Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk work vs home

Donator — They/She Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/16 05:22:24 )
。・:*:・゚,。・:*:・゚。・:*:・゚,。・:*:・゚ 。・:*:

I used to be an extremely extroverted person. I went out all the time into the community and even if I was doing something by myself, like walking my dog or going shopping, I was outside surrounded by other people. As the years have passed, I have become less and less like that. I live in a very small town and the nearest decent sized city is a half hour away.

Another thing that contributes to this struggle is my day job. As a high school teacher, I interact with hundreds of people daily via face-to-face, through calls, via text and email. It is so much socializing that by the time 4pm rolls around, I am a husk. I love my job and I specifically chose this field of work, I wouldn't pick any other field of work, but it takes a toll on a person real fast.

I just want to feel like a complete entity instead of two completely different people.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/17 15:25:19 )
@kaichoukai: It sounds like a natural thing, actually, to want or need time alone to recuperate from all that "high school" interaction all the time. I know spending time around my two teenagers and their friends can be utterly exhausting (although I'm often not as directly involved with them in those situations as you are as a full-on teacher, dealing with multiple kids and parents!).

But it sounds like you're a little out of balance too... So, perhaps make a point of going out to that 'nearest town' with a friend or two a couple of times a month? Once a week? Maybe, if your time allows it (I know teaching can be quite demanding of a person's time!), pick up a new hobby or activity - something that can have you interact more directly with people in the way you need...?
┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.