Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat OK pc help ;;

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/3 17:28:12 )

(UPDATE: since I switched back to my wired mouse, even though it had errors too before, now it isn't so far. I'll bump this up if I need any additional help, but as long as this thing keeps working I'll let it rest for now. tysm!)

After resetting my PC, my cursor stopped lagging for the day.
NOW I CAN BARELY USE IT its lagging so badly, took me 20 minutes to get to this spot.
I've tried everything I could understand to fix it but I'm at a complete loss. Idk if anyone here has enough knowledge to think of any ideas orz
I can't afford to drop a chunk of money to see a professional for it.

Everything else on my pc seems to load just fine, just my cursor lags like mad. I have tried wireless and wired mouse, different usb ports, it only gets worse over time. my CPU and RAM are not overloading when this is happening (used to be RAM was overloading so I thought it was that, but after my PC reset everything else is on a normal level).
I've reinstalled mouse drivers and messed with the settings so much. This is beyond my non-pro PC knowledge I think ;v;'''

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/3 17:30:36 )

Also if I dont reply much.. its cause my cursor is totally nonfunctional by the time I got to OP
and I'm using my phone tryina find google advice that i havent tried yet. My PC is kinda detrimental for my schooling.. this is so stressful

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/3 17:59:18 )

Does the lagging come and go or get worse and stop?
@Jolly: look above.

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/3 18:16:51 )

@totalanimefan:
it sort of comes and goes. for most the time the jitter and freezing was in short bursts. now, it functioning only lasts seconds then it's frozen again.

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/3 18:19:44 )

i should also note that any time i change something, it'll work again. like my pc reset or when i change mouse, it'll work for a bit like normal. then the problems quickly return

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/3 18:52:40 )
Hardware model and OS please. I will put on my thinking cap for a small fee (of praise)

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/3 19:02:00 )

@tomyum:
Alienware Aurora R6
i7-7700 CPU, Geforce GTX 1070
16GB RAM, which is currently running at about 26% with google (biggest hog) and discord open at the moment.
oh and its Windows 10

I switched back to my wired mouse and at the moment, its working smoothly. But like I said above, any time I change something it'll work for a bit, then in hours or a day usually acts up again >> so idk how long this will last

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/3 19:15:28 )

Sounds like either spikes in CPU usage or thermal throttling.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/3 19:15:47 )
As long as the ram is below 100 you are good. It is probably a windows 10 problem you have. Did you update the video drivers using the ones from nvidia? Is your windows version up to date?

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/3 19:17:40 )

@Jolly: I left a response above. These responses are coming from my husband who works in tech.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/3 19:24:21 )

@tomyum:
Before I reset my PC, my RAM was hitting 100 a lot and I kept getting errors when trying to update my video driver. Figured that was the problem, so I tried various things and ended up doing a full reset. Now everything is updating properly and good to go.

what @totalanimefan: says is also a possibility. Like maybe I'm not seeing the problem because its happening in spikes. I dont know how to detect thermal throtting but when my cursor is frozen/jittering and not working, I throw up my processes to see where they're at. CPU usage remains at about 2-3% and I've yet to see my memory usage jump over 30% since I reset yesterday. Also while I'm navigating using only my kb, everything is quick and functioning smoothly, no lags or anything. Its so weird lol

unless both my mice are breaking at the same time, which would be ironic but possible I guess

Donator — They/Them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/3 19:27:08 )
@jolly: when your mouse issues start up, could you open the task manager to report the RAM/CPU usage then? seeing into the issue while it's happening could produce different results

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/3 19:30:51 )

@addy:
Yeah! I just mentioned that in the post above. I have been doing this every time it gets so bad my cursor wont function.
The usage levels are always chill (after I fixed other issues yesterday morning). nothing else going on lags at all either, if I have anything else running

Donator — They/Them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/3 19:32:51 )
@Jolly: oh oops i mistook that as the CURRENT usage, sorry!

if this were happening to me i'd probably try a fresh reinstall of the mouse drivers, if that's something you're comfortable with. or updating them even?
pls ping me, ty!!

TURN OFF THE SUN // PULL THE STARS FROM THE SKY

quest | etc

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/3 19:35:53 )
If RAM is getting to maximum you might have a memory leak. Does your computer have a special kind of NIC like the Killer series? It has special drivers you need because sometimes it will cause memory leaks. RAM should stay constant when nothing new is being opened.
https://streamable.com/l8ysz

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/3 19:40:30 )

@addy:
that was one of the first things I did, after checking the mouse speed settings. didn't make any difference. I'm having my mom test out the wireless mouse on her pc for a while to see if it acts up at all.

@tomyum:
I fixed the RAM already when I did a PC reset yesterday. There was definitely a memory leak, i found.
What is NIC? I think killer series sounds familiar but I'm unsure!
In any case, RAM is no longer an issue, it's been staying between 20-30% since I reset, even when I have like 6 tabs open on chrome lol

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/3 19:53:18 )

I have to disappear for a few hours to do massages! Thanks so much for the help so far.
I'm really starting to wonder if it might be the lasers on the mice. the wireless one has a laser you cant see but I wonder if they might be wearing out simultaneously... the wired one IS 3 years old after all. dunno the age of the wireless one but its like a $10 mouse

I am leaving Voltra
Find my links here

08 22 22

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.