Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk My boyfriend

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/03/11 18:45:50 )

"Our relationship is going fine but now his work is expecting him to work 7 days a week... Maybe a break here or there for 10ish weeks. I was like that isn't fair nor legal from my understanding. This company breaks laws daily and they make the donuts for dunkin in my state. It's disgusting and my boyfriend refuses to fix the situation. If he leaves, they are without a production manager, which means production will be shut down. Its truly disgusting and he doesn't understand this can effect our relationship if it continues more then the 10 weeks. If it doesn't stop by June, I will make a complaint to the Department of labor and have them investigate. They can't lie then. Even if he gets one day, they will call him in and no, he won't get over time or a raise for this. Its truly disturbing. I am kind of angry. He tells me not to worry but how can I not. His dad already is dealing with cancer and his mom needs help. Its not about me but also his family will suffer. He has cats too he takes car of.... His interest will be set a side, especially his music. The job is taking his life and they don't care. Ugh.... I feel like I want him to understand this is wrong and morally and ethically wrong but he refuses to really do anything about it. What do I do?"

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/03/11 19:55:15 )

"They need him. No one else can do production, since his foremen is in Brazil for five weeks and his leader is having surgery. The Vice President doesn't want to do production or help with it. So, he does have leverage big time. Also, the other manager for the other side of building refuses to work in production and refused extra hours. He been there forever and they don't fire friends of the company. It's a bunch of bullshit but he is staying this way he can use this as leverage. "

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/03/11 23:08:04 )

"Exactly. I told him that. He just doesn't listen. I think he is playing it safe cause these guys do screw themselves a lot. They always mess up. They don't even have a sanitation department. "

Donator — He/They Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/03/11 23:33:24 )

Nobody wants to risk ending up without a job, and some people will willingly blind themselves to glaring issues like that by saying "it's not that bad" to avoid making a change. I've done it, my friends have done it, and a big part of the problem was not having a support network to help us get through the process of moving forward. I would talk to him about standing up to his bosses and/or finding policies that back him up, but also maybe help him look for other, similar jobs with better companies in the meantime. It doesn't hurt to look and keep an eye out; he might be more comfortable doing something about his situation if he knows he has a backup plan.

AKA Count Trashula

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.