Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Public Education System VS The Coronavirus

Donator — They/She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/12 02:21:14 )
★⌒☆⌒★⌒☆⌒★

So I am not sure exactly what I will say here but I just want a little space to ramble and maybe allow other people to ramble about the fear that is coming or has been present related to the coronavirus and how the spread is getting larger and larger, scarier and scarier.

I work in the public education system as a high school special education teacher. I help support classes that have students with Individual Education Plans, otherwise known as IEP's. So plans that say they get certain specialized services, supports, and modifications in their classes to help them access the least restrictive environment (LRE) with their same-aged peers. Sorry for that jargon, this is my life and I swear I know this spiel like the back of my hand.

Anyway, in the last week my district I work in has put all hands on deck in preparing for the fact that the district might have to close the doors for a certain amount of time. We have department meetings during lunch every Tuesday and this week we were trying to figure out how we offer services online, because it is really hard to figure out how we help meet student minutes for their IEP supports. In case this sounds a little confusing here is an example. Say there is a student who gets support in English for Reading Comprehension. The class is every other day for 90 minutes. They then have a support teacher in the class for that 90 minutes who helps break down, scaffold, and work through assignments to make sure the student is able to comprehend it.

SO what we are trying to figure out is how the heck do we track this and give this through online learning programs? Also the fact that a good chunk of our students do not have wifi at their homes so there is no way for them to access the content? The tech department is working hard to get hotspots rented out to those students but our school doors could be shutdown any day now.

Colleges in the area have either all switched to being online from now until mid-April, or simply switched to being online for the rest of the college semester. I was at a cafe and asked two college students near me (since I live right near a college campus) and the two girls told me that the semester is 100% online from this past Monday (03/09/20) to AT LEAST April 10th.

As someone who is awful with technology and needs face to face communication to explain information to my students, this has me so concerned. For most of the students with disabilities that I work with, you NEED to show visual and verbal content and NEED to be able to modify and accommodate materials as concerns arise throughout lessons.

I wish there was an easy answer to this, but there will never be an easy answer to going from 100% face to face in the general education classroom to 100% online with very little face to face interaction and teaching. Ugh.

。☆✼★━━━━★✼☆。

Donator — They/She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/12 02:25:49 )
★⌒☆⌒★⌒☆⌒★

This is so much rambling and I could say so much more. TBH I will probably add more as I learn more about what our plan is at the school. I have 1:1 training tomorrow with one of the schools technology professionals during my prep period to get more acquainted and prepared with our digital learning programs.

I was talking to a friend yesterday and what I said to her is so true right now
"When a crisis happens far away, you are concerned and worried but you think 'that won't affect me.' Then when it gets close to home and then right in your face, you realize just how real the situation is. Life comes at you fast."

。☆✼★━━━━★✼☆。

Donator — Whatever Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/12 02:54:07 )
Are ya ready, guyz?!

Yeah, so far all SUNY/CUNY colleges have been shut down through next week, with the rest of the semester being online only
The campuses themselves will still be open, labs will still happen, etc, but the classes will be online
Idk how public schools in the area are reacting
My summer job is just gonna kick anyone who sniffles to their medical provider, as well as extra hand sanitation stations, but otherwise no precautions. I may find something new out at reorientation aka Rediscovery, but that's about it guests tend to find out important info before employees

Put ya guns awn!

questShop

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/12 03:55:45 )
@kaichoukai: My extremely large district has been on spring break all this week and has just now cancelled all school trips outside of the state. We didn't have any confirmed cases in our area until after the break started, but I am curious as to how my district is going to handle this. Like I said, it's HUGE.

Right now, the city itself has banned quite a few large scale events.

They have been sending out press releases every few days and said they are going to send out one tomorrow about the plan for after spring break.

My particular campus is a low SES elementary school. My students don't all have access to computers/wifi- much like yours.
I don't have the sped subpop, but I do have the ESL/DIP/OHI subpops. If my district entertains the distance learning idea, I'm not really sure how it'll be effective or equitable.

The middle/high schools are all 1:1 tech, but not the elementary schools. I have 14 chromebooks that I have to share with 40 kids.

We have schoology, google classroom, and many other resources that are awesome, but not if the kids can't access them.
Even if the kids DO have access to them, I've got parents that won't allow their kid on a device (even for school related things) and I've got parents that have absolutely no idea what their kids are doing online. I have no way of ensuring my students are using the resources and I have no way to ensure that they are even understanding the concepts if they do have access to them.

As for providing the accommodations- I know I can make videos and provide that oral administration for assignments, I can add more visually helpful elements to the videos/nearpods/assignments and I can provide differentiated assignments individually to my kids through some of those platforms we have, but that is all IF THE KIDS CAN GET TO IT.

and then there is the issue of child care.
My kids are all elementary. They can't stay home alone and my parents are mostly low income and can't afford to take time off.

We've also got state testing coming up soon....

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/12 04:01:52 )
@kaichoukai: Ping again.

Here's a growing list of companies/sites that are providing their resources for free to affected schools
Click me for the list!

Donator — They/She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/12 04:10:14 )
★⌒☆⌒★⌒☆⌒★

@Mousy: I'll reply better when I'm on my computer tomorrow bc it is hard to do longer replies on my phone, but I'm definitely going to send this link to the head of our tech department at the hs! Thanks for sharing!

。☆✼★━━━━★✼☆。

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/13 03:54:30 )
@kaichoukai: well, I’m closed for the next week and then the district will re-evaluate once the week is up.

I’m sure distance learning is where I’m headed. I’m gonna go ahead and get my lessons together.
Please ping! I get distracted easily.

Donator — They/She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/13 16:39:36 )
★⌒☆⌒★⌒☆⌒★

@Mousy: We are pretty sure that we are going to be closed next week and then the week after that is our Spring break. All teachers here are stretched thin trying to prep and make everything as virtual as possible before we are all thrown into the deep end.

。☆✼★━━━━★✼☆。

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.