Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat A Proud Moment

Donator — Inhabited Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/8 17:47:19 )

(I don't think this goes in video game discussion since it's not about a specific game but I could be wrong. *shrug*)

My best friend's video game got played on stream by a very popular streamer last night and I'm still reeling over it. I don't think I'm ever going to get over the fact 10k people looked at something I helped to make. I am so unbelievably proud of my friend though, she really deserved it in my eyes.

Have you ever had your work praised by someone you admire? Who would you show it to if you could?

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/8 17:56:56 )

I have had my cooking and my poems praised before but i don't care much about other people and i myself don't feel the things i do are especially good so i wouldn't show it to anyone specific.
By the way what game was it?

Donator — Inhabited Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/8 18:05:01 )

@Monorea: Personally I enjoy the criticism that comes with sharing my work, I think it's a good way to grow and better my art. Just doing your own thing for it's own sake is great too though.
It's called Ruder.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/8 18:14:18 )

@Francisco: When googling Ruder or Ruder game i am only getting a flash game and 7 years old videos of that.
I wish more people would criticize my work, most people just tell me it's good but not what i can do better which is what i want to know.

Donator — Inhabited Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/8 18:21:38 )

@Monorea: Here ya go.

And usually I have to specifically ask for criticism. Some people feel like unrequested criticism is annoying or rude in some way, so asking what they'd improve about it can open up more discussion. At least in my experience, your people could be different lol.

I'd be willing to look at your poetry by the way. :0

Donator — Winchester Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/8 18:25:12 )

Oh you must be really proud of your friend. I know I would be.

Donator — she/they Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/8 18:26:34 )
I'm proud of your friend too! Making games is no walk in the park. I think I'll download that after work tonight, it looks pretty awesome.
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Donator — Inhabited Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/8 18:31:23 )

@Tuijp: She really put her heart and soul into it, I couldn't be happier for her.

@Glume: It's a neat little experience. My biggest fault with it is a lack of gameplay, but that's not really what it's about in the end. If you come out the other end feeling a little grimy then it did it's job.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/8 18:34:49 )

@Francisco: I haven't written any for a couple of years but i do have some old ones up on deviantart i think?
https://www.deviantart.com/mystmist/gallery/
I have a lot less than i remember on there.

Donator — Inhabited Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/8 18:40:27 )

@Monorea: I have a soft spot for poetry without rhyming, it feels more like a flowing thought. I'll have to give these a good analysis over dinner later, thank you for sharing. :D

Donator — Winchester Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/8 18:40:34 )

@Francisco: did the streamer say anything about the game?

Donator — Inhabited Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/8 18:43:09 )

@Tuijp: Here's a link to the recording, it starts around 2:20:00. He was kinda iffy at first but he ended up liking it in the end. Said it hit all the right notes for "weird". We're counting that as a victory. :P

Donator — Winchester Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/8 18:47:51 )

@Francisco: I will look at it in a minute, when my cat is done attacking me

That is a very good victory! Lots of people are into weird games and, when a streamer said that, that’s good.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/8 18:49:31 )

@Francisco: If i have to rhyme it always becomes a bit forced for me so i like writing flowing thoughts best because then it feels like it all belongs together.

Donator — Inhabited Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/8 18:50:11 )

@Tuijp: I'd say Vinny was the best possible person that could have streamed it. When she messaged me saying he was playing it I shot outta bed like it was on fire haha.

@Monorea: Absolutely. Rhyming is nice but sometimes I feel like it's forced or unnecessary.

Donator — Winchester Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/8 18:53:32 )

@Francisco: haha best response!
I’d probably do the same thing though. Anything for friends.

Donator — Inhabited Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/8 18:56:31 )

@Tuijp: Absolutely. She's been feelin' kinda garbage lately so it was really nice timing for it. It was just a great night overall haha. I appreciate Vinny even more now. She's been working on a second one so hopefully this will push her to add more substance to it instead of all the ambient goodness.

Donator — Winchester Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/8 19:04:13 )

@Francisco: then it’s even better. Something like this will give her a boost and even more when more and more people watch the stream and get the game.

And, who knows, maybe a big game company will hear about the game.

She’s gonna get rich!

Donator — Inhabited Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/8 19:09:11 )

@Tuijp: Haha, we're already talking about how to make Ruder 2 more of a game than an experience. I'm thinking some simple puzzles, but a story isn't really in the theme. She's already received a few donations for the game, clearly it resonated with some folk.
A Lil Pixel Shop | Quest Thread

Donator — Winchester Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/8 19:15:46 )

@Francisco: mini puzzles in games are always fun. Some things to annoy the brain before you can go on.

Oh that’s good. Now more will follow.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.