Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Being an Atheist is a struggle

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/26 14:16:36 )

"I am an Atheist and many none Atheist don't seem to grasp what it is to be an Atheist. It is a title and there is no indoctrination or religion involved. Everyone is an individual within the community. Everyone has a different view of what it is to be an Atheist. I for one believe in Humanism and the Human spirit, in more of a metaphorical view. I don't rule out the possibility of spirits, i just rule out the possibility of a god. I am skeptical. Its also hard considering many don't want us to have a voice. It is almost an instant eye roll when I say I am an atheist, the automatically assume I am a demon child, even those that are not really religious. Also, the fear of people finding out and maybe coming after me, especially me being a Pansexual. I don't have it worse compared to many others who suffer from racism and bigotry. I really acknowledge that, but I still fear, especially with this presidency. I have seen friends of mine get beaten up more for being transgender or Atheist or anything outside white christian mentality. What is your thoughts?"

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/26 18:12:43 )
Millet, spilling the tea:

When I'm asked or in a situation that presents me needing to say so, for sake of most context I state that I am an atheist.
Technically I am an agnostic. I don't know if there is one god or a million and it is is impossible to know that for sure
regardless of whatever identity you possess in the subject. But I know if I say Agnostic the Christians/Catholics in my
life will think. "So...you're saying there's a chance!" (To convert me) Where I completely reject the possibility of their very
specific God and awkwardly pieced together and translated too many times to count Bible.

more friends of mine than not are some variant of Christian, and we remain friends because we are equally able to respect each other.
When I eat dinner with one family, they always do prayer with their three year old. I do prayer with them. Do I belive it does anything? No.
But I'm accommodating because I'm in their home and I don't want to confuse their three year old on why I'm not praying. If it was a bunch of
adults at the table I'd just sit quietly. In these kind of relationships there needs to be give and take.

In contrast the entirety of my father's side of the family happily disowned me for dating a girl when I was 19.
And that girls family I think pressured her into stopping dating me so lost my family (no real loss) and the girl I liked.
Thanks religious intolerance! /eyeroll

There is definitely a stereotype atheist, that are probably rightfully shamed. Picking debates with every innocent grandma on the street wearing a cross around her neck not letting people just live. and their entire identity surrounds atheism and condescending every religious person they meet.
That's just the vocal minority and people pigeon holing all atheists into that stereotype should know better. But eh, that's society.
The stereotypes of a group will always remain the visual of the identity to all opposing groups.

But you're right, everyone is an individual. For one I am not remotely spiritual (though I used to be). Until I see documented evidence in favor of it (which is different than exhibit A lacks evidence of everything else. so ghosts. ya. ghosts.) I give it a shrug- and that's just me! And you're just you!
I draw my line with religious tolerance when it starts influencing government or tries to peg it self as above the law. Ya-No.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.