Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts ┤▒├ Wildfire's World ┤▒├ All welcome, all the time - come say Hi!

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/27 23:03:53 )
@Totalanimefan: I really need to seriously consider replacing meats with cheaper alternatives in meals. I have dried lentils and beans that got buried in a cupboard somewhere and my sister left quite a bit of tofu from her visit here.

I've been stretching out the meat meals, for sure.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/27 23:05:48 )

@Koah: I really like various lentil soups or Dahl (an Indian dish made mostly with lentils). For beans I make chili and I think the key to using tofu is not to treat it like a meat replacement in a recipe but instead find a recipe that naturally goes with tofu. Think Asian dishes.
What have been your meat stretching techniques?

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/27 23:13:53 )
@Totalanimefan: I'm glad you're making progress... and I understand why you don't want to post what you've written because of those plagiarism filters that most college sites seem to be employing these days /sigh/

@Koah: Oh yeah - I completely feel ya on that! It is depressing to go to the store these days... between the price increases and the availability of stuff... it always makes me a little depressed...

I hope the washer can handle the size of the rug -I didn't even think about that, tbh, but you make a good point!! I'll have to balance it out with towels or something and hope for the best!

... the "conventional" meat here is now what I would pay for its organic equivalent a year or so ago... going grocery shopping is seriously depressing these days. It always seems to upset me...

We are definitely doing more beans, soups, and salads these days... /sigh/ ...

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/27 23:23:50 )

@Wildfire: Yes and this filter is good. It takes like 10 mins to search the whole internet haha. It even looks through other papers that were submitted in the past. It's way more high tech than the one at my Uni 10 years ago. I still joke about it. I remember turning a paper in and it said that I had palgerized and I was like what? and then it said that I coped the word 'The'. Just 'The' not the whole sentence, not every instance of the word 'The' in my paper, just the first one. lolol

I finished part B of my paper, which was not as hard haha. It was to relate what the company in the case study is doing and how well it aligns with my 4 values. I'm on part C now and it's about leadership and how to improve it in the company. And then after that is an explanation of the potential changes and how to enact them.

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/27 23:24:19 )
@Totalanimefan: I'd gladly take some advice or favorite simple meal recipes. I'm expanding my kitchen horizons and still pretty new to cooking. :d
This week, I pre-cooked chicken and shredded it. In separate containers, I experimented with flavors. I wanted to find a yummy lunch-wrap recipe. So I'm down to a little bit of chicken left. I liked the chili-lime recipe best with a tomato basil tortilla/wrap.

As far as beef, I've been trying to do stews. but I'm sick of stews now. XD

We do a lot of asian meals here. My husband is amazing at throwing foods together and making it something good. My favorite dish of his is Bulgogi, but that's straight up ginger-beef.

@Wildfire: Our local ranches have been advertising selling half or whole cows to families who can afford to buy it outright. I did the math, and it's still more costly than what the grocery store offers. :c
I should just kick my husband out during hunting season and tell him to not come home until he has a deer or elk. lmao. XD

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/27 23:28:22 )

Oh salads. I forgot to say that I've been having salad a lot more. And you know what, I really like a good salad. Tastes good and makes me feel like I'm putting good things into my body lol

@Koah: See above for a meal idea I forgot about even though that's what I had for lunch XD
Oh that sounds really good. To add to your chicken wrap could be bell peppers and maybe some scrambled eggs.
If you got ground beef you could make chili. Ground beef, beans, (cut of bell peppers if you have more from above recipe), spices, water/stock and you got yourself a meal for days lol. I add cheese on top of the individual servings I portion out.
I super love Bulgogi! It's so good. Do you guys have it over rice? With veggies? (both?)
Another place I get some ideas from is this website. ^^ https://www.budgetbytes.com

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/27 23:36:35 )
@Totalanimefan: omgosh, that link is making me drool. <3 Thank you.
We typically do bulgogi with rice and veggies. :3 My kids love broccoli and carrots with basically anything. XD I always have an over abundance of broccoli and carrots.
i really love squash, but being pregnant has been challenging because I'm craving foods I've never used before. lol! like spinach. XD and cucumbers.

I love a decent salad. <3 What dressing do you use? Kind of a weird question- but I've only ever used ranch, ranch is having a way of coming back up right now [thanks to the human leach growing in my hoo-ha].

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/27 23:45:19 )

@Koah: I love this website. After moving to CA for my husband's work we were pretty poor and I became a housewife for about a year and a half. I used this website a lot and I became better at cooking too.
I love broccoli and carrots too! And they are great in Asian dishes too so it's a win-win.
I like to hide spinach in my smoothies when I make them. You can't taste it at all. Cucumber we have been having a lot with this Japanese recipe Japanese Cucumber Salad.
I'm not a fan of ranch, but I think I'm the only person in the world that think that lol. I like vinegar based dressing. I was making my own for a while when I was growing lettuce but now I just buy some at the store. What's hard is that the cheap stuff has a lot of junk added to it.
Here are some I've tried in the past from Budget Bytes.
Peanut Lime
Italian
Seasame Ginger
Balsamic Vinaigrette

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/27 23:55:59 )
@Totalanimefan: Yeah... I've had to deal with this with my kids the last couple of years. I understand where they're coming from, but at the same time...really??? o_0

... at least you're making progress on your assignments??

...ugh...

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/28 00:02:30 )

@Wildfire: Yeah it's almost more annoying then learning everything and taking an exam, but at the same time this is faster than learning everything and exam lol
I don't remember what I posted last, but I finished parts A, B and 80% of C1. Next is C2 and C3 (it's similar questions but broken down)
EDIT: 24 mins later and I'm on C3! Last question bby!

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/28 00:34:25 )
@Totalanimefan: omgosh, I'm loving these recipes, I have a lot of this stuff at home. C:
I'm going to try the spiced lentils with carrots tonight. I already have everything. so YAY.
and the balsamic vinaigrette looks easy enough to make, but I don't have olive oil right now. :d

I've talked to @wildfire: a lot about changing my diet.
<3
I'm really open to suggestions. I've gotten better these last few months at being more 'risky' in the kitchen. My comfort/quick foods, I don't make as much anymore. I was one of those kids that grew up with ramen and soda in the house. I haven't drunk caffeinated soda in years.
Now when I make ramen, I add veggies and eggs and ginger. :3 <3

lmao, I rambling on about food, so I must be hungry. XDD

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/28 00:41:32 )

@Koah: Oh that's super awesome! It's an amazing feeling when you see a new recipe you want to do and you already have what you need!
Balsamic vinaigrette is one of my favs!
Good for you. That's really rough. I grew up in a household where my parents cooked a lot but it was never healthy food. And it was always meat with something else. I had to learn how to have a meal without always having meat and it's hard to do even now lol. I used to like instant ramen and now I just feel like it's salty nothing-ness. I don't know how I ate it all the time lol. I do like adding things to boxed foods to make an easy and healthier meal.
I'm hungry now too and I don't know what I should make for dinner. Maybe chill? Fried rice?

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/28 00:51:27 )
@Totalanimefan: My husband is the super meat-eater. He's getting rounder and he refuses to believe it's the food we eat. lol! The first time I met his family, I was a teenager. They were having a 'congrats and goodbye' party for my husband [bf at the time XD], he was headed off to boot camp that week.
Anyway, I felt like such a butthead because I couldn't eat any of the food they had served. =3=' They decided I was 'hoity toity' after that. XD
The food was all fried. Fried chicken... fried fries, etc. It was all deep-fried. At the time I couldn't stomach [even now], deep-fried foods.
They had no sides. or vegetables. OTL

mmmm, you should do fried rice. :D

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/28 01:23:32 )

@Koah: I can't do all that oil. It really messes with my IBS. Maybe I could eat like two pieces but that's it lol
I hate it when people make fun of what others eat, but then I realized it's coming from their insecurities. It has nothing to do with you. (Still not cool tho)
Fried rice it is then ^^

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/28 01:59:26 )
    I miss the food I ate when I was in school. It was really just pizza, nachos, beer, wine, and caprese salads. And enough coffee to serve a cruise liner.

My father is like that; he becomes personally offended any time someone mentions that they're vegan. For whatever reason, he just can't get over the idea of honey. Or veganism, really.

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/28 02:03:22 )
@Totalanimefan: I am missing veggie broth for this lentil soup, but so far, so good. It smells good anyway.
I don't have IBS and the oil messes with my system pretty bad. I can't even imagine with IBS. e.e
I realized later that his family teased me from their insecurities. They really felt that their eating habits were cheaper than the 'organic' stuff. lol. XD
When I was pregnant 8 1/2 years ago, I stayed with his family and bought a giant fruit tray after they said something like "we cant afford fruit and that stuff".
They were baffled because my giant tray of fruit lasted me, alone, for a week and it was only 10$.

@blue: lol, I like that my brain went to High school and I was like "beer? wine? Whaht?!" XD My dad was always trying to force his daughters to eat more meat. Never allowed any of us to try the vegetarian route. A few years back, he had some serious health issues arise, and meat had to be severely cut from his diet.
It's weird visiting him now, and he sits and eats his berries and fruit for breakfast and some sort of well-rounded meal for dinner.

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/28 02:13:26 )
This lentil dish is seriously smelling like my Swedish grandma's house!

Ever smell something that gives you instant nostalgia? XD

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/28 02:56:55 )

It's like I understand why, but I still don't understand why people have to push that kind of stuff on others. Just leave it, people are trying to better themselves lol

@Koah: Wow I'm glad that you seem to like the dish. How did it taste? My fried rice was good, but I've made better in the past.
Oil is no joke, for me. But I know that it messes with other people too. I can have a little fried chicken or French fries but not a lot and not like everyday. It's just a treat for me.
Yeah I don't think that people realize the cost difference between healthy and not. Pre-made healthy stuff is more for sure, but what about when you make it yourself? It's not that bad then. I don't make everything myself, I think I would go crazy since I don't like to cook that much, but I do cook a lot myself because I can't eat onions. (They make me sick). I could totally go for a fruit tray right now lol.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/28 02:57:53 )

@Wildfire: I think that you will be happy to know that I completely finished the 2nd essay I was working on while posting in this thread and I proofread it and turned it in! If it comes back as a pass that will mean my 2 essays I wrote today = another class passed. :)

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/28 04:58:40 )
@Totalanimefan: It tastes really good with toasted bread. I would even say making bread bowls would be worth it with this meal.
I enjoy the food, but my kids and roommate are complaining. Sucks to be them because this is what they're getting. XD
My husband loves it. :3 Or me. lol!

lol, my roommate is fun to watch. His diet is really bad and it's entertaining watching him trying to eat this. He's determined to finish his bowl.
I'm definitely learning that the pre-made and boxed 'healthy' is incredibly expensive. I've stably lived in one place for almost 2 years now and I'm now learning about shelf-life foods and stuff like that. :3

LOL my roommate just finished his food. He chased it with Dr Pepper. I'm laughing at him because he entertained me.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.