender
    5. add chicken and boil for about 1-2 minutes or until chicken is warmed through
    6. make any last minute adjustments like seasoning or adding more chicken broth to replace
    what boiled away and then serve!

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/9 22:15:21 )

@llyr: This sounds good. I want to try this myself (but without the onion)

Donator — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/9 22:19:53 )
    @Totalanimefan: I’ve changed out the veggies according to preference or whatever is in the store and it’s done well!
    My kids won’t eat the veggies but they will eat the noodles and the chicken and they approve.
Currently Questing;
keep warm
librarian
fabled
draconic dream

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/9 22:23:45 )

@llyr: onions make me sick so I can't eat those, but I will happily eat the rest. ^^ You can't go wrong with Chicken Noodle Soup!

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/10 18:16:52 )
    I guess it just depends on what I'm in the mood for. A popular dessert I make in the summer is a strawberry crumble, and I like to make fried chicken or stir-fried noodles for dinner on occasion. One of my favorite meals to make is a knock-off of the takeout from The Halal Guys. Chili is pretty common in the house, as are pancakes made from vegetables (like carrots or potatoes [latkes]) and pizza.

Ingredients:
    - berries of choice <-- a good mix is strawberries (for how delicious they are), raspberries (for tartness), and blackberries (to add depth)
    - caster sugar <-- optional for the crumble; more sweet means more sugar, and natural sweetness is no sugar used
    - starch <-- doesn't matter what kind; corn, rice, potato, tapioca, etc.
    - oatmeal
    - brown sugar
    - flour
    - butter
    - baking dish with sides

Directions:
    Toss the berries in enough starch to lightly coat them--this prevents liquid from pooling at the bottom of your crumble. If you want a sweeter dessert, also add in some caster sugar, otherwise you can skip this. Spread out the berries in the baking dish. For the crumble on top, mix together equal parts flour and oatmeal, with about a third as much brown sugar and butter. Ideally, you want the mixture to clump together so that you can drop bits of it on top of the berry mixture in the baking dish. If it's too sticky and wet, you might have too much butter, so just add more oatmeal/flour and vice-versa. Then bake at 350º until the crumble looks brown and cooked.

You can enjoy this hot out of the oven, but you won't be able to taste anything for three days so hold your horses.

I don't really measure things out because I cook often and adjust as I need. Fortune favors the brave, but sometimes it doesn't. Ice cream can cure a baking mistake so have fun.

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/10 18:21:29 )

yayyy more recipes appeared!!
\o/
this thread is really to give myself more dinner options lmao

i also love making home made chicken noodle soup! it's never exactly the same twice, cause i never write things down. so I'll forget ingredients or I'll add new ones lmao but it's always delicious!

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/10 18:27:32 )

@blue: I love making crumbles. For how good it is, it really isn't a lot of work. Put the fruit in the bowl and then add the topping on top.
Also love Latkes. I grew up around a large Jewish population so I would have them when a friend would invite me over for Hanukkah. Now that I'm older I can't eat the ones with onions in them.
Tell me your knock off recipe for Halal Guys!

@Jolly: When I make Butter Chicken it's never the same twice. I only have that recipe cause my mom requested it.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/10 21:03:48 )
    I just sort of wing it. This one time I made the red sauce so spicy that my spice-loving-partner was in tears.
    Apparently, "scorpion" is too far.

I will probably have chicken again for dinner, or just finish the rest of the donuts I made:

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/1 03:32:50 )

I love winging it when it comes to cooking!
sometimes to my fiance's demise

Tonight is one of my SOUPS!!

So I take some ground beef (1 lb cause its only two of us) and brown it in the pot. Toss some garlic powder or fresh minced garlic in there, cause it smells good.
Once that's good, I toss in a bunch of veggies. Never exactly the same every time.
Tonight its onions, carrots, peas, cauliflower.
Then I always toss in about two cans of stewed tomatoes.
Then I'll add enough water until I feel satisfied that it looks like a properly balanced soup.
Thennn toss in at least 2 beef bouillon cubes, maybe more if the flavors need it.
Let it all simmer for a while until the veggies begin to soften.
From there, I'll add in chili powder until the flavors explode deliciously

The last thing I do is cook some egg noodles. I dont' like soggy leftovers so I cook these in a separate pot and I'll add them to the bowls rather than adding them into the pot.

I'll add a photo once its done, if I remember to >v<
currently in the simmering process~

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/1 18:59:49 )
    My partner once regaled me with how noodles should be stored separately from "the gravy" to prevent that kind of homogenized mess that happens when you store them in the same container. It sounds like you made a good chili with noodles!

I made a beef stir-fry the other night that turned out really nicely. I got that pan rip-roaring hot to mimic a wok and then satueed some mushrooms, peppers, and a few mixed vegetables from a frozen bag (I think it was a mix of carrots, cauliflower, snap peas, squash). Tossed all of that into a bowl, then seared the beef, added the vegetables back and added in the sauce mix and gave it a good toss until everything was glossy. I watched a few videos about stir-fry and decided to try Kenji Lopez-Alt's technique for the beef. He roughly massages it with some cornstarch and baking soda (among other spices) to make it more tender. Granted, i don't have a control group but the beef was indeed tender and had a pleasant texture that grabbed the sauce.

I use a website called Foodgawker to find recipes. Or--to be more honest--I look at photos of food and then make that dish according to my own recipes. It's great just for ideas but there are a few recipes I do faithfully follow. Scones.
    Well, if I'm being honest again, I follow the base and then use my own judgment for the fillings. So far, every scone has been a massive hit.

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/8 18:23:58 )

New recipe unlocked!
Chicken salad sandwich (with grapes)

Shredded chicken (used already cooked rotisserie chicken cause raw chicken quality here has gone terrible lately!)
mayo
red grapes
shredded cabbage
red onions
hard boiled egg whites
salt + pepper

I only have wheat bread rn to try this in, but definitely when I get a chance I'll be looking for a good pita bread! That would be golden <3

Now I only used salt and pepper, but open for recommendations for seasoning :D

*edit
M
just tried eating it for a first time and its perfect
mmmmmmmmm
I am leaving Voltra
Find my links here

08 22 22

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.