Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk A family friend has passed away.

Donator — Divine Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/20 01:31:57 )

A family long time loved friend has passed away. As soon as I got the news it hit me very heavy. I could not believe it. I told my husband about the news and then I burst into tears. We all cried and hugged. We burnt some sage and said prayers for his journey. We said the great stories we had together with him. We sent out our love to him. This news is very difficult for my husband. They were friends many years. My husband has had a difficult time because his mother and father passed and this all reminds him of how easily life can change.
How do you help someone who is very sad from having a love one pass away?
How do you deal with death?
How do you explain death to a child?
rip Popa Bear
I will never forget the prayers we shared in the dance circle. Your bear medicine will be kept in my heart forever. Thank you for that tight hug you gave me on Thursday. If I would of known I would of held on tighter. I would of told you how much you have inspired me. Like you always said "pokos pero lokos!"

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/20 02:47:50 )
I'm so sorry. I think you're doing the best thing you can - being there for your husband and supporting him in his mourning.

I would be honest with a child, but give them the simplest story you can. Let them ask questions, but don't give them more information if they don't want it. Let them express their grief if they want, but don't be concerned if they don't seem sad, because everyone mourns in different ways.

I hope the love of your friends and family is with you during this difficult time. I'm sure your words and prayers are heard.

Donator — Divine Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/21 05:33:59 )

@athabm: thank you

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/21 05:45:21 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@inatlaka: Omg, I am so sorry for your loss! It sounds like you gave him such a wonderful send off, and are trying to remember the good things about him in life.
I’ve personally never lost someone I was super close to, but I know I would want someone to share my grief with. Be there for your hubby (like I’m sure you already are).
As for breaking the news for your little one, I’m sure she has already picked up that something bad has happened if she has seen you and your husband grieving. I wish I knew the correct way to break it to your little one, but it’s up to you if you want to be vague (tell her the family friend went somewhere far away, and you can’t see him anymore), or be honest with her and explain life and death to her.
-Hugs.- I’m sure he will always watch over you and your fam. Take as much time as you need to grieve. ):

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Donator — Divine Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/21 05:52:01 )

@tsundererra: Thanks Love!

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/21 05:53:53 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@inatlaka:
Praying for you and your fam~ <3

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Donator — Divine Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/21 07:06:24 )

@tsundererra: means a lot ::digital hug::

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/21 17:32:14 )
I'm terribly sorry for your loss. It's never easy to say goodbye to somebody so loved.

It sounds like you're taking positive steps. Prayer helps put the spirits at ease and you are there and doing all you can for your husband and little one.

Continue to talk to them, if they feel like it. A chance to vent, a cry, or reminiscing of the good times had is a way to remember that even if that person is gone, their memory and love (and imo, their spirit) will live on within your lives.

I am Chamorro. We hold 9 day rosaries. A chance for all of our family to join in prayer, eat, see each other, cry, and at the end of it all, we party. A celebration of their life and a party to celebrate the life we are so lucky to continue having. So food, parties, family, friends, and love got me through this situation.

Healing comes with grievance and acceptance of their passing. It will hurt but you will all be okay.

My stepfather passed away at the beginning of last year from cancer. His daughter, my sister, was six years old. We had told her that Daddy was going to sleep for a very long time. That he will awake with God, with no pain, no stress, and no more worries. She is well aware that he is not coming home anymore. I'm not sure how old your little one is, but she may handle this differently

To this day, there are times where all of the emotions and memories of him come back, we break down and cry. It's more than okay to miss them and to continue missing them, even years down the line.

Life really isn't the same without them. But know that wherever they are, they are at peace. Lots of love to you and your family ❤

Apologies for the length. This subject does hit hard.

Donator — Divine Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/21 23:34:39 )

@mcmoney: thank you so much for your words.
Thank u thank u.
Soon the Ceremonial date will be announced and for sure that will be an amazing time. I really appreciate what you have written. Means a lot.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/22 11:33:39 )
@inatlaka: not a problem at all. take all the time you need to heal.

Love and prayers to you and your family

Donator — Divine Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/22 17:43:11 )

@mcmoney:

Donator — Divine Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/23 04:03:47 )

@athabm:
@tsundererra:
@mcmoney:
hello guys I just wanted to share with you guys this digital photo collage I made of my good friend.

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/23 04:25:00 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@inatlaka: Thank you for sharing this pic with us. Oof, your friend looks so young. It always hurts more when they pass before their time.
Does he dance like you? I love his whole outfit.

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Donator — Divine Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/23 04:28:51 )

@tsundererra: Yes he was one of the many leaders who have Aztec groups In Cali, LA. They all reunite when ceremonies are held. Yeah I think that is what hurts. We still needed him and his elder phase. so sad.

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/23 04:37:49 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@inatlaka: He sounds like he was someone respected and looked up to by many people. Do the flowers and bears signify something special to him? I’m sure he would love this picture, and appreciate you honoring his memory.

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Donator — Divine Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/23 04:49:46 )

@tsundererra: well the flowers represent the sun and he also was a Medicine Bear Dancer. He was invited in about 4 years ago with the Native Americans at the Pow Wows. They gifted him a whole bear skin and he danced in it on special ceremonies.

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/23 05:28:44 )
@inatlaka: That's a beautiful commemoration. Thank you for sharing so we can join you in honoring his life.

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/23 05:37:35 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@inatlaka: The picture looks even more glorious now that I understand all the meanings hidden in there. I hope they have a bear or bear skin at his funeral ceremony.

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Donator — Divine Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/23 05:52:43 )

@athabm: thank you for sharing these moments with me. :)

@tsundererra: Yes I hope so! This past Monday they held an Aztec Dance circle in Cali in his memory. I was not able to go. But many posted live on facebook. And OH MAN! so many showed up. It was very beautiful to see so many come together. I was crying so hard and smiling. His memorial has been posted and so I plan to go visit Cali in on Feb 7. Maybe I will head over a day before. I want to print out the collage and buy a pretty frame and give it to his daughter. Her and I super bonded before I left cali. I was always dancing at all of their presentations before I moved to Mex.

°<°art by Keturah🖤🦖🖤

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/23 08:27:12 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@inatlaka: Oh wow! It’s wonderful that so many people gathered to celebrate his life. ;A; I’m glad you and others who couldn’t make it could experience by watching it online.

It would be a thoughtful gift to get the picture made into a larger picture with a frame. I’m sure she would appreciate getting something like that and being reminded that he was loved so much.

( ) DERE DERE DERE

The truth behind Reaping Ritual 2019

Art by the rightful Mayor, Kiwi

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.