Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums The Undercurrent Tumblr Protest/Small Rant Thing

Voltie — He/Him/His Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/1 06:47:28 )
Hanging out here for the week long tumblr protest. I have such conflicting feelings about tumblr. On one hand it's basically how I discovered a good chunk of my identity, 70% of the userbase is pretty tolerable, and with the xkit extensions holding it together like so much craft glue on a popsicle stick art project, it's pretty alright. On the other hand, if you take away xkit you're left with the recent censorship and the other 30% of the userbase that is either bots or unpleasant people. There are tons of alternatives cropping up here and there but none of them have quite the same layout or intuitive design and because everyone has moved to a different place it's like I can't find any of my favorite artists or anything. The best I've got is twitter and I still only use twitter like two or three times a month. I guess this gives me a good opportunity to focus on school for a bit but I mean... UGH. I really hope the protest manages to brute force some sense into tumblr's staff but I can't say I have high hopes. Tumblr feels like it's been on the steady decline since, I dunno, 2013-ish? I've gone through probably more than 20 accounts since I first joined, deleting and remaking for a myriad of reasons, and I genuinely don't know what has kept me coming back all these years. The closest thing to tumblr I've seen recently is amino I guess but people there can be weirdly hostile and art theft is a huge problem and UGGGHHH. I mean, I wanna stick around to keep seeing my favorite artists and authors' content and all that, and I have a writing blog of my own that I feel obligated to continue maintaining, but so much of my day is ruined by meaningless discourse about how immoral it is to like a villainous character or depressing news about politics or natural disasters or global warming and I just. Find very little enjoyment in it anymore, and what little enjoyment remains is dwindling fast because of the indiscriminate censorship of anything vaguely flesh tone. Maybe being logged off for a week will help me find something less draining to spend my time on.

Voltie — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/1 07:04:35 )

I think a week off of tumblr is good for you if it makes you feel that way.
                But yeah, I agree. Tumblr has been quite a mess. I only go in there when I have to post something or if I'm desperately bored.

art by 🥝

Ping me if you want a reply! I like getting pings

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/3 11:25:36 )

Tumblr has been quite a mess and wil continue to be a mess. Tumblr really does not care. With every update they are like "we are doing the best for you". It's like "One day you will finaly see that"!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
                Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
                Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.