Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Entertainment Degrassi - Not just TNG, not just Next Class - We're also talkin' the classics.

Donator — ghost Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/6 04:34:25 )

So I grew up with the kids of Degrassi The Next Generation. I obsessed over the stupid drama and completely exaggerated and, at least in my area, unrealistic portrayal of high school issues. I loved that even though some of it was unlike any kids I knew, it still touched on so many issues that kids really do face. I still love it. I just went back and watched the seasons I never saw when I got "too old". Seasons 11-14. I started Next Class but it feels too different now, with the integration of social media and I just don't relate to the current characters.

I wanted my Degrassi fix again and decided to go back and watch Degrassi Junior High for the first time. I made the decision to skip Kids of Degrassi Street because I felt like JH was a good starting point when I'm trying to appreciate the 80's television style, which I wouldn't typically go back and enjoy now.

I'm on season 2 and I'm not too invested in the characters stories yet but man is it fun to see Snake, Spike, Joey, Lucy and Caitlin when they were so much younger. And the way you can compare the classic characters to the characters of TNG is wild, they always covered so many different personalities and found ways to make people who don't seem like they'd be friends in school work together.

If anyone else has seen the classics as well as the reboot and wants to chat about any of it, let's talk. I'm on a serious Degrassi kick and once I finish Degrassi High, I'm gonna start TNG from the beginning again, which I haven't done in years. Excited to catch more of the references the adults made to the classic.

EVERYBODY'S GOT SOMETHING THEY'LL NEVER GIVE UP

This thread was locked due to inactivity, if you wish to unlock your thread please issue a ticket. Instructions to unlock thread found here.

Voltie — boss baby Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/29 11:04:40 )
okay so I'm a degrassi nut too and I'm glad somebody else has seen the classics. so spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen a several decades old canadian teen drama:

the cold openings before the theme song always cracked me up? on both junior high and high, they had the PEPPIEST best theme song but damn, 9/10 times it'd always be something so bleak like a child being hit by his dad before "WAKE UP IN THE MORNING-" started playing and I would genuinely gasp? who made that decision?

my favourite was actually the final episode of Junior High when the school burned down and it showed all the kids just standing outside crying while the theme music played over them... the most tone deaf editing I've ever seen... living for it

I also love how quickly JH went from lighthearted "ohh Stephanie's kissing boys on the cheek!" to "Spike's 14 and pregnant." wild series.

also can I just say... Degrassi in general seems like the most cursed school to go to? everyone dies or gets pregnant or hooked on drugs, just a horrible time

young dumb and full of crumbs

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/19 15:13:35 )
Oh wow! I forgot about Degrassi!
i only watched the one from the 80s
i saw a few episodes of the newer ones and couldn't get into them. ^^"
high key wanna rewatch it now
i'm a rascally rabbit
rap game bugs bunny

horsey facey

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.